• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    I am 23 and have noticed that my generation is not into firearms. Not one of my friends shoot or have any interest at all.

most people I see at shows and local shops are 30+ and I am the youngest by far all the times. I was just wondering if there are any young shooters like myself on here. Second, would any of you want to get together on weekends every now and then and go shooting.

P.S. It's sad to see that my generation has such a strong opposition to firearms. its seems that the libs have gotten to them, and have painted an image that firearms are a terrible thing.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I'm almost 20 and a college student who enjoys guns. When I speak of my firearm interests around people my age they look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language. Nobody that I know who is my age is into shooting.

I'm in Terre Haute and wouldn't mind shooting. Hit me up when it gets warmer.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    In my generation a boy usually had a rifle by the age of 5-6 and a handgun soon after. It was no big deal to see a youth riding his bicycle through a small town with a gun across the handlebars on his was to shoot. Now days the youth and parents would be scorned by the majority of people for such actions and the parents in jail. These better times are only memories for me and only stories for the younger generation...

jerp239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    NE Indiana
    This is also the day of the internet and more electronic gadgets than you can shake a stick at. Most are tied up with there iphone, Xbox, playstation 3, Wii, Ipad....etc. The "older" generation went out and hunted and plinked with their .22, now they do it on their computer. Just my:twocents:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    This is also the day of the internet and more electronic gadgets than you can shake a stick at. Most are tied up with there iphone, Xbox, playstation 3, Wii, Ipad....etc. The "older" generation went out and hunted and plinked with their .22, now they do it on their computer. Just my:twocents:

+1

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I was lucky. I was raised by my mom and aunt. I never even thought about guns all through high school. When I was about 21 I started working for this old carpenter that took me squirrel hunting. I have been hooked ever since. BTW, I am 32.

CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    That's funny because I am a computer engineer/Programmer, and enjoy all the those things. Its I am not your typical nerd, I played football and basketball and then went home and got on the computer. I guess you could say I am a closet nerd.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    I hear you there... I'm 29 and grew up in a "hillbilly" region of western NYS. It was quite common amongst my peers to be into guns, we all hunted and what not, but when I left to go to college, still in NYS, just a little ways from mmy hometown, I was astounded how liking guns made you some sort of psycho.

My guess is many people have become too comfortable and naive to face reality.... And it actually extends beyond that of firearms interest too... The general sense of entitlement that seems to be.

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    I'll be 21 in April, and I'm (clearly) into firearms. Most of my friends are pretty accepting of guns, and a few even collect, but I try to be quiet about it while in public so that I'm not judged or labeled (especially while I'm at school lol). My brother-in-law is 21, and he's a very large contributor to my interest in guns.

I think people just need to get to know you before they're comfortable with the idea that you enjoy collecting and shooting firearms.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I am 26 and I noticed most are more worried about what Ipod they are carrying rather than what weapon they are carrying. It is amazing what technology has done to our culture. My kids have never seen television or played video games. We got rid of our TV years ago and it is amazing to see that children especially boys gravitate to firearms naturally.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Have you tried getting your friend to come shooting with you? Most of my closer friends are shooters, but i have plenty who arnt. I think all the non-shooters would jump at the chance to go shoot some stuff, even if they arn't going to get serious any time soon.

oh, and I'm 24.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm 30 and just had this conversation with a buddy not too long ago. We were at a bday party for others our age and he mentioned he was getting into firearms. A year ago, his wife got him a HD shotgun (870). He was researching handguns. He made the comment how so many of our friends were just now getting an interest into firearms - in a big way. I referenced the correlation between late 20's and disposable income. We have had homes for 5 years or so, and are starting to get compensated more at this age rather than 5 or 10 years ago.

I got into firearms when I was 21, but the last few years have really been the most active as far as interest, purchasing and trading. You wait, there will be more interest in the next decade. Even the guys that have never shot, they'll go shot with you and say, "$500 for a glock? OK, my family needs one."

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    That's funny because I am a computer engineer/Programmer, and enjoy all the those things. Its I am not your typical nerd, I played football and basketball and then went home and got on the computer. I guess you could say I am a closet nerd.

Same here... Have you also noticed a big percentage of IT people interested in Firearms?

I swear its like 70%

CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    That makes a lot of sense. I do have more income to work with than most of my friends. But in repeal they make the decision to buy phones and xbox's. I also recently got my father into firearms, which is awesome because he has way more to spend than I do, so I am excited to shoot what ever crazy things he buys.

I have taken my roommate shooting a lot but I started to make him buy ammo as its expensive and hard to find sometimes. when I did that he interest went out the window. oh well:dunno:

I'm 30 and just had this conversation with a buddy not too long ago. We were at a bday party for others our age and he mentioned he was getting into firearms. A year ago, his wife got him a HD shotgun (870). He was researching handguns. He made the comment how so many of our friends were just now getting an interest into firearms - in a big way. I referenced the correlation between late 20's and disposable income. We have had homes for 5 years or so, and are starting to get compensated more at this age rather than 5 or 10 years ago.

I got into firearms when I was 21, but the last few years have really been the most active as far as interest, purchasing and trading. You wait, there will be more interest in the next decade. Even the guys that have never shot, they'll go shot with you and say, "$500 for a glock? OK, my family needs one."

CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    Haha, I have some buddies back home who are computer and software engineers and they are armed to thier teeth...

I thinks its because we like simple things that can have a huge impact if not understood correctly. I mean a computer is just electricity and nothing more. and a bullet is just metal and some powder.

Top Bottom