• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    1st let me say "Thank you fro your service" and welcome back to the heartland. Now, let me share a true story with you.

I own a few different weapons and used to keep a S&W 66 2 3/4" barrel on the nightstand next to the bed loaded with Glazers. One night while my wife and I were sleeping, our dogs starting growling. As I somewhat woke up, the form of a man appeared in our bedroom doorway. With one hand, I pulled my wife under me and grabbed the .357 with the other. Then I heard the words I'll never forget............."Don't shoot Dad, it's me!!" Our son had come home late and was just trying to let us know it.

Since that day, the .357 stays on the hip or under the shoulder and a Mossberg 12 ga with a 18 1/" barrel stands at attention next to the bed. #4 shot for the 1st 3 rounds and 00 buck for the last 2. The 2nd to last thing I ever want to do is use it for HD (the 1st is NOT use it for HD), but if needed, it's there. Besides, there is nothing like the sound of a 12 ga being racked in someone's house at 2:00 in the morning. 100% of the bad guys know that sound. 99% will head for the hills in a heartbeat when they hear it. The 1% that are stupid enough to keep coming.......well, let's just say that a heartbeat won't be an issue for them any longer.

Go with the shotty. You won't be sorry. And teach your wife how to use it as well. You won't always be home.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    During my time in the Marines I never enjoyed firing the M9's because I felt like their trigger pull was way too long. The one time I went to a range with a 1911, I was more than impressed, however I'm worried about keeping a single action pistol around, let alone one with as much power as the .45 packs.

If you like the 1911 then this would be a great choice. You could also check out the Browning HiPower, although this is single action as well. A single action pistol is actually quite safe to store and carry. Another good choice would be the Springfield XD. It has a feel that is similar to the 1911. I prefer 9mm or .40 S&W because the ammunition tends to be more affordable.

Agreed that a good shotgun is a must have. Never know when you might want to shot some clays or go hunting. Depending on where you are moving too I would be happy to go shooting with you anytime. Good luck with the move.

js_silveradoss

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    +2 on the shotty. I got a remington 870 Marine Magnum with a flip up stock. It handles well in close quarters and can be fired at the hip. 00 buck makes intruders sorry!:flamethrower:
    +2 on the any Glock 22 .40 cal. My wife can rack the slide back on this one easer than on my Taurus PT92 9mm. More stopping power than a 9 but not crazy like a .45 :draw:

Thank you for your service. :patriot:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Glock 17, or a 19 if there's a chance you'll ever carry it.

The day you get your DL, apply for the LTCH so you can go to the range and practice with your new handgun too :)

jpserv

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    Greenfield
    would have to agree with mostly everyone, a 12 ga would be your best choice for home defense or a hand gun if you want it to double as a carry too.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Your best beet for homedefense is without a doubt a carbine, like an M4 a weapon that you as a marine are already trained on. even at its leagal barrel length of 16 inches it can still be easily manuvered around the house easily. I'd recommend a midlength upper from BCM ( Bravo company Manufacturing) about the best qualty v. price rifle on the market, load it up with 55 grain hornaday tap ammo. And you get 30 tries before you have to reload. handguns work but 55 grain bullets have proven to have a lower overpenetration risk then many 9mm loads, and far lower risk then buckshot. With an Ar you should already be familiar with the controls so that shouldn't be an issue.

and for the rest of you.
    things to consider about you shotgun.
    8 rounds be for reload, and you have to rack the slide after each shot.
    inside a house you will have virtually no expansion so you send an ounce of lead through a wall, because of the mass of individual projectiles. birdshot losses power the quickest. in ten yards I have no doubt it would take care of a home intruder, if lethal force is warranted, however past that not so sure. YOu may never need more range but why limit yourself.

can you honestly rack the slide an aim your shots with a shotgun, and you do need to aim, under stress, or would you rather let the autoloading capabilities of an AR-15 work for you?

whatever you decide remeber sights and lights. you should never shoot when you are unsure of your target, would be terrible to shoot your wife or later in life your daughter because they made a lot of noise when coming home, didn't wake you and then procede through the house without turning on the lights.

if you go the AR route several manufactures make front night sights fo the AR-15 XS, and troy industries come to mind, these will let you know the general direction you are aiming,

weapon lights, there are theroies, ideas, and discussions around them that can rage longer then the 1911v glock debate, but my 2 cents would be to get an M3 pistol light ( or similar) you can easily attach it to a rail on any rifle, it is easy to activate when you decide to. and they ofetn can work in the dark like a sight as many pistol lights will center aroud your point of impact at 25 yards. My suggestion, in the event of a home invasion is to stay in your bedroom, and declare you have called the police and you have a gun, if they try to break in then shoot, ( allowiing your insurance company to be your friends replacing your TV, is cheaper and less hassle then shooting someone) but if you decide to investigate a bump in the night, I would try and find the cause of the disturbance then turn on your light, to identify your target.

there is serious and substantial areguments against this and towards using a handheld lights as you may find it a bit unsettling to point your rifle ( at the same time as your light) at a family member before identifying if you are going to shoot.

