What happens when you get to a hospital?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I was on a different forum and someone dropped this question. If you were in an accident which renders you unconscious or incapacitated, unable to move and you get transported to the nearest hospital. What happens to your gun? What are polices of hospitals or EMTs?

I'm sure it'll be different depending on states, how would it go down in Indiana?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    RMabrey is an EMT but he doesn't really post much on INGO anymore. I'll ask him when I run into him at INS.

IMO they just have an officer on scene remove and hold on to your weapon. As long as you have a LTCH You would be fine.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    well

Based on the EMT's I know, the gun, if it stayed on your person and they would ensure it did until they got you into the ambulance, would then remove it from you and take you and the gun to a range to ensure it is working properly by expending all of your ammo and maybe some they had laying about. From there the empty gun would be placed back on your person and you'd be taken to the hospital where they would most like give it to the police.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN USA
    Based on the EMT's I know, the gun, if it stayed on your person and they would ensure it did until they got you into the ambulance, would then remove it from you and take you and the gun to a range to ensure it is working properly by expending all of your ammo and maybe some they had laying about. From there the empty gun would be placed back on your person and you'd be taken to the hospital where they would most like give it to the police.

In that case I am going to have to find some really obscure round that they won't have with them! I don't mind cleaning my guns after I shoot them, but it is bothersome to clean up someone else's mess...

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    RMabrey is an EMT but he doesn't really post much on INGO anymore. I'll ask him when I run into him at INS.

IMO they just have an officer on scene remove and hold on to your weapon. As long as you have a LTCH You would be fine.

I have a buddy in which this happened. The police take it and hold it for you. Unfortunately they don't always care about your firearm as much as you do. They took his Glock and Sig and threw them in a ziplock bag (these items were in the wet grass after the accident). When he got them back 2 - 3 weeks later they were horribly rusting and the finish was pretty nasty.

I wish someone there gave a crap and actually wiped them down quick, or maybe stored them in open air.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    September '95, I lost a T-bone collision with a Ford 250. Woke up hanging from the belt . . . in the passenger seat.

Marion County Sheriff's Deputy took my pistols off me (which was cool as I really didn't want or need them right then). My father showed up and scene (he was driving to my bro's where I was living and saw the wreck) and took the guns while I got a free ride.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    September '95, I lost a T-bone collision with a Ford 250. Woke up hanging from the belt . . . in the passenger seat.

Marion County Sheriff's Deputy took my pistols off me (which was cool as I really didn't want or need them right then). My father showed up and scene (he was driving to my bro's where I was living and saw the wreck) and took the guns while I got a free ride.

Was the Ford driven by a purple rhinoceroses?

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    as a medic I would probably have the police take it and secure it. There is a lot of bumping around in the back of the rig and who needs anything more dangerous than me with a needle! If you are incapacitated you probably wont have any clothes on byt he time I deliver you to the ER anyway. AS a LTCH'r myself I would follow up with the our local PD to make sure your firearm is treated with respect.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    It would not surprise me if some INGO members have "I do not consent to the search of my car or seizure of my firearm" tatooed on their chest just in case this were to happen.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It would not surprise me if some INGO members have "I do not consent to the search of my car or seizure of my firearm" tatooed on their chest just in case this were to happen.

That right there MIGHT just be the reasoning I needed to get some ink...

There again, I have heard from EMTs that if you refuse to let go of your gun or they aren't comfortable/able to take your gun off and unload it you wait and bleed until the cops get there. That's how the last North Hollywood shootout guy died, he bled to death while the EMTs were waiting for the cops to clear the scene.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I was involved in a car wreck at 18 and had 2 long guns in the back of my jeep in soft cases. The sheriff deputies took the guns to the department building and a few days later my dad went and picked them up and took them home. Got them back 4 months later when I got home from hospital. Ruger 10/22 had the rear sight somehow knocked off and a cracked scope lense. Mossberg 500 was fine.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I was involved in a car wreck at 18 and had 2 long guns in the back of my jeep in soft cases. The sheriff deputies took the guns to the department building and a few days later my dad went and picked them up and took them home. Got them back 4 months later when I got home from hospital. Ruger 10/22 had the rear sight somehow knocked off and a cracked scope lense. Mossberg 500 was fine.

Your dad should treat your guns better!

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    That right there MIGHT just be the reasoning I needed to get some ink...

There again, I have heard from EMTs that if you refuse to let go of your gun or they aren't comfortable/able to take your gun off and unload it you wait and bleed until the cops get there.

Great so any of us could potentially be in a shoot out, take the bad guy down, but take a couple ourselves and we get stuck with that one scared EMT who won't come near us and we bleed to death.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Thanks OP for asking, I to wondered. My fear is that larger cities might "lose" the quality stuff at the station.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks OP, great question, as I had not really thought too much about it until this post. Its way more likely to be in an accident then a firefight. Would think this would actually be in more people's thoughts. Guess its one you dont think about until its too late.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Yes crashes are so much more common than gunfights. I hope I have neither, but I already have been in some minor crashes before, but never any minor gunfights. :D

Anyways, is there a procedure written about what to do with guns in the car when it is towed? If cops don't check the trunk, the tow company could "loose" the guns.

MedicMonty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Great so any of us could potentially be in a shoot out, take the bad guy down, but take a couple ourselves and we get stuck with that one scared EMT who won't come near us and we bleed to death.

It's not about being scared. It's about making sure they are there to treat you once the scene IS safe. EMT classes are so full of material already, they can't possibly train students in how to properly identify threats, secure weapons, restrain bad guys, etc..... that's why law enforcement officers take different classes.

Consider this possibility: you and the bad guy are both hurt, the EMT comes in to perform a heroic "brave" rescue, and takes two himself from the bad guy who's not quite dead. Guess who's waiting for the next ambulance now? Oh and PS.... now we need more ambulances, too. The bottom line is since EMT's aren't trained at securing threats, gotta let someone else do that. No different than the law enforcement officer who can't investigate the meth lab until the haz-mat team contains/eliminates any threats - you let the people trained to deal with the threat make the scene safe first.

Fortunately, our brothers in blue are great about this. When we call for a scene to be secured, they make it so quickly and often help us sort out who needs help first.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Wasn't there an INGOer a few years back that went through this and it took him weeks to get his gun back, and only after they made him get fingerprinted?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom