• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    My gun fund is starting to near $300. I know that's low, but I am wrought with ecstasy in thinking about my next gun purchase.

Right now I have a small, concealable 9mm semi auto pistol, and a 9mm carbine (I consider it my HD gun). I also have a 1-shot shotgun that is a family hand-me-down.

I have been thinking of a full-frame 9mm handgun, 12ga pump shotgun, or some sort of 22 (10/22 or p-22) that is an easy shooter to get the wife more involved.

Anyone care to chime in? All advice asked for and will be listened to! :ingo:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have a glock 26 and i kinda wished i had gone with the 19. and i also have the pt99, which is the taurus version of the beretta. for the price, i think its a pretty good gun.

i know its not a 9mm, but i would also consider getting a full sized 1911. everyone should have at least one. :)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    You have a pistol, a carbine and a shotgun. A .22 is the only "gotta have" that's missing, and with $300, you could run out and buy one (and some ammo) right now...

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I guess it depends on what you feel your needs are. You already have a carry pistol which is a great thing to have. Unless you want to spend time at the range shooting pistols why get a full sized pistol right now.

You have a 9mm carbine for home defense. To me, I look at that as more of a SHTF type gun. I grab that if the SHTF and I know I am going to need multiple rounds. A true Home Defense weapon would be a nice pump shotgun.

You also have the 1-shot shotgun...is there history behind it?

My suggestion is sell your exsiting shotgun, maybe get 75-125.00 for it depending on what you got. That gives you 400.00 give or take.

Go to Plainfield Shooting supply and get yourself a new Remington 870 off Bob. He has them for 300.00 or so and Remington has a 30.00 mail in rebate. That leaves you 100 or so to play with. You can save up another 80 bucks or so and go get a nice Savage Mark IIG .22 lr and you will be set.

For me a good pump shotgun is your nest step. It can do so many things. You can point and shoot and hit any bad guy who breaks in your house. Gives you 4+1 rounds in case you have two bad dudes to deal with.You can shoot rifled slugs out of the smooth bore or sabot slugs from a rifled barrel and have a .50 cal rifle for 100-150 yards for deer hunting, game loads for turkey or other birds, shoot trap for fun. And if god forbid we ever do have a SHTF sceanrio, it can protect your family and put dinner on the table if need be.

You will then have:

carry gun for everyday or SHTF
    Semi-Auto rifle for SHTF
    Quality Pump Shotgun for Hunting, Home Defense
    .22lr for hunting and plinking - next step

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Good suggestions so far. Don't forget, you don't have a real centerfire rifle yet either. So, put that on your future purchase list somewhere. As handy as it is, the 9mm carbine isn't capable of filling that ballistic need (if you have such a need, or are wanting to build a battery that can meet that need, that is). The pump shotgun and .22 rifle are good candidates too. It would be helpful to know what your "concealable 9" is. For example, if it's something like a Glock 19 or other medium-sized pistol, I'd say a full-size version wouldn't be a top priority until you get the other areas filled in.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Good suggestions so far. Don't forget, you don't have a real centerfire rifle yet either. So, put that on your future purchase list somewhere. As handy as it is, the 9mm carbine isn't capable of filling that ballistic need (if you have such a need, or are wanting to build a battery that can meet that need, that is). The pump shotgun and .22 rifle are good candidates too. It would be helpful to know what your "concealable 9" is. For example, if it's something like a Glock 19 or other medium-sized pistol, I'd say a full-size version wouldn't be a top priority until you get the other areas filled in.

Thanks everyone for the super good and informative posts. My concealable pistol is a Keltec PF9. So, it's super small, hard to shoot real accurately, not really a range gun. My 9mm carbine is a Hi-Point 995. I absolutely love it as it's reliable, accurate out to 50 yds, and super fun to shoot. My shotgun is an old Winchester 20ga. It was won by my Grandma in a fishing contest years and years ago. It's not worth much.

I don't think I really have a ballistic need, so a centerfire is a ways down my list. For accurate plinking I could just go with a decent .22LR with scope. Someday if I hit the lottery, a good AR15 would be in order.

I am keen on a nice pump shotgun though... but it would be more of a HD dust-collector - not as fun to shoot and not really a range gun; so it's a tad less desirable in a very limited budget.

:ingo:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    You can get a REALLY nice Mossberg COMBO w/ a bird barrel, and a rifled slug barrel, in 12ga. for just under that $300!
    I STILL say I like my "Judge" for HD:draw:

GBultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Mossberg 500 Combo is el cheapo and is great. I've had mine for YEARS of hunting, never a hiccup.

WHRJeff

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    South Bend
    For accurate plinking I could just go with a decent .22LR with scope. Someday if I hit the lottery, a good AR15 would be in order.

I am keen on a nice pump shotgun though... but it would be more of a HD dust-collector - not as fun to shoot and not really a range gun; so it's a tad less desirable in a very limited budget.

Yes, pick up the .22LR and scope. You could expand your shooting experience and get the long range accuracy and snipping fun into your shooting regiment.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Yea, with the additional info. you provided on yourself and the guns you have WHRJeff got it right. My advice would be to get a good brand or .22 rifle. Ruger 10/22 should be at the top of the list( research it, tons of info. avail) but excellent quality can also be found in Savage, Remington, Marlin... Then begin to save to fill in some gaps/weekness in your personal arsenal. From your list a quality handgun is in need and you can't go wrong with Glocks, then the shot gun is a must have for HD. You have several guns for the wife to start with now just add the 10/22.

CapBuster49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    With some Freaks
    Ruger 10/22

Go with a Ruger 10/22. You can get one dirt cheap and upgrade as you can afford it. Start with a nice drop in pistol grip stock. Then maybe change the trigger assembly, charging handle, and maybe barrel. Grab a few 25 round mags and you got you a cheap little plinker...

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I agree, if you would never use the shotgun, (which would hve been my recommendation also) then get the .22 rifle to practice shooting with the family. Cheap ammo and fun for everyone.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I think first, a .22LR, then a nice HD pump shotty.

Anyone know of any great deals? I've been watching the firearms forums, and just checked Bud's. Their 10/22 is about $250. Seems a little high

Top Bottom