And as a side note, this is probably the most critical thing I have said on this board, but in the dark with a door closed the sound of a pistol, rifel or shotgun being racked is virtually indistinguishable, let alone through walls and a few doors, over the span of 50 feet, relying on the sound of the guns action to scare away a badguy is as narrowminded and uneducated a view as one could have. And for all the arm chair commandos that want to think "tactically" making noise gives away your position, and alerts them you are awake, someone after your tv may run, someone who is there with the intent of hurting you, now knows where you are.

Last edited:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    and for the rest of you.
    things to consider about you shotgun.
    8 rounds be for reload, and you have to rack the slide after each shot.
    inside a house you will have virtually no expansion so you send an ounce of lead through a wall, because of the mass of individual projectiles. birdshot losses power the quickest. in ten yards I have no doubt it would take care of a home intruder, if lethal force is warranted, however past that not so sure. YOu may never need more range but why limit yourself.

can you honestly rack the slide an aim your shots with a shotgun, and you do need to aim, under stress, or would you rather let the autoloading capabilities of an AR-15 work for you?

You have never trained with a shotgun have you? As far as reloads go, if you aren't shooting you are reloading. If you need more then 8 rounds you either can't shoot or are being invaded by some foreign army but, either way, magazine capacity isn't your problem.

If you have shotgun training or are even familiar at all with a shotgun you can efficiently rack the slide between shots. That is a poor argument against the shotgun. At inside a house ranges a shotgun is the most devastating weapon available.(except for when people are duped into thinking they should use bird shot on bad guys.)

Here is an experiment for you. Go to a shooting range with a buddy that is proficient with a shotgun. Set up two silhouette targets. Load your 30 round magazine and have him load 8 buck shot shells. See who can put more holes on target the fastest without a reload. Even if you can unload your 30 before he gets done with his 8 (which is unlikely) there will still be more holes in his target.

With all that said I understand why people choose a carbine for home defense. I really have nothing to say against it. I just recommend a shotgun.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Shotgun is not the best for home defense in my opinion.

If you are clearing rooms it is too easy for someone to grab the long end and push it up or away.

A good pistol should be your first choice and then back it up with a good rifle.

Next we'll hear that birdshot is a good home defense load.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    You have never trained with a shotgun have you? As far as reloads go, if you aren't shooting you are reloading.

If you have shotgun training or are even familiar at all with a shotgun you can efficiently rack the slide between shots. That is a poor argument against the shotgun. At inside a house ranges a shotgun is the most devastating weapon available.(except for when people are duped into thinking they should use bird shot on bad guys.)

Here is an experiment for you. Go to a shooting range with a buddy that is proficient with a shotgun. Set up two silhouette targets. Load your 30 round magazine and have him load 8 buck shot shells. See who can put more holes on target the fastest without a reload. Even if you can unload your 30 before he gets done with his 8 (which is unlikely) there will still be more holes in his target.

With all that said I understand why people choose a carbine for home defense. I really have nothing to say against it. I just recommend a shotgun.

No I have never trained with a shotgun not past trapshooting bird hunting.
    My argument for capacity is based off the better to have and not need mentality.

AS far as being able to rack the slide, I realise that isn't a problemn, I am just thinking about a stressful situation, haven't been shot at in a while, and never been oke up in the middle of the night and had to shoot at someone so I can't say how I react under that stress. I have however been around stressful situations, and often times people in them forget things. this why I argue against using a pump gun.

Recoil is something else to be considered and how fast do you get a second shot off, if you miss? and as you stated a shotgun is terribly devistating at halway ranges, but think about that if you miss, I understand the " know your target and whats beyond" rule, but in the middle of the night under stress, and potentially being shot at, can you say you'll always know whats beyond it? or say perhaps your daughter had a sleep over and there are 5 little girls camped out in your spare room?

Sorry for being a bit confrontational, I just tend to see these are things people over look, and again This case in particular or interested party claims to be a marine, so he has training with an AR he can fall back on, something too few ever receive, I'm sure you'll agree a gun is good, a gunm and training even better?

