What if they make AR's, AK's, and the like, NFA items?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dobber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Granger (South Bend)
    My personal opinion is that to require registration/taxation of existing firearms would be a logistical nightmare for the BATF....that's not even considering the constitutional violations associated. My opinion is that IF registration were required AND that registration was assigned to the NFA branch, it would be tax-free, background free, and clerical only in all capacities. They'd want your serial number, dates of note, and intention of use. Doubtful that a tax would be imparted because of the delays and challenges associated with funds collection. I'm not a lawyer and am not familiar with the "Clinton" AWB....these points are strictly me applying logic to an unknown situation.

-Dobber

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    They would need to hire a bunch more NFA investigators, oh wait, they just did.

In 1968 when they stepped up the enforcement and passed the GTA of 1968, there was an amnesty period where you registered but paid no tax.

However, when they declared Streetsweepers DDs and added them to class III, I do not think they waived the tax.

Last edited:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    if you read Feinsteisn language of her current work in progress, it was already rolling before last Friday. She wants no Grandfathering and possession of assault weapons will be illegal, period. In her world your decision is keep them and break the law or turn them in. Use them if they come for them?

The fall back position could EASILY become registration of all weapons. We all know registration is step one to confiscation but in fantasy registration land no registration also means no passing them on to the next generation. Which they don't intend to let happen anyway.

So I see the law suits in the future being over trying to overturn registration, if we last that long in terms of the next round of legislation.

Really, the fight is now.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    if you read Feinsteisn language of her current work in progress, it was already rolling before last Friday. She wants no Grandfathering and possession of assault weapons will be illegal, period. In her world your decision is keep them and break the law or turn them in. Use them if they come for them?
    I heard her say pretty much the same thing today. The possession, sale, transportation or transfer of ownership would be illegal. Reading between the lines you better hide your .223 in a hole in the backyard and only covet it in the darkness of a moonless night while in that hole..

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I heard her say pretty much the same thing today. The possession, sale, transportation or transfer of ownership would be illegal. Reading between the lines you better hide your .223 in a hole in the backyard and only covet it in the darkness of a moonless night while in that hole..

Actually if the day comes that you think it is necessary to dig a hole in your back yard, that would mark the day that you need to use your firearm as a weapon.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    It won't happen. Congress still has to worry about reelected, even of midterms aren't for two years. It is still toxic, and if we do our job, it always will be.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think a friend summed it up well today if they think there will be confiscations.

"There will be "Ruby Ridges", all over the country, every other day for a long time to come"

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    Actually if the day comes that you think it is necessary to dig a hole in your back yard, that would mark the day that you need to use your firearm as a weapon.

The hole can double as a nice place to bury your adversary after you beat him into submission with the shovel thus saving ammunition:D.

joejenders

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The laws will always be written so that AMERICAN CITIZENS will always be allowed to own and shoot INFERIOR weapons. The lawmakers know hunters are crack shots and only need single shot rifles to hunt. Why would they want to risk disturbing the voters!

JOLLYKART

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Mooresville
    The simple truth is that if you take away the gun, the criminal or mentally ill, or what ever the social, economic or human issue is that causes someone to do this type of thing will continue to happen. If may be with a knife, or hammer or bombs or his or her bare hands. I am heart broken by this latest tragedy, but wonder if the young man had not killed himself, if our system would try to rehabilitate him. I wonder if they were to show a public execution how it may stem some of the future violence.
    I can only hope that our elected officials will not knuckle under to the few that want to make a statement.

PKendall317

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Mooresville, IN
    Would it even be legal to ban a firearm that was already legal before *****stein's proposed bill became law? And if it was, I imagine it would be a logistical nightmare for the poor sucker who had to go round up the millions of legally owned firearms and magazines and so forth that would be made illegal.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It seems very, very likely that this is exactly what they will do. If their ultimate goal is to decrease sales of "assault weapons", requiring a stamp fee, and 6 month delay would definitely decrease sales overnight without even requiring any type of ban. It actually wouldn't affect most of us here who buy suppressors and SBR's, so I imagine they could push this change through the House easily.

As much as I dislike this, it would be better than a ban of almost any type. I would still hope our House Republicans require the elimination of GFZ's as part of the bill, which is important if we really want to have any impact on mass shootings, because even a total ban on all semi auto rifles would not prevent mass shootings, it would just change their tool (Jared Laughner used a Glock, for example).

Top Bottom