• ...and so much more!
  • 12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I have an old Smith & Wesson Model 39-2 that fits my hand well and every time I have ever taken it out to the range my groups are the tightest of any of my handguns. Thinking about getting an old Model 59 just to see how I can shoot it. :draw:

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I am average size 5'10" 200 lbs.
    Full size gun
    Eaa Witness Elite Match .45acp. 10+1 capacity.
    Tack driver straight out of the box. It feels great in my hands. Has an excellent trigger, breaks crisp and clean.
    Compact
    Taurus 617 2in .357 7shot. titanium ported revolver.With ribber grips. It handles all loads well but I prefer to use 145 gr. WSHP.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I love this thread.

The question is what gun do you shoot best, not which is the tactical dream machine of mall ninjas and tact cool experts everywhere. I said that because the last time I mentioned this gun people started trying to tear it apart as not the best tactical handgun in existence.

I love shooting full size heavy steel frame pistols. My favorite handgun to shoot is the Jericho 941 in .45 ACP. It is the handgun that I am most accurate with and just a pleasure to shoot. I grew up shooting 1911's and still have a love affair with them. But the Jericho just feels so right in my hands and has such a natural point of aim I have to rank it above all others. If I could have only one handgun based solely on how well I shoot it, this would be the only handgun I would have.

bksboiler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Good sized hands here....I wear an extra large leather work glove.

Best shooting gun for me and feels like it was designed around my hand has to be the Sig 226. I'm more accurate with it than anything else in my safe.

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    I just got my first 1911.:rockwoot: It's a Kimber 4" barell with crimson trace.

I shot closer groups than with my XD40 service. KIMBER'S are great.

(average hands)

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    1911, probably because that's what I practice the most with.

Medium hands

My dad has a steel framed Baby Eagle in 9mm. That thing weighs a ton. But from the first time I picked it up, I hit everything I aimed at. Which surprised me because I didn't think much of the sights, or really the gun, until I started shooting.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have several, my S&W Mod., 19, is probably my favorite, and I shoot, real well, with it . My S&W Mod., 59, is probably my second choice, and I shoot, pretty well, with it also, and then my S&W Mod., 645, like it, and shoot well, with it also... My two favorite, plinkers, are, my two Ruger .22's, an old Std., Model, and a Mk III, 22/45..... I wear, size 11 gloves .....

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was wondering what handguns (especially center fire) just feel right in your hand, and allow you to shoot well, even on follow up shots? Please be specific, let us know the size of your hands and describe any modifications to your gun and why you think you shoot so well with this specific model handgun. Thanks!

Model is a 1911. That is what I shoot the most and the best. Out of the 50+ 1911 guns I own, most are Detonics pistols. The full size ScoreMaster with extended target barrel is deadly accurate and easy to shoot.

The next gun that I shoot well is the CZ75. Its also the model I own the second most of and have quite a bit of experience shooting. The fact that the CZ75 is ergonomically very similar to the 1911 makes it easy for me to transition to/from.

I do OK with Glocks and other such guns. I find the Glock aims high and I have to readjust everything but I can do OK with that gun.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    There are 3 centerfire guns in the safe that I know I will shoot well:
    S&W 610, stock except for Pachmeyer grip
    S&W 686 Hunter, a Performance Center gun with a slick action and Pachmeyers
    Kimber Stainless Gold Match (1st series)

I have big hands but short fingers. Like thinner grips. Thin Alumagrips on the 1911 and open back Pachmeyers on the revolvers.
    With all the others, I will have good and bad days and have to really concentrate on the basics. The 3 listed just feel right and don't require the mental concentration to do my best. I can't be sloppy but shooting these just feels natural.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Another vote for the

1911's and CZ-75's in centerfire handguns. Both just seem to fit me well and I shoot them the best. I can be accurate with others, but with either of these it just seems natural.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Great question, for me defining "Shoot well" depends on what type of shooting to a certain extent. Defensive/Practical Tactical vs. Bullseye.

