• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hey guys & gals, I'm looking for a portable automobile GPS system for my lovely wife's vehicle.

Garmin, Tom Tom, ???

Who makes the BEST of the portable units. Not looking for something that needs to be installed. VOICE DIRECTIONS would be a MUST have feature.

By BEST I would include the following:
    Voice Directions
    Upgradeable maps
    Ease of Use
    Completeness of integrated map set that comes with the basic unit
    LARGE screen, at least 4", preferably larger!

I've used the built in units from Audi and VW and like both, VW is lacking a bit compared to the Audi unit. I'm not expecting that sort of functionality from a little portable unit. But it would be nice to get a feature laden unit.

Anyone with experiences in these things?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I have a garmin nuvi..dont know the model as it doesnt say on it anywhere?
    I can use it off road as well,just have to change the mode of transport from vehicle to walking to get an accurate arrival time. the only time I ever had any problem with it was when I was going through TN and got near fort Campbell..it went all hay wire on me and said I was driving off road when I was on the highway:):

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I have used garmins and tom toms and I really prefer the garmin. I have the garmin 855t. It is quite easy to operate and has a lot of nice features.

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville
    I've got a Garmin Street Pilot 550c It is now discontinued but was one of the better GPS units. I prefer Garmin over Tom Tom

Get the best unit that you can afford, but which ever company you decided to go with make sure it is Bluetooth capable, especially if your vehicle doesn't already have it, and that it has FM traffic alerts. This helps route you around constrution and accidents if the area you are in has it.

Also make sure the unit you get gives specific directions....not just... "turn left"..... but "turn left on jefferson"

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Here is what I suggest.

Narrow down your choices, and go to YOUTUBE and find video demos of the ones you THINK you will want. I find the video reviews/demos to be PRICELESS.

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton
    You've got one that can read a map? Mine is useless as a copilot.

I'd rather have her in the passenger seat then behind the wheel. I am forever stomping on the floor looking for the brake. found out it is best to just close my eyes and pray we make it there. :D

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's as if I have two other accounts and posted those last few items myself.

Perhaps GM could gain marketshare by putting a 'Wife' brake pedal on the passenger floor?

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I loved my Navigon 5100 until it got stolen.

I accidentally dropped it out of my car one day and the LCD cracked, I called to see how much a replacement would be and they told me to ship it to an address in Indianapolis and they would take a look. a week later I got my 5100 back with a new screen, free of charge.

Top Bottom