• Status
    Not open for further replies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    None of my family knows. If they did find out and decided they were going to invade my AO. I'd be sure to inform them that humans make the best fertilizer for tomatoes. I really like tomatoes.

I think it's part of my responsibility to save those that I can or at least make an honest attempt at it. I've tried to open eyes and I would hope that they'd do the same for me, but I am certainly at the point where I will not sacrifice myself/family or have my training suffer because I've wasted time beating a dead horse. At this point I've fulfilled my obligation to give them an honest attempt. They've been tossed a life raft and this point they have to want to survive or just sink. Either way, it's time for me to drive on.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm trying to think of how I'm going to break the news to friends and family that they're not welcome at my house post shtf if they don't start taking it serious now. I've got a lot of fair weather prepper wannabe's who think that when things get nasty that they're just going to be coming over over to my place and it'll be a magical safe haven. It's something I've had to think about for a long time now.

I'm still trying to build up a team and I think a few of my neighbors are going to be the best candidates. One's definitely a prepper country boy with gear, food and chickens. Another is a former medic who's not a prepper at all, but has a great skill set.
    I know what you mean. I rode up to the Porter County rally on Saturday with a friend who I am on board with, and another friend. Obviously we had 2.5 hours to kill, so, naturally, we got on the topic of being prepared. The other friend said if anything happened, he would be at my house. I just shrugged it off and told him I wouldn't be there. Since I had the rest of the day, and car ride, to spend with him I didn't want to tell him I wouldn't let him in. I'm not preparing to give hand outs, I'm doing it for me and mine. If you don't have the foresight to be ready, I'm sorry.

Unless someone has something to bring to the table, I don't really consider them an asset. I may approach him at some point and put the idea in his head that he needs to be prepared with more than just some guns and some ammo for me to even consider allowing him on my property post-SHTF, but I don't think he would take it seriously. I do have a couple people I would give a pass to and let in my house, but there wouldn't be very many exceptions.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Just spent a week in Western Kentucky, fishing, camping and cooking outdoors. Came to the conclusion that I need to add more aluminum foil to the BOB and the prepping stock.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know what you mean. I rode up to the Porter County rally on Saturday with a friend who I am on board with, and another friend. Obviously we had 2.5 hours to kill, so, naturally, we got on the topic of being prepared. The other friend said if anything happened, he would be at my house. I just shrugged it off and told him I wouldn't be there. Since I had the rest of the day, and car ride, to spend with him I didn't want to tell him I wouldn't let him in. I'm not preparing to give hand outs, I'm doing it for me and mine. If you don't have the foresight to be ready, I'm sorry.

Unless someone has something to bring to the table, I don't really consider them an asset. I may approach him at some point and put the idea in his head that he needs to be prepared with more than just some guns and some ammo for me to even consider allowing him on my property post-SHTF, but I don't think he would take it seriously. I do have a couple people I would give a pass to and let in my house, but there wouldn't be very many exceptions.

Believe me when I say this, those who say they will be coming your way will never be ready. They do not need to be. You have done it for them. This is the mind set of so many these days.

My family has thinned with age and passing so that is not a major concern any more. My wifes family is. They are the absolute salt of the earth. That said, they are not prepared for any event past week in duration. None are armed. If we bug in they will be at my place. If we bug out, they will be at my place and we will not be there.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Believe me when I say this, those who say they will be coming your way will never be ready. They do not need to be. You have done it for them. This is the mind set of so many these days.

My family has thinned with age and passing so that is not a major concern any more. My wifes family is. They are the absolute salt of the earth. That said, they are not prepared for any event past week in duration. None are armed. If we bug in they will be at my place. If we bug out, they will be at my place and we will not be there.

It constanly amazes me at how serious some of these people I know will "talk" about prepping, but never move off their hind ends to better themselves. A great example of this would be when I told several friends about the WETSU one day survival class and how much I learned about my skills and gear on the first time I took it. I told them all that I'd be taking it again and how much of a higher level it would get them to in just one day and even after all the talking I did about it nobody made it enough of a priority to show up for the second class even when I told them I'd be there with or without them and you'd think it'd make it that much easier for them to show up knowing they'd know somebody there. Of course though they still have time to go out drinking/partying and to go to hockey games and have money for tattoos.

There's just people out there that are all talk, and people who act. I don't see these guys and gals any different than I see the people who are going to "quit smoking someday" or "go back to school someday" and the someday never comes. Someday the S is going to HTF and they won't have spent the time or made any of the efforts needed to be of any use to me.

Like I said, I can bring a horse to water, but I can't make them drink. I'm not going to stand there and die of thirst next to a dead horse while looking at the water. If there ever is a long term problem in this country I think it's going to make easy work of thinning out the herd.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    It constanly amazes me at how serious some of these people I know will "talk" about prepping, but never move off their hind ends to better themselves. A great example of this would be when I told several friends about the WETSU one day survival class and how much I learned about my skills and gear on the first time I took it. I told them all that I'd be taking it again and how much of a higher level it would get them to in just one day and even after all the talking I did about it nobody made it enough of a priority to show up for the second class even when I told them I'd be there with or without them and you'd think it'd make it that much easier for them to show up knowing they'd know somebody there. Of course though they still have time to go out drinking/partying and to go to hockey games and have money for tattoos.

There's just people out there that are all talk, and people who act. I don't see these guys and gals any different than I see the people who are going to "quit smoking someday" or "go back to school someday" and the someday never comes. Someday the S is going to HTF and they won't have spent the time or made any of the efforts needed to be of any use to me.

Like I said, I can bring a horse to water, but I can't make them drink. I'm not going to stand there and die of thirst next to a dead horse while looking at the water. If there ever is a long term problem in this country I think it's going to make easy work of thinning out the herd.

+1 on the wetsu survival course. It gives a great frame of reference for making decisions on what to do and a good opportunity to get out and test/try your gear. Worth every cent.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    Stepped up the morning workouts. Down 7 lbs. in the last 3.5 weeks. Started running today and getting ready for the 10K I signed up for in May. Got my go fast and light bag set up, thanks WETSU.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I have raised my kids to be self reliant. I have no doubt they will survive if the event is survivable. It is my grand kids I prep. for.
    That said, it is not those we try to get off their tails and out of the party lifestyle to prep. that concern me. In a serious SHTF event they would be targets. It is their kids I have concerns for. How do we turn a blind eye to them.
    I do hope we never have to see.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY

If they are that unprepared they most likely wont be able to make it there to start with

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It is their kids I have concerns for. How do we turn a blind eye to them.
    I do hope we never have to see.

Exactly. I will have little sympathy for those who heard the warning calls and did nothing compared to those who were completely unaware and might have done something.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    The prices have finally gotten down to the point where I only feel sorta stupid for buying spare mags for my M&P22 22LR pistol. I'm finally going to be up to a total of three magazines for my 22lr instead of just the one that came with the gun. The practicing will be that much better.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Finishing touches of loading room.next to spread manure on garden.then to assemble welding table.....maybe then I can finally start the motor project on the Bradley tractor. Mount the plow on the KIOTI...plow the gardens....etc etc.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Day before the snow, I lightly tilled over the gardens and planted some of the potatoes. Also, sowed some lettuce seeds (i.e. toss them in the air over the gardens).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom