• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Cool thread, I have been using a whetstone but am annoyed at the fact that I can never get it exactly the same twice.

Lucion

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Avon
    Just my opinion soooooooooooo....
    1) Diamond stone REMOVE a lot of metal
    2) I keep a cheap draw sharpener in my kit to put working edges back on my blades
    3) Keep an eye on the edge and touching it up occasionally works better than having to reprofile or start from scratch.
    Lastly, IMO, hair popping edges are the least useful as they tend to be the most fragile. Do they have a place? Yes, but my working edged blades seen to do the trick 99% of the time and I could dull a 2x4 with MY sharpening skills;)

Bob

I agree. A working edge is more than sufficient. Better to sharpen frequently than letting it get too far out of control. I use a little DMT diamond impregnated. Once you use it a few times it smooths out for a nice edge. Doesn't matter what the blade is made from if you use it regularly it will need sharpened regularly.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Just get a pair of Lansky $25 dollar crock sticks or a couple whet stones and learn to do it right. My God, some things you just got to grow up and learn. You can't buy something and stick it in your brain instead of learning it. People a hudred years ago who couldn't scratch their name in the dirt could learn to sharpen a frigging knife. Indians only sharpened their knives on one side and they could skin a buffalo with it.

I walked out in the woods today with a 16 year old kid and picked up whetstones off the ground that were mined a hundred years ago and taught him to sharpen an axe with it in 15-20 minutes.

It's not rocket science, stop trying to make it in to something it's not and just do it.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Just get a pair of Lansky $25 dollar crock sticks or a couple whet stones and learn to do it right. My God, some things you just got to grow up and learn. You can't buy something and stick it in your brain instead of learning it. People a hudred years ago who couldn't scratch their name in the dirt could learn to sharpen a frigging knife. Indians only sharpened their knives on one side and they could skin a buffalo with it.

I walked out in the woods today with a 16 year old kid and picked up whetstones off the ground that were mined a hundred years ago and taught him to sharpen an axe with it in 15-20 minutes.

It's not rocket science, stop trying to make it in to something it's not and just do it.

what?! you didn't teach him how to put a microbevel on his edge:D

Benjamin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I have a Rada wheel sharpener. It has 2 disks and you just pull the blade through the middle. Very easy!
    TS-KCRDSHRP_540.jpg

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've sharpend a hatchet, three tomahawks, and a machete on this piece of rock I dragged out of the forest two days ago.

IMG_0507.jpg

It is the cat's ass, I'll tell you what. I almost can't wait to do lawnmower blades on it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I thought it looked pretty good right there on that little wall. It's been laying outside on the ground a long time with out hurting it any... it'll probably still be good long after I'm "in a drawer".

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I like the lansky system. You get an exact, repeatable sharpening angle, and it's easy to save sharpening time by putting a microbevel on your edge.

I used Arkansas stones for years, and learned how to get a great edge on my knives. But the sharpening process took too long and eventually every one of my knives ended up with a convexed edge. No offense, but I just can't get into convex edges. And I don't have time to fool with bench stones.

I have the diamond lansky system but have found that it removes too much material for normal sharpening, and the grit doesn't go down fine enough to get a good edge. I only use it for reprofiling.

My "everyday" sharpener is the basic lansky system with the additional ceramic ultra-fine stone. I think this set is a great deal at around $35-$40.

I sometimes strop on a belt loaded with green sharpening rouge, but have found that my knives don't hold an edge as long when sharpened to this level. I usually sharpen down to the lansky ceramic ultra-fine and am done with it. I then try not to let my knives get too dull so I can just use the ultra-fine for quick touch-ups.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I know this is an older thread, but I'm interested in learning how to sharpen knives. I'd like to be able to sharpen everything from my SAK to my SOG Seal Pup. I'm not really interested in any of the kits or systems, simply because I'd like to be able to throw a whetstone in my backpack and sharpen my knives in the middle of the woods. Does anyone have some recommendations for a set-up that would work well for this?

Also, my other thought was to scrounge around my kitchen drawer for some old kitchen knives to practice on. While the steel isn't the same quality as my Seal Pup, I would think that I could learn the basics of sharpening knives on those, instead of practicing on my good blades. Any thoughts on this?

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Practice on junk

Also, my other thought was to scrounge around my kitchen drawer for some old kitchen knives to practice on. While the steel isn't the same quality as my Seal Pup, I would think that I could learn the basics of sharpening knives on those, instead of practicing on my good blades. Any thoughts on this?

This is a good way to learn. I first learned how to sharpen using just a stone. (That was before all the fancy stuff you can get now.) Take a cheap, dull knife, sit down and patiently go to work on it. You will want to start with a coarse stone for a dull knife. When you can take one of those junk knives stamped "Made in Pakistan" and get the blade sharp enough to dry shave your arm hair, then you are ready.

Top Bottom