• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Just wondering what slugs people are using out of their shot guns. I use the 2 3/4" Winchester Partition Golds in 12ga.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    I've had excellent results with the Hornady SST's. 2 for 2 on mature rutting bucks falling with in sight. Last year the shot was about 30 yards, A slight jogging pace on the deer. I shot and kept tracking him in the scope and could see the blood POURING out of the entrance side. Turned out to be a heart shot that split the heart in half upon field dressing. It was the most unbelievable blood trail I have ever seen, even though he only ran about 30 yards parallel to my stand. I'm a sold believer on them now. I'd recommend them to any one.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    2.75" lightfield hybred EXP sabots...might be better out there but its what shoots the best from my slug gun and they have always shot great for me.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    Can't complain about the Lightfields, my brother has dropped 2 deer in there tracks with 2 3/4" 20 gauge Lightfields.

Lightfield, Hornady, Federal, Winchester or Remington sabots are probably all like trying to split hairs when it comes to true results.

The Hornady ballistics are a little better than Lightfields for longer ranges because it is a lighter, faster slug. 300 grs at 2000 fps. +2 @ 50, even @ 100, -4 at 150. So basically dead-on aiming out to 125 which is about all the further I'd want to shoot with a slug gun. Just me.

I do think, just from my personal experience, the Lightfields have an edge in raw takedown power in terms of knocking a deer down and keeping it there, but a lot of this is shot placement, also.

Isn't it great to have a bunch of great options? And think 25 years ago, the choice would have been what type of rifled slug along with what type of sights to go with the improved cylinder choke! And how many times out of 10 you could hit a paper plate at 50 yards!

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    lots of options for sure. back in the day it was like that too.."hit this paper plate 5 out of 5 shots and your good to go" I killed alot of deer with that old IC choked mossberg 500 shooting winchester XX 1oz slugs:):
    seems now if I cant put 3 shots in something the size of a coke can at 75yrds I wonder whats up with my gun lmao

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I'm a smooth bore barrel guy also and have dropped 2 in there tracks. My doe last year was 135 pounds and I hit her really high in the lungs. I use the cheap Winchester rifled 1 oz slugs. My father uses 3 inch remington copper solids and swears by them. The funny thing is he dropped a 80 pound spike buck with a heart shot and it still ran about 150 yards.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Depending on if I'm using smoothbore or a rifled barrel I use 2-3/4" Winchester Super-X rifled slugs or Lightfield 3" Hybred Elite, both in 12 gauge.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    It doesn't matter what shotgun I'm using, I've had the best luck with plain old Winchester Super-X Slugs.:yesway:

I've zeroed (sorta), Brenneke KO's, but past fifty yards, it's God's Will where that slug hits.:dunno:

I have literally shot everything else available, and I still go back to the W.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I only have smooth bore with my 12 ga. and I shoot 2 3/4 Winchester Super X, also I have an old Ithaca lever break in 20 ga. and I used Remington 2 3/4 Slugger

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've had excellent results with the Hornady SST's. 2 for 2 on mature rutting bucks falling with in sight. Last year the shot was about 30 yards, A slight jogging pace on the deer. I shot and kept tracking him in the scope and could see the blood POURING out of the entrance side. Turned out to be a heart shot that split the heart in half upon field dressing. It was the most unbelievable blood trail I have ever seen, even though he only ran about 30 yards parallel to my stand. I'm a sold believer on them now. I'd recommend them to any one.

Nice shooting. Congrats.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Slug.

Don't really know yet, I have only unleashed one slug in the direction of a deer in my life, and that was fifteen years ago. It was either a cheap Federal or a Winchester, and the deer dropped in his tracks. Hard to argue, when you have few experiences but excellent results!!

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Remington 3" 1 3/8oz Buckhammer. This freaking slug is unbelievable. Basically if you make contact the sucker is goin down. It's not a sabot, and its not rifled, its just a big slug of lead. I was amazed at how accuate it is, coming out of my 11-87 smoothbore. Last year I stacked up a buck at 75 yards running with it.

Trust me, if you are looking for a new slug, GET THIS! (yes a slug this size kicks)

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Remington 3" 1 3/8oz Buckhammer. This freaking slug is unbelievable. Basically if you make contact the sucker is goin down. It's not a sabot, and its not rifled, its just a big slug of lead. I was amazed at how accuate it is, coming out of my 11-87 smoothbore. Last year I stacked up a buck at 75 yards running with it.

Trust me, if you are looking for a new slug, GET THIS! (yes a slug this size kicks)

Not really looking for a new slug, I was just curious about how effective other slugs have been for people. When I bought my 12 ga. Ultra I tested the Gold Partitions, Platinum Tips, Lightfields, Copper Solids, and more. I found that the Gold Partitions work well out of my gun. I've taken 6 different bucks in the past 6 years with them and didn't need more than one shot.
    Thanks for the info.

Top Bottom