• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I am going to take up martial arts again after a 10 year layoff. I need something to do that get me active regularily again. I am doing this mainly as a fitness measure but also to give me a goal to work toward. I took Tae Kwon Do for a couple years and got up to Green belt and then got into boxing/kickboxing heavily and never really went back to TKD. I was wanting to do something different this time around though. I always did and still do have fast hands and am in good shape. I am slender built. I was wanting something that gives a variety of standing and ground skills. Keep in mind I am not wanting to "compete" in any type of tournament or bouts been there and done that and have no desire to do again. What art would you suggest?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I want to get into BJJ at some point but not a ton of standing with that. I have heard nothing but good things about Krav Maga if you are looking for some hardcore self defense that is a mix of standing and ground.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    find a good mma school. its been proven that no single forum can whip mma. i usto do mma and im not saying a 3rd degree black in ? cant whip me but all and all mma is the strongest martial art. i toook some traditional martial arts but always went back to mma.

my favorite is bjj, that said every form has its time and place. in a bar fight bjj is not nessessarly your friend. i usto bounce at a pretty rough bar. we had to call the cops one night on a drunk fighting everyone. i tried to be polite until he hit me. i took him down and put him in a arm bar. not a deep im going to break you arm arm bar but just enough to where he knew he wanted to hold really still until the cops arived. that worked great until his buddy kicked me in the head

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    find a good mma school. its been proven that no single forum can whip mma.

Good luck finding one that teaches all of MMA, chances are one will teach kick boxing, one teaches wrestling, one teaches BJJ. I don't know of any that teach them all in IN... the ones that do out of state are very pricey.... like $500 a month and up.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    I would suggest Krav Maga but then again I started taking it in Feb. and have a bias opnion.
    I would see what is available in your area and find out if they are a tournament /belt school or do they train for the real world.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Good luck finding one that teaches all of MMA, chances are one will teach kick boxing, one teaches wrestling, one teaches BJJ. I don't know of any that teach them all in IN... the ones that do out of state are very pricey.... like $500 a month and up.

i know of one in richmond and bloomington that teaches everything. the one in richmond does a diffrent form every day and blends all the forums once a week. they dont do every forum because there are hundrends of forums and variations but they do alot of them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    one thing to be carful of is a belt factory school. my kung fu school was like that and its why i left. they were always pushing you to get your next belt. it didn't matter if you deserved it or not. my instructer ask me " dont you want to be a black belt?" i said " not really i want to improve my fighting i dont care what color my belt is as long as i improve" he looked at me like i was crazy

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    i know of one in richmond and bloomington that teaches everything. the one in richmond does a diffrent form every day and blends all the forums once a week. they dont do every forum because there are hundrends of forums and variations but they do alot of them.

Did not know that but have heard about the one in Bloomington.... don't know what they teach though.

There is a guy that has a BJJ gym near me but I hear he is really hard to understand, teaches you two moves then it's open mat....... not sure how I feel on that yet... I knew of/know some guys that fight and one is UFC and a few were UFC and they trained there and told me they could barley understand the guy......... I know of another one up in Carmel....... it's a drive and pricey.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Did not know that but have heard about the one in Bloomington.... don't know what they teach though.

There is a guy that has a BJJ gym near me but I hear he is really hard to understand, teaches you two moves then it's open mat....... not sure how I feel on that yet... I knew of/know some guys that fight and one is UFC and a few were UFC and they trained there and told me they could barley understand the guy......... I know of another one up in Carmel....... it's a drive and pricey.

are you talking about chris "lights out" lytle(spelling?) or matt mitrione (selling?) i think they train at fighters unlimited or somthing like that.

the school in bloomington is run by a guy named tim sledd. super nice down to earth guy. i believe he is a assistant procucter in bloomington or somthing like that. one of his students doug "ants in the pants" sparks started the branch in richmond and goes back and forth between richmond and bloomington and connersville.

doug is a great fighter and has been on inside mma and mark my words will be in the ufc one day. the thing that makes doug great is his workethic.

there is also a guy named little rock that runs a outstanding school in connersville.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    there are a couple mma gyms in bloomington that I know of and two real good BJJ schools one in bloomington and the other in bedford. when I was younger I trained heavily in BJJ all the way to blue belt before I got cancer. my cousin is a fighter in the local promotions I'll ask him what place he trains next time I see him.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    are you talking about chris "lights out" lytle(spelling?) or matt mitrione (selling?) i think they train at fighters unlimited or somthing like that.

the school in bloomington is run by a guy named tim sledd. super nice down to earth guy. i believe he is a assistant procucter in bloomington or somthing like that. one of his students doug "ants in the pants" sparks started the branch in richmond and goes back and forth between richmond and bloomington and connersville.

doug is a great fighter and has been on inside mma and mark my words will be in the ufc one day. the thing that makes doug great is his workethic.

there is also a guy named little rock that runs a outstanding school in connersville.

Lytle but I never heard if he was there for a short time or not. I think Jake O'Brien was there for a short time but again it has been a while... I knew of a a handfull of guys that went and told me about this and if I remember right trained with Lytle for a while.... I respect their opinions becasue they all fight at different levels and I went to high school with some of them.... but it has been years though and my memory is not allways the greatest. It is the guy on Emerson on the south side of Indy.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head

There used to be a couple in the Indy area that teach everything...

Indiana BJJ Academy. Gladiator Gym(still open?), also I believe that Marcelo Monteiro is still around indy and is considered a top BJJ teacher

A website/forum at MMA's worldwide leader in UFC news, gear and events or mixedmartialarts.com should have a class/gym registry

I had a couple buddies who used to fight regularly and they swore by James Clingerman at Indiana BJJ Academy and he has a reputation as one of the best around here.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I'd have to agree with Krav Magra. It's to the point. Basically, if you carry, it's to the point. You feel your life is in danger, you take care of the problem. Krav Magra is the same. There is no messing around. I messed with Wing Chun, just for the speed/reaction time. Krav Magra just barrels through as the prominent art. So long as you are ok thinking of blunt force trauma as art.

Top Bottom