• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    The forum gods have posted a banner saying I should post something since I've been away from the forums for awhile so here it is. I've been looking through the 1911 show-and-tell tread quite a bit lately, admiring and seeing what catches my eye. When I decided to buy my first handgun, I ruled out 1911's because of the general price and the fact that they're more expensive to shoot than a 9mm. But when I visited the August 1500, more and more of them caught my eye and now I'm kind of stuck on them.

I don't know too much about 1911's so here's my question: What are the distinct characteristics a gun must have to be considered a 1911?

For those of you wondering, Sig's 1911's really caught my attention. I'm trying to decide between the Scorpion, TacOps, and Nightmare. Though the MAX is very nice indeed.... Decisions, decisions!

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The absolute understand that every other pistol is inferior, once in your hand instant arrogance flowing into blood stream, and the final test to see if it blows up tanks.

Most folks will say things like beaver tail pressure grip safety release and safety in hammer cocked position...hog wash, its all about the self righteous attitude.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are so many manuf. these days with 1911 variants. Anything Mil-spec GI based is as close to the real deal as you will get. Company's like Sig, Springfield, Wilson and so on offer an improved version of the original Mil-spec and the sky is the limit.
    Look at the Sig line. They offer some very nice pieces but I see the Springfield Range officer as a perfect entry level 1911. Prices are close with the Sig and it (Springer) is closer to the original if that is what you are looking for. The Springer GI is also a nice reliable piece.
    Remember, You are entering into a wide world of variants. Pick what fits you and your budget but stay clear of the Sub $500 offerings. Some are just fine for shooters. Some suck horribly. JMHO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The absolute understand that every other pistol is inferior, once in your hand instant arrogance flowing into blood stream, and the final test to see if it blows up tanks.

Most folks will say things like beaver tail pressure grip safety release and safety in hammer cocked position...hog wash, its all about the self righteous attitude.

Well, and maybe this as well..................................:D

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Does it look pretty similar to this? Maybe a different trigger, beaver tail or hammer? If yes, then it's a 1911.
    300px-Colt_Model_of_1911_U.S._Army_b.png

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    It has to be a single action only, single stack semi automatic pistol chambered in .45ACP based on the original John Moses Browning design pioneered and produced in the year 1911. There is also a half cock, grip safety, and thumb safety on all true 1911's. There were not to my knowledge any 1911 style pistols made in .38 super prior to 1924, those were M1911A1's. (someone please correct me if I am wrong) Most firearms made today are 1911A1's. The traditional 1911 is also characterized by a flat mainspring housing. Technically speaking an LDA is not a 1911, nor is a 9mm version or any version with a double stack magazine.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

Yeah, what he said :rockwoot:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Most firearms made today are 1911A1's.

Most 1911s made today have flat mainspring housings and long, curved triggers--neither of which were the most obvious changes to the 1911A1.

Most guns today also have dovetail sights.

What makes a 1911? The basic design of single action, single stack gun with a linked barrel. Pretty much anything else can be custom and I'd still call it a 1911.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Pick one that fits "you" and your budget. Never owned one but been told some of the "cheaper" imports such as Armscor are really good copys and function well.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    What are the distinct characteristics a gun must have to be considered a 1911?

It has to be a single action only, single stack semi automatic pistol chambered in .45ACP based on the original John Moses Browning design pioneered and produced in the year 1911. There is also a half cock, grip safety, and thumb safety on all true 1911's. There were not to my knowledge any 1911 style pistols made in .38 super prior to 1924, those were M1911A1's. (someone please correct me if I am wrong) Most firearms made today are 1911A1's. The traditional 1911 is also characterized by a flat mainspring housing. Technically speaking an LDA is not a 1911, nor is a 9mm version or any version with a double stack magazine.
    Pretty much what inccwchris said. With the exception of the altered hammer positions in some brands (Springfield, Remington, new Colts, etc.).
    Also, I think the 1911s with integrated rails should be called M1911A2. But that's just me. :D
    For those of you wondering, Sig's 1911's really caught my attention.
    If you're getting this gun to carry, be advised that a standard 1911 holster won't fit, unless the slide has been de-horned ("carry melt"). Sig's slides are square.
    Where a rounded top of the others will be a perfect slide in;

With425ATI.jpg

With40RIA.jpg

With30Kimber.jpg

The Sig will only go so far... and that's it (without tearing up the lining inside);

With50Sig.jpg

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

Browning developed the auto pistol originally in 38 ACP . During the Army trials the ARMY asked for a .45 bullet... so the 38 auto was made fatter to be the 45 ACP we know of today..
    38 super is a hotter loading of the original 38 acp dimensions..

a "1911" should at least be able to use other 1911 magazines for the correct caliber..
    have the 1911 grip style and safety ...

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Neither "Single stack" nor ".45 ACP" are good criteria as several companies make 1911s that defy both of those, most notably STI as they make a lot of models that are double stack and/or 9mm.

The easiest way to identify one imo is the familiar pattern of the pistol. All steel frame is a decent indicator but a few companies are making polymer frames now.

The best way to identify one internally, after seeing the outisde, is the swinging link locking mechanism combined with barrel lugs, 1911s do not use a linkless cam like most modern handguns.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Pretty much what everyone else has said ^^^

But preferably it should also be capable of accuracy like this or better even after 300rnds and being hot and dirty

My Springfield Loaded last target after 300rnds hot and dirty gun still holds groups like this. This was 32rnds into damn near one hole.
    001_zps72ead4c4.jpg

Also if youo dont like the "non-traditional" Sig 1911s check out Sigs Traditional line. Im thinking about trading my Kimber Compact for a Sig Traditonal Compact.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-traditional-tacops.aspx

Traditional Tacops ^

Last edited:

thecolter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    Indiana
    If you're getting this gun to carry, be advised that a standard 1911 holster won't fit, unless the slide has been de-horned ("carry melt"). Sig's slides are square.

Sig does make a "Traditional" slide profile line.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-1911-traditional-models.aspx

I have a TACOPS with the traditional slide profile and it fits every holster for a 1911 I have tried it in.

8011765129_ba531d132a_b.jpg

Very nice pistol BTW. Very well made and tight fitting, excellent finish, and far more accurate than I am. I haven't had a single issue with the pistol with about 500 rounds through it so far. Some don't like the external extractor, but other than the different look, it functions as it should. With everything it comes with for the price, you can't go wrong.

Other than that, I just shoot a 1911 better than any other pistol. Grip angle is great with the sights lining up naturally. The trigger on a 1911 is consistent and generally good despite the manufacturer (even a low end 1911 will most likely have a better trigger than most other pistols out there, not always the case though). The weight of the pistol really helps absorb the recoil of the .45ACP and makes for a nice, smooth shooter.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom