chester-zoo.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Saw fuel at $1.68 on my way out to Avon this morning so had the thought I would rotate out some reserves and fill up 2 of the trucks when I returned home.
    As I neared the house fuel was @ $1.99 so we got a 31 cent hit in less than 2 Hours...........WTF.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Saw fuel at $1.68 on my way out to Avon this morning so had the thought I would rotate out some reserves and fill up 2 of the trucks when I returned home.
    As I neared the house fuel was @ $1.99 so we got a 31 cent hit in less than 2 Hours...........WTF.

I got it for $1.69 on Saturday. I guess I need to see if it is jumping here. They said it was going to stay low for the holiday travelers.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Purchased some more ammo, road flares, finally got some of my backordered gear from LAPG, built my "winter survival pack" and put that in my car. Purchased some more Chapstick for bags, couple other small items.

Winter kit has a full change of clothes, balaclava, gloves, hand warmers, hat, scarf, socks, glow sticks, flares, chapstick, and headband/ear warmer. I also have a coat on the outside of the bag and will be adding boots to the outside of the kit. I also will be adding some granola bars.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Purchased some more ammo, road flares, finally got some of my backordered gear from LAPG, built my "winter survival pack" and put that in my car. Purchased some more Chapstick for bags, couple other small items.

Winter kit has a full change of clothes, balaclava, gloves, hand warmers, hat, scarf, socks, glow sticks, flares, chapstick, and headband/ear warmer. I also have a coat on the outside of the bag and will be adding boots to the outside of the kit. I also will be adding some granola bars.

Hydration...

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

It's just the annual Thanksgiving travel spike... I'm hoping.

I've been planning on doing the same, even buying some more storage... I just remind myself that $1.99 still beats the **** out of prices for most of the last few years.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Did an 11.42mi ruckmarch with 85lbs over the weekend. Feet are still mush. Was reminded overheating in low 30s and getting soaked with sweat is an easy way to get hypothermic really quickly. Switched out to dry shirt and pressed on. Currently gauging reaction time from such an ordeal but 2 days seems to be good recovery time. Ready to get some more cardio in tomorrow... but will probably just eat cookies and sip cocoa instead.

Building my winter bag is on the agenda for this coming weekend. Will add a few extra calories to the GHB as well. I like to throw in a big ol' bag of trail mix this time of year. 7,000 calories in a bag that won't really freeze? Sign me up.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Hydration...

Already have a couple pouches of water in the car, and a 24 pack of bottled water. Although you are right, I should put some in the bag itself just in case I take it with me somewhere else.

Building my winter bag is on the agenda for this coming weekend. Will add a few extra calories to the GHB as well. I like to throw in a big ol' bag of trail mix this time of year. 7,000 calories in a bag that won't really freeze? Sign me up.

I like the trail mix idea! I might do that instead of granola bars. Thanks!

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Already have a couple pouches of water in the car, and a 24 pack of bottled water.

I like the trail mix idea! I might do that instead of granola bars. Thanks!
    Keep in mind anything you leave in your car overnight will likely freeze solid after a few days. Granola bars and trail mix seem to be good even when frozen. Much better than tuna or peanut butter! Sams Club has a 3 or 4 pound bag of trail mix for $7 or something. It's really good. I usually buy two. One to eat, and one to stash!

If you keep water pouches/bottles make sure they're small enough to put in your pockets or on the dash to thaw out. Also, make sure they're not so full they'll break/burst when frozen.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Keep in mind anything you leave in your car overnight will likely freeze solid after a few days. Granola bars and trail mix seem to be good even when frozen. Much better than tuna or peanut butter! Sams Club has a 3 or 4 pound bag of trail mix for $7 or something. It's really good. I usually buy two. One to eat, and one to stash!

If you keep water pouches/bottles make sure they're small enough to put in your pockets or on the dash to thaw out. Also, make sure they're not so full they'll break/burst when frozen.

We keep a few of the Sams club offerings inn the rigs.
    Water has already started to freeze up so we need to address that.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I've been focusing on a bit more run-of-the-mill personal type stuff. Kind of like bigus_D discussed in his earlier post. I feel like this type of planning and preparedness gets overlooked in the rush to stock up on canned food and cases of zombie repellent.

Toward the end of every year I do some financial planning, forecasting, and goal setting. This week I've been gathering information to run my end-of-year numbers and make plans for the coming year. Usually I focus on analyzing the current year's expenses, taxes, budgeting for big-ticket items, looking at my net worth, savings rate, investment asset allocations, and planning what to do the coming year. In the past I had not put much focus on the risk management and insurance end of financial planning. I don't have a lot of valuables or anything. Because of that, I think I've underestimated the need. I'm giving that a bit more focus this year. Questions like: What if the house catches fire, or I'm hospitalized and unable to make decisions for myself, or even die? What's my plan for those things and how will my family deal with it?

I'm starting to look at my property and liability insurance needs. The house I live in is owned by someone else. I share costs, but I am not a named insured on that person's policy. I'v realized that leaves me with a big gap in my own property and liability insurance. So I'm looking in to renter's insurance. I've also started looking at estate planning concerns. I'm verifying I have named beneficiaries on all of the financial accounts that allow one (401K, IRA's, HSA, investment accounts, etc). That will allow those accounts to avoid probate. I am also considering how my physical property would be distributed if I were to die.

I'm in my early 30's and in good health. So it's not likely that I'll die soon, but if I did my heirs should not have to do a bunch of research to figure out what accounts I have, who they go to, or what property I own. So I'm putting together some lists of accounts, account numbers, etc. I've also started an inventory of property both for insurance purposes and estate planning (feels weird to call it an "estate" but I have managed to save some not inconsiderable financial assets). I'm considering a safety deposit box at my bank to store copies of some of this information once I've gathered it up. I'm also considering visiting a lawyer to put together something official along the above lines along with a power of attorney, living will, and all that good stuff. I'm at least doing some research to decide if I need these things. Which is more than I've done in the past.

Last edited:

socom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2015
    sellersburg
    Just build a solar heater and have been insulating the area in which i live. I believe it's going to be a very cold winter with a lot of snow but that's just my guess as i feel we haven't has a bad one in a while.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just build a solar heater and have been insulating the area in which i live. I believe it's going to be a very cold winter with a lot of snow but that's just my guess as i feel we haven't has a bad one in a while.

Where have you been the last 2 record breaking winters........not so much last year but the year before was insanely cold and snow. I measure winter by how much wood we burn. The last 2 were real winters.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Since my last post in here I went hunting in Wisconsin. Tagged 2 doe and 1 buck. Wasn't cheap, but it was a great vacation and worth all the time and effort. Relaxed and now I have quite a bit of meat. I also got tuned up on field dressing deer which I unfortunately haven't done in the last few years. Got to teach a buddy of mine some outdoorsy skills and tricks to hunting. It was good to get outdoors and breath the fresh air. This being a guys trip all we ate was pringles, pizza, snickers, trail mix, etc and with all the hiking I did I still lost 5 pounds if that's any indication of how steep the hills were. Processing steaks into jerky, and feeding the family.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom