• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    Still working on a fully functional cache, getting closer to having it ready. It will mirror all my current gear. It may not have everything of the same quality, but it will be close. Firearms the same, less expensive web gear of the same style, similar gear for food. I'll post up pics when it's done.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    I'm trying red and white wine recipes with a big dash of turbo yeast to see if I can make a trade good that people will want after the looters have been chased away for the day.

keep in mind my R & D is focused on quick booze, not a recipe that's served in "fine eateries everywhere".

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Pruned fruit trees. Most have been in the ground a year now, but I never pruned them correctly when I planted them so it's almost like I'm starting over at day 1 but with a healthy root system.

Dug a drainage trench with my old trusty shovel, so now there's less water sitting near the house foundation. I had a small pond for a while, and that's not so good if the sump pump isn't running.

Purchased a half dozen grape vines at Lowes. To early to plant them yet, but they just got in the store and I could have my pick of the litter. I'll be grabbing a couple more cherry trees once those hit the store shelves.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My wife and I had 3 between us. We thought they were safe. Thought those who were in charge would monitor our money and make wise decisions that were in our favor. How wrong we were. Lost our tails in 07/08

Just keep a watchful eye on it.

Will do! I have family that experienced similar disasters in 1999 and 2008.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My wife and I had 3 between us. We thought they were safe. Thought those who were in charge would monitor our money and make wise decisions that were in our favor. How wrong we were. Lost our tails in 07/08

In all fairness I think a lot of people took pretty significant hits in those years. My approach to a 401K has been to select as many mutual funds as possible, so I have what I consider to be a mutual fund of mutual funds. Even with that, you have to expect a couple years here and there when you're going to get clubbed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Will do! I have family that experienced similar disasters in 1999 and 2008.

In all fairness I think a lot of people took pretty significant hits in those years. My approach to a 401K has been to select as many mutual funds as possible, so I have what I consider to be a mutual fund of mutual funds. Even with that, you have to expect a couple years here and there when you're going to get clubbed.

Makes us folks who invest in skills over money and possessions look pretty sharp. eh? :shady:
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it... :rolleyes:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Makes us folks who invest in skills over money and possessions look pretty sharp. eh? :shady:
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it... :rolleyes:

I am way heavy on skills. Wife convinced me that the savings in 401 was the way to go. If the Market had not stumbled/economy tanked/housing bubble burst nd I had any brains I would be OK. We did not catch the problem until we had lost over 50% and more before we got our money out.
    Being retired I would sure like to have those funds right now. I have to take a part of the responsibility in this failure. Never trust anyone that says they have your best interest at heart. They are lying. Period. Especially if they wear a suit and tie.

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    401k's are just 1's and 0's in a computer. You can't eat them and you can't control them. Might as well ASK to have it taken away. One session of Weimar republic inflation and you can't fill your gas tank with your life savings.

Invest in land, they aren't making anymore. It can feed you, clothe you, shelter you and earn a living off it.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Bought 20-cans of corn, 29-cans of green beans, 2-cases of water, 200rds of .40 s&w and 50-12ga 00 buck..

getting my my stock up slowly but we are getting there!

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I am way heavy on skills. Wife convinced me that the savings in 401 was the way to go. If the Market had not stumbled/economy tanked/housing bubble burst nd I had any brains I would be OK. We did not catch the problem until we had lost over 50% and more before we got our money out.
    Being retired I would sure like to have those funds right now. I have to take a part of the responsibility in this failure. Never trust anyone that says they have your best interest at heart. They are lying. Period. Especially if they wear a suit and tie.
    If you'd have left your money just at the market index it is about double 2008 now.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    401k's are just 1's and 0's in a computer. You can't eat them and you can't control them. Might as well ASK to have it taken away. One session of Weimar republic inflation and you can't fill your gas tank with your life savings.

Invest in land, they aren't making anymore. It can feed you, clothe you, shelter you and earn a living off it.

Find me a land investment that will give me $1 worth of land for every $1 I purchase, please!

401(k)s are not perfect, nor are they comprehensive. They are, however, a viable part of an overall plan for preparing for the future.

If you'd have left your money just at the market index it is about double 2008 now.

Sure . . . unless the net worth of your investments went essentially to zero back then. Then you were pretty much screwed no matter what.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Find me a land investment that will give me $1 worth of land for every $1 I purchase, please!
    Your company matches 1/1? You gotta max that out. Period.

I make fun of my own financial, ehhh...
    ...eccentricities:rolleyes:, but I did study back when I was in the business of making other people money.
    Virtually every financial adviser says it's money thrown away if you don't max out the limit of what the company matches with their contribution.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

I was near retirement and I did not have the time or so it seemed. Panic....you bet I did. At the time it seemed the right thing as the economy was sliding towards the sea.
    I am not a financial genius. If I had more insight and understanding of the way that world works I would have paid attention closer and moved those funds into an area that was not taking huge hits.
    My only point in this is watch your money. Do not trust people that make a living on commissions to have your best interests at heart.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom