What is your definition of a SHTF vehicle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    BMTI*
    How does it feel to have the same sense of humor as a liberal? One of us must be lying......tried to rep u but it wouldn't let me..

*beat me to it

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    BMTI*
    How does it feel to have the same sense of humor as a liberal? One of us must be lying......tried to rep u but it wouldn't let me..

*beat me to it

It works. Generally, the things about which a liberal and a conservative disagree are not the least bit funny!

jrogers88

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    linton
    Id say older chevy crew cab 4x4 with a 350. I am pretty anti chevy but with the gobs of 350's out there it would bre easy to find spare parts

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    See avatar...

Got mine a few years ago.

Greatest mileage? Not really... but it will burn petroleum based products (motor oil, unleaded, tranny oil). Can camp in the back with a few people, room for a XL600r to scout, and pulls my m1009 blazer like its not there. All wheel drive and winch up front.

$1460.00 from govliquidators.com. Just needed batteries.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    early 80's chevy. 4x4. camper shell, custom bumpers including winches and gear.
    I think there's merit in finding a Chevy or Ford from the late 1970's or early 1980's. I don't know when they started switching over to electronic ignition and electronic feedback-controlled carburetors. Maintaining and repairing a points-type ignition system and a plain old carburetor would be sooooo much easier than a more modern vehicle with lots of electronics.

4WD? I don't know. It does add complexity and more things to fail. Do you really think you'd need four wheel traction when SHTF? You planning to bug out across country? And remember, a 4WD vehicle is just a two-wheel-drive vehicle unless you invest in limited slip or locking differentials at both ends. I think I'd rather stick with a simpler 2WD truck with a limited slip rear axle. But I would put some lift in the suspension and/or the tire/wheel package in order to raise the ground clearance.

I think a manual transmission would be a no brainer for this application. Again, it's all about reducing the mechanical complexity.

Oh, invest in a double fuel filter system. What gasoline you find when SHTF is likely to be contaminated. Carry spare fuel and air filters, too.

I think one of those contractor truck bodies with all the compartments on the sides would be just the think for a bug-out vehicle. Lots of places to store stuff and still have easy access. Find a way to cover the bed and you'd have room to roll out a sleeping bag with some shelter.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    If was really was a true SHTF scenario I would hope to bug in for as long as possible. I can't afford to be messing around out there with the crazies. I don't have money to properly outfit a well equipped rugged vehicle that would withstand maraudes, looters etc. Now if we're talking bug-out... I want non- descript, a full tank of gas and a bike stashed in the back. Think Honda CRV, Rav4. Toss your BOB in round up the kin folk and scram.

Although now that I think about it, a sailboat wouldn't hurt in a SHTF either. If you were near water of course.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    I think there's merit in finding a Chevy or Ford from the late 1970's or early 1980's. I don't know when they started switching over to electronic ignition and electronic feedback-controlled carburetors. Maintaining and repairing a points-type ignition system and a plain old carburetor would be sooooo much easier than a more modern vehicle with lots of electronics.

4WD? I don't know. It does add complexity and more things to fail. Do you really think you'd need four wheel traction when SHTF? You planning to bug out across country? And remember, a 4WD vehicle is just a two-wheel-drive vehicle unless you invest in limited slip or locking differentials at both ends. I think I'd rather stick with a simpler 2WD truck with a limited slip rear axle. But I would put some lift in the suspension and/or the tire/wheel package in order to raise the ground clearance.

I think a manual transmission would be a no brainer for this application. Again, it's all about reducing the mechanical complexity.

Oh, invest in a double fuel filter system. What gasoline you find when SHTF is likely to be contaminated. Carry spare fuel and air filters, too.

I think one of those contractor truck bodies with all the compartments on the sides would be just the think for a bug-out vehicle. Lots of places to store stuff and still have easy access. Find a way to cover the bed and you'd have room to roll out a sleeping bag with some shelter.

you make a solid point about 4WD. Probably don't need it, but if the roads get clogged and you have to go through ditches a lot, they will get torn up quickly. I would prefer to have it.

As for the transmission. I used to be like you, manual, its simple. But then I got injured while riding my dirtbike, tore up my knee real bad. This got me thinking, that if I had an automatic I would still be able to drive myself to the hospital. But, with my knee damaged, I had to trade trucks with someone to drive and auto with my left foot. I love manual transmissions and hate autos, but there is a case for having something that you can drive with only one foot/leg.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I just saw pics of the late Ron Hood's SHTF off road E350 van...... Holy crap is that thing beautiful. I may have to build something like that. It's a 1996 diesel. Not a top dollar starting point for one heck of a project.

Here is a pic of it:

24775_377546598340_3635259_n.jpg

Inside of it he has a bed, stove, bathroom, and a gun safe in it. I like the idea of a lockable gun safe inside the vehicle.

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    A real bug out location is more important in my opinion very few homes would qualify. They can not be defended as most would not stop a 22 round from penetration. There are way to many entry points that could not be defended. Windows, door,s flimsy garage doors, paper thin walls etc. Where would you go to be safe?

Top Bottom