• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo

I am wondering what the best gun to leave in mycar wile I am at work all day is. Now I am not asking about stopping power orwhat is the best round to carry but which gun would hold up to the elements thebest. The gun would be taken in the house with me at night but wile I am atwork it will be in the car and go thru temp. cycles (ex: hot to cold, cold tohot). I work 9 to 10 hour shifts and don’t want to have to worry about my gunrusting up. So does anybody have any suggestions about witch gun manufacturewould be best for holding up in these conditions?

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would think most any modern gun would hold up if it's just in your car for a few hours, especially if you were to wipe it down/give it some oil every couple of days. They're plastic and metal...

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I keep a old Radom 9x18mm in my car all year long. I bring it in to clean it about twice a year. I paid $150 for it and abuse the heck out of it, it is still in good shape. Old military style guns do pretty good out in the elements all year long.
    p003.jpg

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I have thought about this also, I prefer to carry a revolver and would hate to have it rust from going through cycles of hot and cold. Would a modified cleaning schedule help out? A shot of rem oil every couple 3 days?

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I keep an older Taurus pt111 in my truck pretty much all the time. I bought it off a guy for $200 so not real worried about it. I take it out and shoot it a couple times a year, clean it It up eezox good and back it goes. 3 Years now and it looks the same as when I got it.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Do you currently have an EDC handgun?

Will this particular gun ever be carried, or is it for the car only?

How much are you wanting to spend on this gun?

I know several people will bash them, but I have had a HiPoint as my truck gun for over 4 years now and it does great. $150 so I am not as worried about it as some of my other pistols. I keep it secured in a lock box and it has been in my truck for 4 years straight, through all the weather and looks like the day I bought it. I take it to the range twice a year and run 100 or so rounds through it and I give it a cleaning every 3 - 5 months. I have not had a single issue with it.

I would have to say though, most handguns should do fine. It just depends how much you are looking to spend.

usermax2000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    I always worry about someone breaking into my truck and taking it so i have a cheap 150 dollar gun i leave in year round....

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    A Titanium alloy S&W 637 lives in my van.

It's exposed to all changing temps hot/cold...damp/dry...
    Every once in awhile, I wipe it down with a silicone cloth... and put it right back.
    The finish looks the same as it did when I purchased it in '05.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Locations please

Be sure you post the location of your employment and a description of your car. Where you keep the gun in your car would be a real time saver, also.

Just kidding but I hope you don't talk much about leaving a gun in your car. Somebody said somebody said, ya' know!

Bonez87

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Clinton, IN
    You cant go wrong with a glock but really any newer modern handgun will be fine as long as you use a good lubricant that wont gum up when it get really cold out. just my .02

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I know the OP didn't mean this, but for those of you who leave guns in your car all the time, have you considered how dangerous that is? If your car is stolen, not only has a criminal gotten your car, you've just armed him as well.

In my opinion, the convenience of having a gun in your vehicle at all times is not nearly important enough to potentially arm a felon.

Top Bottom