• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stanicus

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    Went with a co-worker at lunch and fired off 30 or so rounds of .380 on his property(in the boonies). He had a Ruger LCP I wanted to see and try out. I have always been to a range with ear and eye protection. The only thing I have fired without it was a .22 rifle. I was caught off guard by how loud it actually was. I wouldn't do it on a normal basis as it would most likely damage your hearing (my co-worker is half deaf), but i'm glad I know what it will sound like if I were to get into a defensive shooting. My ears were ringing initially and i had trouble hearing clearly for 5 or 6 hours afterward. Anyone else ever shot without ear protection?

On a side note, I wasn't very impressed with the Ruger. It was all over the place.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Running around in the boonies with ear plugs is kinda self defeating. Of course, everyone had the little screw on plastic bottle with a couple pair, but I'd guess about half the folks coming home from Nam were hearing impaired.

JUMBO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think most of us here at some time or other have gone without hearing protection. when i hunt i use a pair of electronic ear muff that are stereoscopic, you can hear pretty much omni directional and they cut out when the gun goes BOOM!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think most of us here at some time or other have gone without hearing protection. when i hunt i use a pair of electronic ear muff that are stereoscopic, you can hear pretty much omni directional and they cut out when the gun goes BOOM!

I actually used to shoot skeet without ear plugs, and man talk about your ears ringing after a long day of that!

I've had my ear pro fall off/come out when shooting before, and it definitely gets your attention!

79BRUISER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    I hunt without hearing protection. I'm not sure if its the concentration or the adrenelin rush of sighting in on a deer but I have never had my ears ring after taking a shot. I always use hearing/ eye protection when at the range.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    i let off a 9mm shot shell in my kitchen out the door at a racoon once. needless to say i didnt hear a damn thing for a good five mins outside of ringing anyway. had a hell of a headach for like three days after. im definitly planning on a supresser for my home 9mm so i can actually hear the 911 operator if i ever need it.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    I zeroed and did day and night qualification with my M-4 with a cigarette butt as an earplug for my right ear. Somehow I had lost one of them on the walk to the range that morning. I couldn't hear out of that ear for three days and still have trouble hearing ten years later. The moral of the story is don't shoot without earpro.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    5.56 and other smaller calibers are especially hard on the ears due to the higher frequency of the muzzle crack. I've shot my AR without earpro a few times and that was enough to reinforce the fact that it is necessary.

Now, about that supressor... :D

historybuff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Shelby County
    I was involved with several historical re-enactment groups back in the 70's. Lots of blanks and live fire, all w/o ear protection. That, coupled with 15 years of farming with not all the tractors having cabs have left me with 20% loss of hearing and that darned pesky 24/7/365 ringing. Protect your hearing, folks, not only while shooting but anytime you are exposed to ear damaging decibels.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I zeroed and did day and night qualification with my M-4 with a cigarette butt as an earplug for my right ear. Somehow I had lost one of them on the walk to the range that morning. I couldn't hear out of that ear for three days and still have trouble hearing ten years later. The moral of the story is don't shoot without earpro.

No, I would think the moral of THAT story is that cigarettes cause hearing loss.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I don't hunt with it. Usually wear it at the range, (only wear safety glasses at ranges that require it) but last time I forgot to bring any ear plugs, I couldn't hear right out of my left ear for a few days. The ringing persisted for a month and I can still hear it when it's really quiet or like right now when I think about it.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I won't shoot without ear protection. I know that if I'm in a SD situation, that I'm not going to have time to put on ear protection, so I have fired a couple of shots without it just to get an idea, but it's painful and unpleasant.

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I was bushhogging earlier this week, going around the pond I thought I'd take a crack at a frog with my .22 mag revolver. Thinking back it wasn't the best idea. I rested my pistol on my left forearm, bringing the gun to within ~18" of my ear. My ear popped when I squeezed the trigger. My ear still hurt the next day, but it is pretty much back to normal now. No blood on the q-tips, so I think I'm good.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Uncle Sam pays me monthly because I was EXPOSED to al sorts of gunfire and things that went Boom as I worked for him over twenty-one years. I would rather have my hearing back (and other body parts and functions) than all the monthly disability payments, I am super anal about hearing protection now for whomever I shoot with.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I won't shoot without ear protection. I know that if I'm in a SD situation, that I'm not going to have time to put on ear protection, so I have fired a couple of shots without it just to get an idea, but it's painful and unpleasant.

There's no need to fire some rounds to see what it will sound like in a self defense situation. Most likely, if you have to pull the trigger to protect yourself, you won't hear or notice the noise.

Top Bottom