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Shotgun is not the best for home defense in my opinion.

If you are clearing rooms it is too easy for someone to grab the long end and push it up or away.

A good pistol should be your first choice and then back it up with a good rifle.

Next we'll hear that birdshot is a good home defense load.

Better then throwing rocks, but not ideal, the best is when people suggest rocksalt.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    No I have never trained with a shotgun not past trapshooting bird hunting.
    My argument for capacity is based off the better to have and not need mentality.

I can understand that.

AS far as being able to rack the slide, I realise that isn't a problemn, I am just thinking about a stressful situation, haven't been shot at in a while, and never been oke up in the middle of the night and had to shoot at someone so I can't say how I react under that stress. I have however been around stressful situations, and often times people in them forget things. this why I argue against using a pump gun.

These are valid concerns. Again, it is a training issue though.

Recoil is something else to be considered and how fast do you get a second shot off, if you miss? and as you stated a shotgun is terribly devistating at halway ranges, but think about that if you miss, I understand the " know your target and whats beyond" rule, but in the middle of the night under stress, and potentially being shot at, can you say you'll always know whats beyond it? or say perhaps your daughter had a sleep over and there are 5 little girls camped out in your spare room?

My guess would be that I can pull the trigger about half as fast a someone with an AR. That is, I could shoot eight shots in the time it would take you to shoot sixteen. It is slower, but not a deal breaker IMHO. That is my 64 projectiles vs. your 16 projectiles.

I'm not sure that I would be comfortable missing my target with any weapon. It is of small comfort to miss the BG and hit a family member whether it is a shotgun, AR or a pistol. A pre made plan for a home invasion or bump in the night scenario will decrease the risk.

Sorry for being a bit confrontational, I just tend to see these are things people over look, and again This case in particular or interested party claims to be a marine, so he has training with an AR he can fall back on, something too few ever receive, I'm sure you'll agree a gun is good, a gunm and training even better?

This is also a valid point. Choosing a gun that you are already familiar with is a big plus. I'm also not knocking the choice of a carbine for home defense. Lots of people do it. They are an effective choice. To each his own.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    This is also a valid point. Choosing a gun that you are already familiar with is a big plus. I'm also not knocking the choice of a carbine for home defense. Lots of people do it. They are an effective choice. To each his own.

I appreciate the discussion, and the fact it didn't snow ball into an argument. I am personally without an Ar and am most comfortable with my glock 19 a flashlight, or my AK. I don't play with shotguns let alone buckshot enough to make it a chice right now, plus my schedule procludes not having a set plan, as I never really know if my brother has a " visitor" or if my dad will be sleeping at his house or his girlfriends, and two-three days a week I sleep on a couch of capmus in west lafayette, and my buddy lives with two roomates. so for me a pistol a easy to hide, and a flashlight helps me figure out hats going on. When I have my own home, and family, this will probably change.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I appreciate the discussion, and the fact it didn't snow ball into an argument. I am personally without an Ar and am most comfortable with my glock 19 a flashlight, or my AK. I don't play with shotguns let alone buckshot enough to make it a chice right now, plus my schedule procludes not having a set plan, as I never really know if my brother has a " visitor" or if my dad will be sleeping at his house or his girlfriends, and two-three days a week I sleep on a couch of capmus in west lafayette, and my buddy lives with two roomates. so for me a pistol a easy to hide, and a flashlight helps me figure out hats going on. When I have my own home, and family, this will probably change.

:cheers:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If one is going to own one gun for home defense, or start off with just the one gun, I recommend a handgun. They offer a versatility that a shotgun cannot match.

You cannot reasonably barricade the family and call the police for every bump in the night. Sometimes you need to go check for yourself. A handgun is much easier to maneuver through the house, less prone to being successfully snatched or becoming the object of a struggle if a bad guy is there, it's more likely to be near at hand.

While you CAN open the door with a shotgun at hand when someone knocks, the neighbors will quickly talk :D OTOH, you can open the door with the handgun on your side, or even in your hand, with a great deal of discretion.

It's comfortable, and good practice, to wear your handgun in the house. Bad guys may not give you time to run to the bedroom and get your gun. I've faced this problem once in Albuquerque. Thankfully, while I was running for my bedroom with the guy who'd just forced my door on my heels, my 6 mo old German Sheppard puppy started eating him. Carrying a shotgun around the house while, again, possible, simply isn't feasible.

Best course of action is, of course, to have both handy. But your first should be a handgun.

