• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I started a thread about higher end 1911s that might be at the 1500 but got some replies about modifying other cheaper guns. Soooo, if one were to buy a base pistol, what would be a good one to purchase where "drop in" parts require little modification. I am thinking of stainless steel to avoid refinishing issues for now. Also I have read that some overseas manufactured 1911s can have a lot of variation in specs. All my mods would be with files, sandpaper, and elbow grease. I have put in a new thumb safety that has better on/off action than the factory one and can tie a #22 trout fly so I think I have a modicum of fine motor skills.:D

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Why not start with a pre-fit slide and frame kit? You can start with an STI single stack or 2011 wide body and start hand fitting parts from there. STI fitted slides and frames are match quality and a great starting point if you don't want to do that particular chore yourself. The 2011 also come with a trigger and the mag catch is installed

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I guess it depends on how much/many modifications you envision. If you're going to do too much than cost/benefit says to build from the ground up as you won't be throwing away existing parts. For this I would recommend getting a caspian frame/slide and you can pretty much get any machining necessary done by them for very low cost. If you just plan on a different safety or trigger or some small personal touches a mil-spec springfield is a good fairly low cost base.

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Thanks guys, would be fun to build one pretty much from scratch but might have to start with a stock pistol and practice mods with various parts. I did this with knives, too. I first started with a kit and then bought other knives and modified them. Finally made a few of my own from start to finish.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Come on...take the plunge and go for it...:D

I had never done much work on 1911...I always had Dad do the work and I just shot them. But I decided to build my Super without any help. Armed with a basic working knowledge of the 1911 and a copy of Hallocks I ordered that Caspian slide and frame and started in. I didn't have mill or lathe so everything was hand fit with a dremel and belt sander being the only power tools I used. Hallock's Book was a huge help. Took me a couple weeks of work but I ended up with this...

super1.jpg

I only ruined one part, a safety, and to this day it will shoot 1 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards...probably do better in a Ransom Rest but never tried it. If you didn't already own one or two 1911s I would say buy a complete gun but seeing as you do have some to shoot I think it is time to take that scary step and start building one of your very own.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Actually that is what I used for NRA Action Pistol. I still use it today for some steel matches. When it was being used for Action Pistol it had a shroud mount rather than the lightweight scope mount that is on it now.

asquinton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    If it was me, I'd start with a Springfield 1911. It's a solid base gun needing little become a good shooter. I have Loaded Target I bought which has taken a little work to get it functional. The triggers are too heavy stock so plan on doing trigger work to it to get it down to 3.5 to 4 lbs. The safety also is contoured poorly which digs into you thumb. I'll be putting a Wilson safety on it soon. With some minor mods, the Springfields can be made to be good shooters. Good luck.

Top Bottom