What is the most accurate way to find COL for a rifle ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I want to seat my bullet so it's against the lands so what is the most accurate way to do that ? Hornady Lock N Load system ?
    I'm gonna ask why? What kind of accuracy do you currently have? What is your load?rifle?twist?
    Some loads like some jump, some loads like some jam.
    I did the 10 shot load development test, and called it a day. And my load just flat hammers at 600 yards.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I thought most accurate loads were ones that were ~.002 - .015
    off the lands and that touching them is usually not good because it can cause pressure spikes or stuck bullets that can’t be ejected.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I thought most accurate loads were ones that were ~.002 - .015
    off the lands and that touching them is usually not good because it can cause pressure spikes or stuck bullets that can’t be ejected.
    That all depends......how much freebore is I your chamber? There are some loads that will benefit from being "jammed"
    The bigger issue I see, is, the bullet seating deapth has a certain affect on case volume. Seat that bullet to deap dangerous chamber pressure. Seat the bullet to far out, dangerous because not enough pressure to push the bullet with any affect.
    Now guys who "jam" say, a bullet starts moving u till it hits the rifling, then stops, and starts moving again. By "jamming" you build case pressure and the bullet moves down the barrel in one motion

Lefty Lawless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2021
    Southern Indiana
    That all depends......how much freebore is I your chamber? There are some loads that will benefit from being "jammed"
    The bigger issue I see, is, the bullet seating deapth has a certain affect on case volume. Seat that bullet to deap dangerous chamber pressure. Seat the bullet to far out, dangerous because not enough pressure to push the bullet with any affect.
    Now guys who "jam" say, a bullet starts moving u till it hits the rifling, then stops, and starts moving again. By "jamming" you build case pressure and the bullet moves down the barrel in one motion
    The load I'm using will be at the shoulder and not at the neck

Lefty Lawless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2021
    Southern Indiana
    This is what I used

Okay. That's what I was thinking.
    I saw guy that cut an empty fire formed cartridge at the neck and chambered it to get col. I don't know how accurate that is though

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have this one.

I'm gonna ask why? What kind of accuracy do you currently have? What is your load?rifle?twist?
    Some loads like some jump, some loads like some jam.
    I did the 10 shot load development test, and called it a day. And my load just flat hammers at 600 yards.
    It's for documentation purposes. What is good for 1 rifle may not be good for another.

Lefty Lawless

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2021
    Southern Indiana
    I have this one.

It's for documentation purposes. What is good for 1 rifle may not be good for another.
    I have this one.

I think I might purchase that RCBS tool

Top Bottom