• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Living in upstate NY for twentyfive years has taught me a thing or two about power outages.

One thing not mentioned so far.... water pipes freeze. If you have absolutely no heat, water pipes can freeze and burst within a day or two. Then you have a much more expensive cleanup.
    Solution.... let a few faucets drip at a slow pace... this relieves pressure and you can also collect the water for personal use. Don't forget OUTSIDE faucets!!!
    Stay warm this winter.:yesway:

Do you mean turn off the outside faucets or let them drip?

.30 Cal Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Hi

Do you mean turn off the outside faucets or let them drip?

Most of the old outside faucets have a cut-off valve that's well indoors, back where it's warm enough not to freeze. Close the shut-off valve and open its drain cap, then open the outside valve. That'll let the water drain out and prevent ice damage to your pipes.

Modern outside faucets are long and, when you shut off the valve, it's actually shutting off all the way back up inside the house. They come in different lengths as well, for different climatic expectations - usually like six to thirty inches.

In both cases, you have to make sure you've disconnected anything from the spigot, like a hose or a cap that could hold water up inside the faucet, to get the frost-resistant mojo working for you.

Head over here for a good explanation of what to look for.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    One thing I have not seen posted here, and sorry if I missed it, but PLEASE make sure if your using a gas generator, DON'T RUN IT IN THE HOUSE! We had a wind storm and an ice storm within a few months, and people were dying almost daily from carbon monoxide poisoning. Excellent thread by the way.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Living in upstate NY for twentyfive years has taught me a thing or two about power outages.

One thing not mentioned so far.... water pipes freeze. If you have absolutely no heat, water pipes can freeze and burst within a day or two. Then you have a much more expensive cleanup.
    Solution.... let a few faucets drip at a slow pace... this relieves pressure and you can also collect the water for personal use. Don't forget OUTSIDE faucets!!!
    Stay warm this winter.:yesway:
    I put a main shut-off in the basement just for this reason. I can shut the water off coming from the meter, drain the lines, and I'm good to go. I would probably only shut it down at night though, as we would be using water frequently during the day. Haven't had to use it yet, knock on wood. We didn't lose power during the ice storm, but during the windstorm in sep. 07 we were out for 10 days.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    For those with gas grills, be sure to keep your propane tanks filled. Many times during a power outage I've used my grill to fix up some dinner. Next I need to get a coffee pot that I can put on it.

Instead of a coffee pot, get a cast iron kettle and a coffee press. You can bring the water to boil and use the press. You can use the kettle to boil water for anything.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    THINGS WE HAVE LEARNED DURING ICE STROM

Just added 5 ricks of wood to the stash , don't have a wood burner ,but do have a good fire place . It was alot of work but in the long run I think it will be worth it . Had some retarded neighbors coming over wanting to now what was going on ,just explained to them that it was some emergency supplies just in case of an ice storm or power outage this winter. Got the same response from both of them " WELL if that happens WE'll just come and get some of yours " One said I got a generator (well we have one too) I'll just use it , when I ask him how he was going to get gas to refuel it ,he said from the gas station , got to love those responses. Some people never think past the end of their nose

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Hilarious

Rooster 007 that is hilarious. I had a similar conversation with a neighbor not too long ago. His emegency plan was if he were snowed in long enough that he could walk to the grocery store. He had absolutely no concept that there might not be food for sale in the grocery store.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Rooster 007 that is hilarious. I had a similar conversation with a neighbor not too long ago. His emegency plan was if he were snowed in long enough that he could walk to the grocery store. He had absolutely no concept that there might not be food for sale in the grocery store.
    I was thinking of buying them some nice forageing shirts , you know, neon yellow with bullseye front and back , makes for a nice clean shoot

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Just added 5 ricks of wood to the stash , don't have a wood burner ,but do have a good fire place . It was alot of work but in the long run I think it will be worth it . Had some retarded neighbors coming over wanting to now what was going on ,just explained to them that it was some emergency supplies just in case of an ice storm or power outage this winter. Got the same response from both of them " WELL if that happens WE'll just come and get some of yours "

Next time, don't tell them that you're stocking up for an emergency. If you have good neighbors, you can tell them about your plans, but it doesn't sound like you have good neighbors. Never tell anyone about your preps unless you're prepared for them to come knocking when they need something. You'll either have to take them in (which is ok, if that's your plan), or turn them away, possibly with force.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Next time, don't tell them that you're stocking up for an emergency. If you have good neighbors, you can tell them about your plans, but it doesn't sound like you have good neighbors. Never tell anyone about your preps unless you're prepared for them to come knocking when they need something. You'll either have to take them in (which is ok, if that's your plan), or turn them away, possibly with force.

Actually those are the two neighbors we have all planned to eat , nice and plump and tenderized with hops and barley . WE do practice a little operational security

Top Bottom