• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Edge Pro, but then I have a lot of knives.

big +1 on an edge pro as I have one myself, but they are probably too much $$$ for the casual knife owner. for the money I think the spyderco sharpmaker is the best value for the money and can easily get a knife scary sharp. as far as wet stones I'm not a big fan because there are far easier, cheaper, and foolproof sharpeners out there to be had I.E. sharpmaker.:twocents:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    stroping is generally all that is needed to MAINTAIN an edge. now if you go to long and NEED to sharpen, i like the sharpmaker from spyderco.

but my favorite/easiest/fastest way to sharpen is with a slack belt grinder. with or without a platen.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Another big fan of the Syderco Sharpmaker here. I like it WAY better than my Lansky Pro system or anything else for that matter. Works great. If you run either of my EDC knive across the your arm or leg hair just once, it'll look like you used a shaving razor.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    23-710.jpg

It works great but is very labor intensive to set up.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    What works on titanium...didnt come very sharp and I've hesitated to try without knowing what really works?

It's my understanding that knives with Titanium blades, while light and reasonably tough (but not very hard), generally do not take an edge as well as the various popular blade steels. I don't think you can expect to get your knife "shaving" sharp, but you should be able to get a good "utility" edge. Titanium can be a bit trickier than HCS. Because titanium tends to gum up traditional stones you will be better served using a wet diamond impregnated stone. Do not rush the sharpening process as it will take longer to get a good blade back on it.

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    i like a convex edge, so 400 grit, 800 grit, 100 grit sandpaper is tops for me!!

of course followed with a leather strop with some BRKT greeen stuff on it :D

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I use a Lansky with the diamond stones. I have never (and I really mean never) in my 44 years of life been able to put a decent edge on a blade until I used one. I would always roll the edge no matter how hard I tried to maintain a constant angle. The Lansky took care of that defeciency in my nural wiring. I have never tried any of the others like the Sharpmaker, once I got good results with the Lansky, I quit looking. What is the difference between the two, is the Sypderco easier to use?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    spyderco SHOULD be easier because there are less steps and parts involved. if you like the lansky system you would LOVE an edge pro, but the price can be a little steep $3-$400. but the sharpmaker will get you a great edge.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Just my opinion soooooooooooo....
    1) Diamond stone REMOVE a lot of metal
    2) I keep a cheap draw sharpener in my kit to put working edges back on my blades
    3) Keep an eye on the edge and touching it up occasionally works better than having to reprofile or start from scratch.
    Lastly, IMO, hair popping edges are the least useful as they tend to be the most fragile. Do they have a place? Yes, but my working edged blades seen to do the trick 99% of the time and I could dull a 2x4 with MY sharpening skills;)

Bob

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Ti is really hard to work with. personally, i don't like it as a blade material.

i would send it to the factory, or to a reputable maker to sharpen for you.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I use a Tormek to get a nice defined “V” grind then power strop using white jewelers rouge. I always like a beautiful knife to have an aesthetical pleasing yet razor sharp edge.
    sharpeningservice003.jpg

sharpeningservice005.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom