What is the weirdest thing you have found at a thrift store?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It was not at a thrift store, but from a Lake County Sheriff auction. I got a heavy duty, transcription grade Cassette recorder with a case, all the cords, remote mics, editing foot switch, etc. Also was a few dozen cassette tapes, the kind you get in bulk with no labels. A few had dates penciled on them, like 8 or 10 years earlier. Those cassettes had criminal interviews, mostly petty theft, minor in possession, possession of controlled substances, etc. A couple were violent assault and an interview with a rape victim. I assume they were duplicate copies that were never entered into evidence. Someone who was disposing of that property was really sloppy in thier duties.

Call me obsessively careful, but I do not use the cloud for sensitive documents, or even public copy machines for anything private.

That thing about copy machines may be truer than you know. They all have hard drives in them now, and keep an image of every copy made. When the machines are disposed, it's not done carefully, and those hard drives may fall into the wrong hands.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    That thing about copy machines may be truer than you know. They all have hard drives in them now, and keep an image of every copy made. When the machines are disposed, it's not done carefully, and those hard drives may fall into the wrong hands.

Proper disposal technique (NSFW language):
    [video=youtube_share;N9wsjroVlu8]http://youtu.be/N9wsjroVlu8[/video]

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Value World on 10th St. "Love Swing", used. Did not buy it, did not touch it.

Salvation Army on East Washington I found a wallet and folded up was a copy of the persons DL, credit cards, SSN. Looked like something a person would do if they were going on a trip. I did not buy the wallet but destroyed the personal info.

Did the wallet say whocares on the front?

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I prowl the site, shopgoodwill.com - Welcome a LOT. About the strangest thing I have seen listed for sale are the occasional artificial lower leg. But keep in mind, there are some 'gold mines' to be found once in a while. I saw a 1926 Martin ukelele, authenticated, sell for $8,000.00!

Check out the site sometime, but remember this warning: It. Is. Addicitive. Be careful. I don't want to know how much money I've spent there.

However, I did find out recently that five b&w 8x10 glossies of a 50s actress were original photos.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Check out the site sometime, but remember this warning: It. Is. Addicitive. Be careful. I don't want to know how much money I've spent there.

You did openly post the warning, I should have listened. I knew I should not have pressed the button.

I am already in trouble. I just bid on 2 guitars AND a vintage lap steel. I DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO PLAY STEEL GUITAR ! I guess I may have to learn.

Listen to Redtbird, stay away, save yourselves!

Last edited:

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I've been there, I used to resale a lot on ebay. I got into the whole vintage snapback hats and vintage jerseys and made quite a bit from them...sadly I also collect them. Fortunately for me all the Wills I frequent started sending their good stuff to the auction site.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    And just for the record...in my opinion the weirdest thing I find there is underwear...used underwear...and people buy them?!?! I'll go commando before I do that! Family photos are another thing that I find odd also.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    Lol @ 10th Street value world. I found an erm "pump" let's just say it wasn't for airing up bike tires. I did not touch it, nor did I buy it, or try it out even. May have been perfectly new but I didn't need it.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    At a flea market.....
    Found a nice little lunchbox and thermos just like the one my daughter used to have when she was little.
    Picked it up, and my daughters name was on the bottom.
    We had sold it in a yard sale years earlier.

neat. did you tell her about it? and how you didn't buy it for her because it was $1 ?

Bought an old, large VHS camcorder case for a few bucks at the salvation army. Got it home and was taking out the foam I side. Stuck to the top under the foam was all of the paperwork from the original owners and a program for a high school graduation. It was MY high school graduation. The name on the paperwork and repair bills we're my buddy's parents that lived down the street.

The camcorder was bought in a 1993 for a total price including tax and warranty for $1,276.

send that paperwork to them as a gift. offer to sell it back to them for $500. :)

and send a copy of the high school thing.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I found this t-shirt today at the Value World in Fountain Square. It was only 35 cents.

This may be my greatest find ever.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Value World on 10th St. "Love Swing", used. Did not buy it, did not touch it.

Lol @ 10th Street value world. I found an erm "pump" let's just say it wasn't for airing up bike tires. I did not touch it, nor did I buy it, or try it out even. May have been perfectly new but I didn't need it.

Back home (Army town) years ago I found a....erm....suction cup based solo fun time thing......it wasn't anatomically correct so I don't think they realized what it was. Or just didn't care

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Back home (Army town) years ago I found a....erm....suction cup based solo fun time thing......it wasn't anatomically correct so I don't think they realized what it was. Or just didn't care

So.........

............you still have it? :)

Top Bottom