What if you carry but walk your child to and from school?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Why not try and get written permission from the school corp allowing you to carry to the door to pick your child up.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Are you safe if let's say you go to pick up your kid from practice, and they take longer than expected so you park your vehicle and turn it off but not set foot out of said car?

Yes. You're OK in that circumstance.

Whoa there, I would be careful on that one. The law specifically states that a person is only exempt while they are operating the vehicle. I wouldn't take the chance of shutting the engine off, even more so while pulling into a parking area, as you might no longer be considered to be operating the vehicle at that time. It may be splitting hairs, but that's precisely what prosecutors are good at. In the Newson case, while he actually exited the vehicle, he was specifically dinged because he was not actively operating the vehicle.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    But you can get a dui for having the keys in the ignition.

Maybe. Keys in ignition, motor running for the heater, but asleep in the back seat = not DUI per the courts. Key in the ignition, drunk in the drivers's seat, probably DUI.

If you're worried about vicious dogs you should just carry a baseball bat or walking stick during the walk. Unless they are pit bulls (not that I have anything against pits, but they are strong dogs) you shouldn't have any problems.

Air horn. Dogs aren't scared of sticks, and fighting multiple dogs with a stick can easily be a losing game. Dogs ARE scared of ridiculously loud noises, and you can affect all dogs in the area at one time.

OP - My understanding of the law is you must be operating a vehicle. Picking up a child as a pedestrian would not qualify.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Air horn. Dogs aren't scared of sticks, and fighting multiple dogs with a stick can easily be a losing game. Dogs ARE scared of ridiculously loud noises, and you can affect all dogs in the area at one time.

OP - My understanding of the law is you must be operating a vehicle. Picking up a child as a pedestrian would not qualify.

absolutely great advice. thank you!

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Whoa there, I would be careful on that one. The law specifically states that a person is only exempt while they are operating the vehicle. I wouldn't take the chance of shutting the engine off, even more so while pulling into a parking area, as you might no longer be considered to be operating the vehicle at that time. It may be splitting hairs, but that's precisely what prosecutors are good at. In the Newson case, while he actually exited the vehicle, he was specifically dinged because he was not actively operating the vehicle.

Would they rather a parent keep driving in circles around the property? Seems like the only way to get an answer is from some case law.

cmepp18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    This is how Indiana defines "Operate"

IC 9-13-2-117.5
    "Operate"
    Sec. 117.5. (a) "Operate", except as provided in subsections (b) and (c), means to navigate or otherwise be in actual physical control of a vehicle.
    (b) "Operate", for purposes of IC 9-31, means to navigate or otherwise be in actual physical control of a motorboat.
    (c) "Operate" for purposes of IC 9-18-2.5, means to:
    (1) ride in or on; and
    (2) be in actual physical control of the operation of;
    an off-road vehicle or snowmobile.
    As added by P.L.71-1991, SEC.6. Amended by P.L.125-2012, SEC.16; P.L.85-2013, SEC.16; P.L.259-2013, SEC.4.

IANAL, and it sounds like there is room for interpretation with wording like "physical control." Take it for what it's worth.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I imagine if you stay on the public sidewalk you'll be okay. Just don't step foot onto school property.

I would be careful about that. Just because its a "public sidewalk" does not mean it's not "school property". Normally, sidewalks are not owned by the municipality.

Top Bottom