My 2 primary carry's are a Baer commander sized 1911 and a P7 and as many have stated a great deal of why I am confident / capable with them is simply the fact that they are what I practice with. They are my carrys because they are "all arounders" fast presentation, good follow up, capable of far better than "combat accuracy".

Medium hands, fairly long fingers:

For the 1911, it has an exceptional single action trigger, High cut frame and grip safety, checkered frame all contibuting to a high and stable grip. Flat mainsping with a medium trigger. Steel frame (not alloy) helps soak up full house 45 ACP, and the gun is fast pointing and for followups (relatively speaking). I have more rounds out of 1911's than any other centerfire platform and this clearly makes it my personal best shooter for all around utility. Additional pluses are the fact that I KNOW that the gun has exceptional mechanical accuracy (meaning benched) so any shortcomings are my own.

The P7 is obviously a unique choice but it has some very good physical characteristics helping me shoot it well also. Extremely low bore axis and a frame allowing a high grip, a Very good single action trigger (almost as good as a tuned 1911 but longer). For "pointability" it is compact but has as long a sight radius as possible. Again exceptional mechanical accuracy and the recoil impulse feels very good to me. With practice I am probably faster on engagement from concealment with it over the 1911. Its relatively heavy weight is a plus for follow ups. Squeeze cocker was never an issue for me but many do not like it. You either Love or Hate the P7.

Now if Bullseye shooting, not requiring presentation or follow ups both of the above are very capable but a longer sight radius definately is a plus for me. If I am trying to cut X's at 25+ yards Colt Python really starts to shine. Again superb single action trigger and exceptional mechanical accuracy. Other "tack driver" is a Nowlin 4 port compensated barreled, 40SW, Red Dot, ridiculous trigger, old school IPSC racegun para ord. Damn accurate, fast, followups as good as anything, but it is BIG, REALLY Heavy, has to be clean and spring tuned for ammo and just don't see a good way to carry it:):

Others I think I shoot pretty well though do not practice with as much in no order:

Various Government sized 1911's
    Sig 226/228
    Walther P-88

BUG: Colt Mustang

Rimfire tackdriver is a High Standard Trophymatic, exceptionally accurate paperpuncher!

Last edited:

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am an average height guy that wears a large work glove comfortably. It has taken me a long time to find a gun that "I" like to carry and shot. I have gone through Taurus, Glock, SW, Ruger, Walter, Beretta, and a handful of 1911's and of the approx 100 handguns I've fired I have come to LOVE my SW99 in .40 (S&W remake of the Walther P99). I have put about 2k-3k rounds through mine in the last year and I can hit whatever I aim at, from 5 yard to 100 yards without a problem. Last weekend at the range I went through 100 rounds at a standard silhouette target and 4/5 were center mass or head shots, the other 1/5 stayed grouping in the torso area with not 1 miss off the black of the target.

Everyone of my brothers or friends that have fired it have liked it immensely. It is pretty much a straight copy of the Walther P99, but the slide is made in the USA and the frame is stamped in Germany, by Walther :-). The model has been discontinued, and I have yet to see it at the last 6 gun shows I've been to, so I'm very pleased with getting mine NIB. Its about $200 cheaper than the P99 and is pretty much the same gun.

I like the tactical hand grips that it comes with, so you can mod the grip for smaller and larger hands. I personally use the mid-sized grip on mine.

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    I've got medium hands/long-ish fingers. As far as accuracy- Big wheelguns. My favorite ever was a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag. I had a Springfield 1911 years ago that, well, I'd be proficient with it point blank, but that's about it:n00b:. A frind of mine bought it and got a trigger job done on it, and a better bushing. Much better, but nothing to write home about.
    I've got a Taurus 605 snubby in 357 that I surprisingly can reach out a good distance with.
    I've recently bought a Glock 26 and a Diamondback 380 for carry guns. I'm better with both of those than the 1911 I had, but the DAO will apparently take some serious getting used to.

bigmoose99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    I bought a Ruger 357 gp100 6" barrel. I have average hands and This Handgun handles excellent. Don't get me wrong it has a kick but not bad at all. The 6" barrel helps in that. I like this one the best so far.

Top Bottom