What kinda ammo does everyone like to shoot?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Winchester is probably the norm but if you can find it, Blazer makes some pretty good ammo for the price. They offer their ammo with brass or aluminum case and have shot flawlessly for me through my 9mm.

After a time shooting mucho bulk ammo, it should lead you to possibly consider reloading your own. I buy self defense ammo and the occasional .40 cal in either Federal or Winchester but reload my own .45 and 9mm and it saves me about half the cost of factory; would be even cheaper if I would shoot lead instead of jacketed bullets.

KreatorOfSorrow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Peru, IN
    I had good experiences with Blazer, recently anyway. And not to sound lame, but I dont know much about reloading my own shells. I know basically what needs to be done, just never tried it.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    PMC has been hitting my fancy here recently. Also its really nice to get a ammo case when you buy PMC in 820rds of the .223 plus 1000rds of 62gr m855 for 350 isnt bad.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So what kinda ammo does everyone like to shoot? And what would you guys consider the best 9mm ammo for the price? Thanks.

For the most part, I only shoot ammo that I have loaded. I can not justify shooting factory ammo due to the cost.

As for best price, I only buy SD ammo. At the present, I would have to say 147 gr Gold Dots from ammo to go for $22.95 for a box of 50 would be hard to beat.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I had good experiences with Blazer, recently anyway. And not to sound lame, but I dont know much about reloading my own shells. I know basically what needs to be done, just never tried it.

Reloading is one of those: "There isn't much to it but there is a lot to it" type of hobby. Some internet forum browsing and a trip to a book store to look at a couple of manuals (The ABC's of Reloading) is a great place to start. Looking at powder manufacturer's websites can start to give you ideas. A minor investment of around $300-ish can get you a good start on the equipment (press, powder hopper, scale, reloading manual, calipers, dies and hand-held primer) and from there you research a load. It is about paying attention and being safe. Double-double checking your drops and cases length but once you get things set there is a unique satisfaction of making and shooting your own brand. This site and several others have great reloading sections with sticky notes on the top of each page going over lots of basic information. It takes attention to detail and a respect for what you are doing but you don't have to be a rocket scientist or brain surgeon to do it right.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Anything that comes off of my press is the cheapest. Outside of that, I usually shoot Winchester White Box, but I will grab anything that is cheap and brass cased. In 9x18 and 7.62x39 I buy Silver Bear usually. Cheap but it still shoots well.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I was always taught that most weapons will fire most ammo, but, there always seems to be one that the gun really likes.

I have tried as many different manufacturers I could and put at least 50 rounds of each though each particular weapon.

My newest EDC, a Ruger SR9c has seen..

FMJ's from

Federal
    PMC
    Speer Lawman
    Lellier & Bellot
    Fiocchi
    Magtech
    Winchester
    Independence
    and some others I forget..

I have test fired JHP's from

Speer
    PMC
    Remington
    Federal
    and some others I forget..

My current carry ammo is

PMC Spitfire 124 Gr JHP's
    Speer Gold Dot 124 Gr JHP's
    Remington 147 Gr JHP's

It shoots well through my EDC and it isn't too expensive..

I don't subscribe to the FMJ thinking for EDC ammo in the winter..

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    For targets, nearly anything works in my G30, though mostly 230 grain and comes in a white box from walmart. ...whatever is cheapest at the time. The Taurus 709 likes 9mm 147 grain. In both, Speer Gold Dots in either 230 grain or 147 grain.

The AK gets table scraps and left-overs ...it'll eat anything! :D

Jross1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2010
    I stick to Federal and Blazer personally. They aren't to expensive and still get the job done on a daily basis.

Top Bottom