• ...and so much more!
  • ruger17hmr

Shooter
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Jun 13, 2008
    Indy
    What keeps the society in order?

I have always wondered about what keeps us from going apes.

Is it the strong arms of Law?

Could it be the goodness in Mankind?

Morality or conscience?

Peer pressure?

May be a combination of all of the above.

If so, which one plays the major role?

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I believe morality and conscious, intertwined with the law are the most important factors.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" goes a long way, then "knock the snot outta someone that done you wrong" closes the loop on the ones too stoopid to get with the program.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Richard nailed it on the 3rd post....

Fear is what keeps a Society in Order. Whether that Fear is from Laws, The Leaders, The Neighbors is based on the Peoples of that Society...

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    Richard nailed it on the 3rd post....

Fear is what keeps a Society in Order. Whether that Fear is from Laws, The Leaders, The Neighbors is based on the Peoples of that Society...
    A good answer but laws, rules, leaders etc. doesn't stop an individual from bad intentions. The individual can though. Not saying I'm right, it's jmo.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I don't fear my society (so far) but I do fear some of the people that are in charge of it. However, I don't treat people right because I fear anyone, but because I would hope to expect the same of them.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Those velvet ropes at night clubs seem to do a pretty good job. Sure you get the occasional line jumper, but most of the time the ropes keep things five by five.

robstrosity

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Greenwood
    The minute that rule of law does not exist some people will turn into animals and the rest of us would have to fight just to keep our families safe and fed. Its not a theory its fact just look at what happened in the superdome after hurricane katrina!

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    The minute that rule of law does not exist some people will turn into animals and the rest of us would have to fight just to keep our families safe and fed. Its not a theory its fact just look at what happened in the superdome after hurricane katrina!

Dont let the pres hear this or we will have even more bs laws passed and restricting it. They certainly dont need any encouragement to pass more laws.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy

Rule Of Law? Must be fear. I live next to a stop sign. I know it's not respect.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You only have order when people have something they fear losing. Life, Wealth, freedom (as in not incarcerated), free ride from society etc. Once what they have of is no longer of value there is no way to control people.

Example I once watched a crack head play the payday scam on a IPD cop. After he was released from jail (the cop was smart enough not to shoot him) I was talking to him about it. He was willing to risk having the cop shoot him (risking bodily harm even death) for a chance to bring a law suit against the city. Seems just the slight chance of being able to sue the city was worth dying for as the crack head pointed out, his life was of little value.

The simple answer is fear, at least here in America that is what works.

Top Bottom