• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Asking the best 1911 is like asking the best AR. It's an open ended question and set up for a lot of...well.......yeah.....

How much do you want to spend and are you looking to punch small holes in paper or possibly carrying it too?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1st....use. What are you looking to do with it.
    2nd....Budget. What do you have in hand to spend.
    3rd....Brand loyalty. Who do you love.
    4th....the need to realize this is an addictive acyivity.

Look to the middle of the field when entering it. Stay clear of the "Good deal" island guns. They are a crap shoot to get a good one. If you do, swell. If you roll craps it can sower the experience.
    Ruger/Springfield/S&W (and others) offer very nice pieces in the $650 to $800 range. Pick your poison keeping in mind what you will be using it for.

bonnellt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My budget is $600-$1000. I currently have a Springfield XDS and Springfield EMP that I am very fond of. Both of these are much smaller than a full size. That is why I asking the experts!

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Despite the brand loyalties that we all have, among the major name manufacturers, there will be very little variation. Decide what features you like, analyze your own brand preferences and see what catches your eye. Personally, Id recommend staying with a company that is established with 1911 models, rather than one of the new makers thats gotten into the 1911 scene in the last few years, but again, thats a personal preference. In your price range you shouldn't have trouble finding a well equipped model from a wide range of manufacturers. Ive had a number over the years and had the best luck with Kimber and Springfield, but there are a number of quality models available from other makers as well.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The question can now change to what's the best for under $1k. Sounds like you should look at a Springfield Loaded. I love mine.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    My budget is $600-$1000. I currently have a Springfield XDS and Springfield EMP that I am very fond of. Both of these are much smaller than a full size. That is why I asking the experts!

You should be able to get models with adjustable sights for that price range decently easy. Kimber, Sig, Springfield and Para would all be solid

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

You ought to have plenty of options in that range. I second what the others have said (in no particular order): Springfields, Smiths, Kimbers, and Sigs seem to get pretty good reviews/comments around here.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

The question can now change to what's the best for under $1k. Sounds like you should look at a Springfield Loaded. I love mine.

^Yeppers^

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    If you buy one in the next few days Colt 1991/1911 gov. from bugsgunshop.com has em for 710 then a 100 rebate from Colt. 610 for a gov blued Colt. gotta say this is a REALLY sweet deal, and a shooter right outta the box!!

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Sig once you straighten out the trigger in that price range. I'd save a little more and get in to a les baer. Used you can find around 1200 if you look.

Top Bottom