• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    I work at a university (Purdue University Calumet). I am also a student. As a result, it is illegal for me to carry a firearm while at work and at school. I spend far too much time here to go totally defenseless, and due to the open nature of the campus, we've had some attacks here and there (most thefts are nonviolent and target school property, but not all by any stretch).

I'm looking for a good quality knife for <$50 that I can conceal in a pocket. Any ideas? Is there information I need to provide that I haven't?

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I like to carry a KaBar TDI for a self defense knife.

https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1480

1480_large.jpg

The fixed blade makes it quick to action.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Is there any particular advantage to that shape? It looks a bit small to me.

The handle holds very much like a firearm. It looks weird but is very comfortable and natural.

A couple of quick pictures. I have average sized hands.

photoon20100415at20182.jpg

photoon20100415at2018.jpg

There are several different types of holds you can do with this knife. If you just google the knife you should find something. KaBar also makes a model that is a little bit bigger but would be difficult to carry in a pocket.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    The handle holds very much like a firearm. It looks weird but is very comfortable and natural.

A couple of quick pictures. I have average sized hands.

photoon20100415at20182.jpg

photoon20100415at2018.jpg

There are several different types of holds you can do with this knife. If you just google the knife you should find something. KaBar also makes a model that is a little bit bigger but would be difficult to carry in a pocket.

Thanks a lot for pics! That's very helpful to see!

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    A REALLY REALLY SHARP ONE !!!!!....lol:D

Actually Wally world Has had some pretty decent assisted open folders for around your price range !!!

but if i were in your situation I would get something as cheap as possible .
    In case you are called into a boss or deans office or some situation were you need to get rid of it pretty quick ...
    If it is a cheapy just throw it away ...:rockwoot:

And when everyone starts bustin your B's for having a cheap knife stab them show them it hurts just as bad as a $1000 knife does ....lol:patriot:

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    SOG Flash II is a good choice if you want assisted open (its very speedy). Its low pocket clip lets it conceal nicely, but the thumb stud inhibits quick draws depending on your pocket.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Pick one that suits you best. Think about what you are going to use it the most for. Protection, opening boxes, general duty?

If you live close to Akron or Silver Lake, come by my place and I will show you a couple hundred knives. I use to set up at gun shows and sell knives. I am moving soon and need to get rid of a bunch of knives and such so I don't have to move them.

I carry a SOG Twitch XL

Jeremy_A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Columbus*
    A REALLY REALLY SHARP ONE !!!!!....lol:D

Actually Wally world Has had some pretty decent assisted open folders for around your price range !!!

but if i were in your situation I would get something as cheap as possible .
    In case you are called into a boss or deans office or some situation were you need to get rid of it pretty quick ...
    If it is a cheapy just throw it away ...:rockwoot:

And when everyone starts bustin your B's for having a cheap knife stab them show them it hurts just as bad as a $1000 knife does ....lol:patriot:
    I look at it the other way. If I had a $50 budget, then I am going to try and get the best knife that I can find for $50. Junky knives are like junky guns. If it fails when you need it, what good is the money you saved by going cheap?

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Spyderco Endura can be found for under $50.

+1 also. I gave my little brother an Endura for his wedding present many years ago and he carries his in his pocket at Purdue. He said in some places and classes he doesnt clip it on his pocket due to some freaking out when seeing it. For $50 you have alot of choices. I think the Endura would be best all around choice. Make sure to get some good training.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I work at a university (Purdue University Calumet). I am also a student. As a result, it is illegal for me to carry a firearm while at work and at school. I spend far too much time here to go totally defenseless, and due to the open nature of the campus, we've had some attacks here and there (most thefts are nonviolent and target school property, but not all by any stretch).

First of all, it's not illegal for you to carry gun on a college campus. It's against the policy and rules of the university. You may risk being expelled or fired, but you would not be breaking any Indiana laws unless you refused to leave when told to do so (i.e. trespassing).

Second, it's likely that the administration has as dim a view of a knife as they do of firearms, especially one that could be perceived to be useful as a weapon.

If you're concerned more about the university's policies than your personal safety, I would recommend pepper spray over a knife. In fact, you should probably have pepper spray whether or not you carry a potentially lethal weapon too.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I would suggest something more in the traditional style than a tactical. Fact is a nice bone handled knife is seen as less of a weapon by PC folks than something with a serrated black blade and black scales. You can pick up a knife like the Case Trapperlock for under 50 on ebay. You still have a thumbstud for fast opening, and a locking blade but in a much friendlier looking package.

trapperlock.jpg

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    First of all, it's not illegal for you to carry gun on a college campus. It's against the policy and rules of the university. You may risk being expelled or fired, but you would not be breaking any Indiana laws unless you refused to leave when told to do so (i.e. trespassing).

Second, it's likely that the administration has as dim a view of a knife as they do of firearms, especially one that could be perceived to be useful as a weapon.

If you're concerned more about the university's policies than your personal safety, I would recommend pepper spray over a knife. In fact, you should probably have pepper spray whether or not you carry a potentially lethal weapon too.

As it happens, it isn't the law, it is university policy. But like I said, I work here, as well as go to school here. No weapon that has an exclusively violent purpose is allowed. Knives are allowed, as they serve a practical purpose. Pepper spray is against the rules.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    wow, i spoke up earlier in this post but if you can't even have pepper spray that's just plain sad. i mean do they want to just raise victims or what? i am pretty disgusted to hear this. no wonder college girls are such easy targets for predators.

ohh well i will stop my ranting now but the case trapperlock is a great knife, i have one but unless they have changed it there is no pocket clip which means you will have to dig around in your pocket to find it , then pull out and open, in a stressed situation that is gonna be some work unless you practice it a ton.

have you looked into a neck knife also for self defense? if i had to guess lol i would say probably half the people who post in this sub forum all own a esse izula, they can be had for about 45 bucks and no one can tell that your ever wearing it and that way if you ever need it for protection just reach under your shirt pull it and go (which is actually very quick if you work on it.

or maybe get a little bigger fixed blade and get a custom in the waist band kydex sheath for it and that would be very discreet. and then buy a decent sheeple friendly pocket knife for your small chores if you need one like the case trapperlock mentioned above

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Wow. So a lady student cannot carry pepper spary or mace? If you look you'll see women carrying those little canisters as they walk into garages, lots, from cars to where ever. It may be time to break a rule. Just keep it in your pocket unless you need it. As for a knife, it's better than an empty hand. But, don't forget the first rule of knife fighting. Bring A Gun.

NRA Lifer since 1971

Top Bottom