What homework do you get completed while at the range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kimbercollector

Marksman
    Rating - 96.1%
    49   2   0
    Jul 7, 2011
    North East Indianapolis, IN
    If your like me, its a treat when the planets align and I get to make it up to put some lead downrange...

What do you typically like to get done while at the range? With the cost of ammo, Im curious on what drills you like to hammer through to keep your skills sharp.

At least twice a year, I like to get in 2 box drills per scope I own to validate my zero and ensure one click means one click.

With handguns, I do alot of holster work. This depends alot on summer vs winter carry rigs, and how I plan to implement those.

Regarding 22lr, I seldom go to the range without bringing up the walmart brick of 550...and have actually really tried to get a 22 "clone" of each of my full calibers...IE, I have a GSG 1911 in 22 to match my 3 1911s I have in 45...point being to match the safety, drawing, holstering, etc...I have same with my ARs and Glocks. Hard to beat plinking and its always good to incorporate some good work while at play.

So Im curious what others enjoy doing while at the range...

OH, and BTW, I found a cheaper, lighter, easier set up (and biodegradable) alternative that steel...I have found some clay-pigeon target hangers that clip onto a 3/16 inch dowel rod or rope...instant gratification of busting a clay, and I get 90 shots for $5.99. Although, I do like the sound of hitting steel.

Dave
    RIFLELOGBOOK

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    My boys and I started taking one rifle and one pistol to the range. I like to improve my stance with each gun as well as accuracy. We work on trigger control and other basics. But we make sure we have a lot of fun.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Tap/rack/bang practice, draw practice, firing from retention, one-handed (both sides), mostly defensive practice. Sitting back and slow-firing at a piece of paper for an hour makes me feel like I'm not getting as much "value" per round. I still do it to keep my accuracy up, but I'll mix in other drills.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Try multivariable calc. :D

I can honestly say I have no idea what that might entail.

To answer the original question, mostly pistol work. Presentation from the holster, point shooting in close, working my way out to sighted shooting @ about 50m. Reloads and mulfunctions. Multiple target engagement and shooting on the move.

Once the targets are pretty well done for the day, and depending on how my knees hold up, I'll usually do some close quarter shotgun work to finish the day.

I'm pretty lucky in that I own my "range" so the rules are pretty liberal as to what I can and can't do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I tried that and someone shot the beads off my abacus. :dunno:

My abacus went down with my guns at the lake. Terrible accident. I did save my slide rule but that's about all.

We work on new grips. After many years of doing it one way I have become enlightened and we are working on grip and trigger discipline.
    We are now limiting the number of guns we bring along so we can concentrate on these things.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I nearly always have a purpose for my range trips. They vary widely. Sometimes I go to informally instruct others. Other times I go to shoot matches, test out new loads, accessories or new guns. Once in a while I try to work on self-defense skills. I get no pleasure from just shooting up a bunch of ammo real fast. Hitting what I aim for is where it's at as far as I'm concerned. When I go alone, I usually don't socialize much with other shooters at the range. When I go shooting with buddies we usually go out to eat before a range session.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Tap rack bang double feed drills tactical reloads target acquisition speed seeing how many shots I can get on the target in two seconds etc etc

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I want to do things I cannot do or measure well at home in dryfire. I can do draws, malfunction clearing, reloads, etc in my basement. Adding smoke and noise and recoil doesn't teach me a lot there (but it is good to confirm my dryfire results from time to time).

On the range I ALWAYS do some accuracy work (often incl SHO, and WHO). I work on my timing. I work on transitions. I work on shooting while moving. I work on setting up in a position on difficult targets around barricades. I work on shot calling.

I try to go w/ specific goals.

-rvb

Top Bottom