• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mammynunswife

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Went shooting with the hubby and daughter. My daughter and I shot several of the guns we have so we would be comfortable with even the "big scary ones"! Also picked up more bottled water and canned goods!

caddywhompus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Pendleton
    Cut wood today and have a good start on the wood pile. Still need to get things in order to keep the generator running and also, get the propane tank filled.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Rearranged some of my "GO" supplies, putting some in a large, rolling suitcase. BIG MISTAKE! :rolleyes: Everything that I wanted "ready to go" (except for my backpack) fit ok, but I couldn't lift the bag to put it into the bed of my truck. :facepalm: :xmad: (:n00b: < me)

So - I will be re-arranging my re-arranging. :rolleyes:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yeah, split wood. Going to sight/practice with the 1894's on Friday, for hunting. Looking up power of attorney and wills too. Printed out phone contact list/sync'd mine and wife's phone. Talked to Army about getting enlistment ball rolling after recory from earlier appendecitis.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Hey! I got something to post!

I've been rethinking my power system strategy and yesterday I started taking some of the steps to redoing it (we've been off-grid for two decades). In ye olde days I was of the opinion that having a battery bank and inverter system sized to handle the entire system plus the reserve. This meant that every few years I had a big expense replacing the battery system, and that if there ever was a TEOTWAWKI, I'd have to scramble to build replacement batteries, especially if it happened when I was towards the end of the cycle.

My new strategy is to have multiple smaller systems that power independent circuits. Then build the capability to cross-wire any battery bank to any inverter and any inverter to any circuit should there be a problem. This decreases the possibility of single point failure, and if I space out the battery bank life it means that I don't have to replace one large bank at a time.

So the shop now has two seperate systems, I just finished the second one yesterday. The house will eventually have three seperate systems with the fridge on its own complete one.

Going on the theory that two is one and one is none, and also allowing me to cycle the batteries on a much more shallow curve, making them last longer.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Hey! I got something to post!

I've been rethinking my power system strategy and yesterday I started taking some of the steps to redoing it (we've been off-grid for two decades). In ye olde days I was of the opinion that having a battery bank and inverter system sized to handle the entire system plus the reserve. This meant that every few years I had a big expense replacing the battery system, and that if there ever was a TEOTWAWKI, I'd have to scramble to build replacement batteries, especially if it happened when I was towards the end of the cycle.

My new strategy is to have multiple smaller systems that power independent circuits. Then build the capability to cross-wire any battery bank to any inverter and any inverter to any circuit should there be a problem. This decreases the possibility of single point failure, and if I space out the battery bank life it means that I don't have to replace one large bank at a time.

So the shop now has two seperate systems, I just finished the second one yesterday. The house will eventually have three seperate systems with the fridge on its own complete one.

Going on the theory that two is one and one is none, and also allowing me to cycle the batteries on a much more shallow curve, making them last longer.
    What brand of batteries are you using? Your just down the road from me,do you know where a guy can get any Rolls/Surette or Trojan batteries? I havent found any locally.They have some at a good price online,but dont ship,or shipping is in the hundreds of dollars.

As far as prepping ,I cut 2 cord of wood,as a reserve. Need to get a wood stove now. Had something shocking happen yesterdat too. After cutting 4 trees ,I was cutting the stumps down and the saw died.Wouldnt start for anything. It is only 4 months old.So I called Tractor Supply and told them about it and they said bring it back and they would replace it. That was a shocker. I figured I would have to take it somewhere and drop it off,and wait a week or two ,to get it back.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    What brand of batteries are you using? Your just down the road from me,do you know where a guy can get any Rolls/Surette or Trojan batteries? I havent found any locally.They have some at a good price online,but dont ship,or shipping is in the hundreds of dollars.

I have tried Trojan L16H and got no real advantage in life over the smaller T105s, and with my new strategy I'm not going to be using larger cells. The battery store downtown Bloomington has pretty much gotten all of my non-Trojan business (they keep changing names, now are Battery XPress). When I was in there last week the guy told me that they are building a solar panel manufacturing plant in Columbus (!).

The last time I bought L16Hs I got them from Harris Battery in Indianapolis, I just went up there and got them.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    2 weeks worth of stuff below:

Cut and stacked a bunch of firewood, rearranged the woodpile. Worked out a bunch, did 7 hours of Force on Force with the Valpo PD, did some dryfire, picked up a sweet SOE AK/M4 chest rig, mini Ifak and smoke pouch, went camping with the family, bought a bunch of canned veggies.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just learned about the Vaseline and cotton ball lighter trick. Packing some of that in the BOB. Still need to arrange and add to that.

Got two cases of MRE's last week. Added to the "what we eat" reserves a bit.

Cleaning up and streamlining the den, where most of the SHTF supplies are right now.

Need to work up the list of wants and needs. I have stuff, but no time frame for how long it will sustain the family.

Oh and I hurt at 20... probably would just kill me now.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Something I did to prepare was take a carbine class and learned some things I never thought about before. Also, I learned some things on shooting that will help a TON in an urban enviornment as well as from behind an obstacle and from cover.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I picked up 4- 5 Gallon gas containers and filled them. This will get me to my bug out location. I picked up a few molle pouches to add to my pack, one for medical.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    started the chain saw for the first time in 3 months. Spent two hours cutting and stacking. Spliting is for another day. Didn't want to push things the first time out with the saw.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Cleaned my house.

No seriously, we bought the home and contents from a hard core prepper who had been at it since the 50's. There are still some areas that we have yet to fully investigate. Today we were in the process of cleaning out an old area that had been used to germinate and incubate seeds. We had cannibalized some of the gear there and set up our own area in a more convenient part of the home and then left the rest for later. Now we are re-plumbing some areas and we needed to make room. We were going through and sorting trash from tools. Here are some of the things that I salvaged:

Socket Set
    Ball of String
    3 clevises
    crooked flashlight
    bunch of old brass fittings
    monkey wrench
    pliers
    box of old fuses
    some old glassware; ehrlinmeyer flasks and tubing
    three cases of emergency candles!
    crescent wrench
    electric fan (looks like it was made in the fifties)

There are still shelves and shelves of stuff, much of it junk, but maybe a hidden treasure or two is still lurking.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Got Adult CPR/AED Certified. Taking the Wilderness First Aid Class now. Sure a lot to remember! Next step is to reconfigure first aid kits with my new knowledge, I'd like to order some Sam Splints. Engaged in project with my wire welder to increase my skills!

Ed p.

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Greenfield
    I was given a portable generator this weekend that needs a new gas tank and carb. rebuilt that i will be getting parts for this week. Has 220 and 110 outlets on it,hoping it will run well pump in case of emergency.Also picked up extra chain and bar for saw at a garage sale.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom