What level of quality is a Del-ton rifle kit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Yes, I did use the search button and didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm new to building an AR and I found a kit that I thought would be fun to try out. It's made by Del-ton and all I'd have to buy in addition to the kit is a stripped lower. It's a great deal and I'm really considering buying one in the future. However, I don't know what kind of quality I'm looking at with Del-ton.

Now I'm not trying to start a koolaid or a bashing thread here. I just want an honest opinion of their quality level. I'm going to guess that for less than $500 I'm not going to get a colt level of quality, but would I be getting something that's serviceable and without any mechanical defects? I could care less about the gun looking pretty, but I definately want the gun to function reliably without a hiccup, or I'll hate it and sell it off.

I'm trying to find some honest reviews, but they're either hard to find or I've been looking in the wrong place.

TacticalM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011

gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    A friend of mine has a del-ton upper and the fit and finish is spectacular and as far as i know with almost 10k rounds down range hasn't had an issue yet...

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A friend of mine has a del-ton upper and the fit and finish is spectacular and as far as i know with almost 10k rounds down range hasn't had an issue yet...

That's what I'm talking about.

I'm a rookie builder, but not a rookie at all when it comes to owning, shooting, and using an AR. For example the last AR I bought was a bushmaster. I thought I was safe given that they used to own themselves and make a good rifle. I had a problem with mine and never had any confidence in it after that. I just don't want to buy something today and find out it's junk tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys, and keep it coming everyone else!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    My 18 year old step brother bought a delton kit (lower "gifted" to him) and built the whole thing in his bed room with only a castle nut wrench and a standard tool box. I checked it out when i was down there and it looked pretty good. For the price, I say they are not bad.
    *I have not shot his AR for the record*

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    My "go to" AR I built out of a Del-ton kit, and I have had no issues with it at all. I think I gave around $550ish for the mid length forearm, YHM free float quad rail, heavy barrel and Panther flash hider. Their service was one heck of a lot faster than most of the other suppliers I have dealt with.

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Shot my buddies Del ton setup about a week ago, and it performed flawlessly. He got it during Black Friday last year, hasn't had a single malfunction with it, and almost has me convinced to buy my own kit next month.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've used their LPK's and haven't had any trouble. The kits seem to go together & shoot just fine. It should make a great hobby gun. Sorry I don't know if the critical parts are proofed or crack checked or staked (latch plate, bolt, etc...).

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    if we are using the infamous and ill-defined "tier" system, I would place Del-Ton in Tier 2.

Despite my hard-on for Colt rifles,I am not an AR snob. I also own a PSA middy and a DS Arms lower/Bushmaster (gasp!) A4 franken gun.

SmallTownGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Roanoke
    You can't go wrong with Del-Ton, my upper came from them and I couldn't be more happy with it. I'm not sure what the wait for shipment is looking like right now but I know they've improved on that. I got mine back in April and it still hasn't malfunctioned. Go for it :rockwoot:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Maybe this is just me, but I like to have as many parts on my guns match as possible. I also think it's going to help the upper and lower fit together a little bit better also. I'm trying to find the best deals on a del-ton lower as possible, but the best I can find is about $100. It's not that much more than the dirt cheapest stripped lower out there is I think it'll be worth it to have more parts coming from the same manufacturer and hopefully having closely matching finishes.

Top Bottom