As to which one? Handle some, fire some of your friends, find one that works for you. One you will be willing to wear in the house, and out. You get to protect your family out in public here, too, ya know :) Caliber doesn't matter much, so long as it's .38 Special +P and up.

Revolvers are easy to learn, and dead solid reliable. While it's possible for them to malfunction, the odds are so low that if one malfunctions during a gun fight, God wants you dead and you are screwed anyway. Many semi-autos are nearly as reliable. Springfield Armory XDs, Glocks, S&W M&Ps are the newer generation of combat handguns. All share basically equal records for reliability, though the Glock's record is longer. All are tough, all are light and easy to carry. They each feel different in the hand, which is one of the bigger choices to make. The XD and M&P are available with manual safeties. Any of the three is a superb defensive tool, and offer plenty of opportunities for sport shooting, as well. The Beretta 92FS, with it's long trigger and manual safety, offers some possible safety benefits, and has a proven track record of accuracy and reliability. Not to mention being gorgeous guns and smooth as butter. The 1911 models are wonderful choices, with a wide budget and gadget range to choose from.

One advantage to a semi-auto in the house with small kids, or kids that you cannot yet trust to keep their hands off the guns, is that the smaller kids cannot cycle the slide. You can leave it chamber empty, and gain an additional measure of safety. Still, it's hard to beat a handgun on the hip for keeping it out of reach of kids. Something else that's not practical for a shotgun.

Your choice of defensive handgun is wide, and you'll need to put a lot of study into it. Make a lot of that study hands on. There are lots more choices than the ones I listed... Rugers, Sigs, H&Ks, CZs, etc. Gotta get hands on, find one you like, and study up on it. Don't forget to check on availibility of accessories and such. This is one reason why I've moved away from revolvers, which I think have real advantages as a combat arm for most folks. It's still possible to get holster, speed loaders, speed strips, etc., in the stores, but not all stores, it's getting harder.

While shopping for guns, shop for training. While you CAN just pick up a handgun, toss it in a drawer, and hope for the best, I'm sure you are aware that isn't the best course of action. Handguns are harder to shoot well than shotguns or rifles, and also offer more possibilities in defensive scenarios. Good training will teach you how to get the most out of your handgun.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Shotgun for starters. When you get settled in, go ahead and apply for your LTCH, License to Carry Handgun.

While you are waiting the couple of months for that to process, just ask members here for help. Many of us love to go shoot anyway and would have no problem letting you tag along to the range to put a few rounds down range to help you decide.

I'll be the first to offer up my Glock 23. I prefer .40 caliber because it offers higher power than a 9mm, while also giving me higher capacity magazines. Other great bullet launchers in this caliber include Springfield Armory XDm and Smith-Wesson M&P models.

Thank you for your service Marine :patriot:

And I'll offer up my XD9sc, as well as my wife's RIA 1911.

endlesstee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Thanks for all the feedback. For the time being, as I try to figure out exactly when and where I'm moving (actually, now it has become an "if"), I'll be mulling all this over and researching as much as possible.

Are there any threads here or elsewhere on the internet dedicated to lighting a home and geared toward defense? This is an aspect of my household security that I had not even begun to consider. Some sort of preliminary mock-flashbang (probably no bang) area would be incredible if constructed correctly.

As an aside, I'd tried to PM "Bart" but since I'm so new here I don't think it went through, so, don't take it personally.

As an aside to an aside, thanks for everyone that said "thanks for your service". It's something that I barely ever heard during my time in the military. I've since made it a point to say thanks to anyone on active duty that I see walking around in hopes that I can let them know their time and hard work is worthwhile. Likewise, thanks to all of the other prior-or current-service men/women I've seen posting around here (there are quite a few, it seems).

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    You might want to take a look at the Bersa 9 or 45 line. The Bersa 9UC Pro is a nice gun that has a 1911 style thumb safety and will not break the bank. My son just picked up the Bersa 45UC Pro and likes it a lot. I had no break in issues with my 9, but his first hundred rounds had a few FTL using WWB ammo. I think he's limp wristing it, but he just tells me to bugger off when I suggest that :).

I also have a Springfield 1911 and chose the Bersa because I like the external hammer and thumb safety. The fact that it's pretty accurate does not hurt either.

Oh, and thanks for your service to our country.

bwhamilton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Look for a Maverick 88 or Mossberg 500. The Maverick can be had for like 2-300 and is a fairly reliable pump. Got two for my parents for their upstairs/downstairs closets.

Oh, and you can get it in a pistol grip to reduce space. Pretty nice gun at a killer price.

Top Bottom