• ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Fenix L2D for me!

Several other people I know have also gotten Fenix lights after seeing mine.
    IMHO, SF lights are way over-priced for what you get. Get the Fenix, more features (different power levels, strobe, SOS, etc) for half the price.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Surefires' main asset is that their products are very durable (aside from the lamps in their incandecent lights).

The problem is that they have been and continue to be way, way behind the curve in terms of LED-based lights. They have nothing LED-based that matches what you can get from Fenix for $75. The only lights they have that can match the amount of light from better LED lights are their ultra expensive weapon lights, and those still have fragile incandescent lamps.

LEDs used to be too puny for "serious" lights. Now they are the way to go. The emitters are inherently more rugged and reliable than any incandescent lamp. The amount of light produced for the same or less energy consumption surpasses incandescents by so much that it's laughable at this point.

You can see this for yourself if you get a $10-15 LED drop-in module from someplace like DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1) for your Surefire G2 and compare what it can do to your original incandescent lamp or even the Surefire LED conversion.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I kind of did the switch to Fenix a year ago from Surefire. I've still got four SFs but the Fenix lights have become the new EDC for me. P3D-Q5 or a P2D-RB100 get usual pocket carry.

Anybody tried Nitecore yet? I just started carrying a Nitecore D10 (ND10-GD) a week ago and am enjoying it a lot. There was a time that you could only get good illumination from a CR123 cell but they're doing wonders with single cell AAs now. You don't get the storage time or cold weather performance of a CR123 but for a true daily carry, a AA cell can work well.

Another hint... for lights like the Nitecore or the Fenix PxD line, swing by Lowes and check out the rubber washers and grommets. A big fat rubber grommet can function in the same role as the ring on a "tactical-shooter" light and still work as a bite ring.

IMG00132.jpg

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm feeling the lure of OLight . . . but I still carry Fenix. And Surefire. And Underwater Kinetics. And Photon. Etc. :D

shinkle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    johnson county
    by far surefire is my favorite. the small E1L is my do all/carry all. but i carry the L2 in my pack as backup. being a truck driver i got used to carrying a 4D cell mag with me all the time. in fact when my wife and i were on the road together she carried a 5C mag with her (they stop making the 5C for some reason).

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Okay...so, I'll probably get shot for even chiming in...
    But my favorite flashlight is shaped like a Hippo. It's blue with eyes that will melt your heart! You pull the trigger and it's mouth opens and shines a beautiful light....:) lol...seriously. Okay, I'm done hijaking....continue your seriousness...:)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Absolutely not.
    Well, maybe blasted in the eyes with a high intensity light to demo what it temporarily does to an attacker's vision.:):

But my favorite flashlight is shaped like a Hippo. It's blue with eyes that will melt your heart! You pull the trigger and it's mouth opens and shines a beautiful light....
    Gotta post pics of that! Are you sure its not a rhino?:):

Seriously, while this thread may appear to be boys bragging about their toys, you should think about carrying a modern high intensity light on your person. No woman should be without one.

Along with identifying threats in the dark and the temporary blinding thing, well placed blows with your light/kubaton will disable and or drop an attacker of any size.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    But my favorite flashlight is shaped like a Hippo. It's blue with eyes that will melt your heart! You pull the trigger and it's mouth opens and shines a beautiful light....:) lol...seriously. Okay, I'm done hijaking....continue your seriousness...:)

I have a cow light like that every time it opens it's mouth it moo's... Love that light... :D

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Absolutely not.
    Well, maybe blasted in the eyes with a high intensity light to demo what it temporarily does to an attacker's vision.:):

Gotta post pics of that! Are you sure its not a rhino?:):

Seriously, while this thread may appear to be boys bragging about their toys, you should think about carrying a modern high intensity light on your person. No woman should be without one.

Along with identifying threats in the dark and the temporary blinding thing, well placed blows with your light/kubaton will disable and or drop an attacker of any size.
    Probably is a good idea! I will def look into that. There is nothing wrong with blinding someone/thing from time to time. And although the hippo (yes, Hippo) is cute, it barely lets off any light! :) :dunno: Little Tykes just doesn't make 'em like they used to! :):

Jeremy and Bubba....Yes, mine too makes noise. I feel that it is safe to say you 2 are parents! :) lol!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Yeah, I'm the Official Seriousness Police and I hereby . . . who am I kidding?

WE MUST HAVE PHOTOS OF YOUR FLASHLIGHT!!!

If it makes light, it's good! :rockwoot:

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom