• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    As with any firearm , bullet choices and shot placement make or break the deal. Not say'n .38spl is the best, just my fav.

Mike
    Shot placement is key, of course. I mean in no way to knock your choice. That is for you to make. Just IME, not a round I'll own again.

One incident was a shot centered just below the sternum. The wound didn't even bleed for a noticeable amount of time after impact. Now granted, the round clipped a cell phone in the man's hand prior to entering his body which likely started the spreading of the bullet itself, but I wasn't impressed with the lack of blood (although glad the guy survived). Although, in a perfect world we like to think one round would be sufficient to kill in this case it couldn't be further from fact. He had some internal damage, but it didn't take him long to recover was still coherent the entire time. This was either a wad cutter or HP, I can't remember what was in the gun at the time.

Another incident was a shot DIRECTLY towards the spinal cord from a side angle. Had to penetrate only an inch or two of meat before striking the spine. Again, it barely caused much blood and it didn't even penetrate enough to sever or severely damage the spine (still able to walk/move coherently). I have no idea what sort of ammunition was used in this case.

Just not impressed from my experience, although I'm glad everyone lived had it been MY defense weapon I would have liked to have seen different results.

BUT I still shoot a lot of 22, so it's not always a matter of defense. Shoot what you like, comfortable with , can afford, etc.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Shot placement is key, of course. I mean in no way to knock your choice. That is for you to make. Just IME, not a round I'll own again.

One incident was a shot centered just below the sternum. The wound didn't even bleed for a noticeable amount of time after impact. Now granted, the round clipped a cell phone in the man's hand prior to entering his body which likely started the spreading of the bullet itself, but I wasn't impressed with the lack of blood (although glad the guy survived). Although, in a perfect world we like to think one round would be sufficient to [STRIKE]kill[/STRIKE] [stop the threat], in this case it couldn't be further from fact. He had some internal damage, but it didn't take him long to recover was still coherent the entire time. This was either a wad cutter or HP, I can't remember what was in the gun at the time.

Another incident was a shot DIRECTLY towards the spinal cord from a side angle. Had to penetrate only an inch or two of meat before striking the spine. Again, it barely caused much blood and it didn't even penetrate enough to sever or severely damage the spine (still able to walk/move coherently). I have no idea what sort of ammunition was used in this case.

Just not impressed from my experience, although I'm glad everyone lived had it been MY defense weapon I would have liked to have seen different results.

BUT I still shoot a lot of 22, so it's not always a matter of defense. Shoot what you like, comfortable with , can afford, etc.

ftfy. :)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Normally, it's a .45 ACP but I've been attracted to the 10mm lately. Overall, I'd still say I enjoy loading and shooting the .45 more than anything. We'll see if 10mm trumps that after I burn through a few batches of reloads.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    45 acp , great for defensive purposes,range time ,lots of data for reloading & also the intended round for 1911's ( favorite pistol to use with 45 ):D

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    I'm going to go with the .22 as well. I can drop a conversion kit into the ar. It has no recoil. It's cheap. It's cheap, and it's cheap. I can shoot 1100 rounds (2 boxes of 550) on the weekend and it isn't a big deal. I can't afford to do that with any of my other calibers.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    9mm

1. High capacity, yes, I like to carry as many rounds as I comfortably can. Most gun fights are over in a matter of seconds. I look at it this way, I would rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

2. Controllability: The 9mm has a soft recoil impulse. Which makes for quicker follow up shots, and is easier to handle strong or weak hand unsupported. I like pocket pistols, and do not like .40 in such a small frame.

I have owned .40's and .45's as well. I could shoot them all accurately. However, 9mm over time has become the best fit for me. The whole caliber debate gets out of hand, and is mostly BS to begin with.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Favorite for range fun: .22s- cheap, fun and I can shoot a large quantity.

Favorite SD Round: 9mm- Choice of larger carry capacity or smaller, concealable guns. Comparatively inexpensive and SD effective.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    This is like asking what was your favorite breath of air . All my little baby's are special in one way or another so .........OK..........the 22/250 is ALWAYS gonna be a smile maker :)

Top Bottom