• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I keep hoping the coyotes will make a snack of our obnoxious little dog. I keep hoping my wife will back over him in the driveway but he is too fast. I keep giving him extra food hoping the extra fat will slow him down.

Take a hint from Chevy Chase, tie his lease to the back bumper of the car. :dunno:

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Funny you should ask. Just spotted a coyote this evening in my back yard. Dogs were barking at it. I got a few acres in Shelby county and there are a bunch around me. They wake us up almost every night. It's there mating season. I grabbed the A-5 with a deer barrel with some 00 buck. He spotted me and took off through the cut corn field. No shot.

I've been wanting to slip out back and try to call one in but haven't got my rifle sighted in. Been too cold.

Aaron

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    ACME (I think) makes a specific 12 gauge shell for Coyote. It is a fur seeking slug. Personally I have never been close enough to one for a 12 Gauge to be an effective tool, but I think this will work.
    If you come out the Coyote will bolt. But if you paint a fake tunnel on the side of a mountain...

Fixed it for ya. :ingo:

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Funny you should ask. Just spotted a coyote this evening in my back yard. Dogs were barking at it. I got a few acres in Shelby county and there are a bunch around me. They wake us up almost every night. It's there mating season. I grabbed the A-5 with a deer barrel with some 00 buck. He spotted me and took off through the cut corn field. No shot.

I've been wanting to slip out back and try to call one in but haven't got my rifle sighted in. Been too cold.

Aaron

They eat dogs.

Neighbor some years back almost lost his dog. Went missing and after 3 days found the poor animal behind his garage cut to ribbons and half dead. Vet said the coyotes will send in a female that is in heat to lure male dogs away. Once out in the fields and far from home the pack closes in and nips the bigger dog to death. Luckily my neighbors dog made it back to his property. If not, the feast would have commenced.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    What Gun for Backyard Coyote?

NONE -
    For God's sake. Don't arm the Coyotes.
    They'll shoot back!

I lived in the desert for years.
    I caught a few yotes stalking up on my little girl while she was playing by her swingset. I got one of them through a screen in my sun room in the house. (that was loud)
    I've nailed a bunch all around our property usually trying to take our cats and once a pack was attacking some stray dogs across the road. I shot 2 before the rest scattered. They killed three of dogs there and ran off with a fourth. Were very determined and left a real mess.
    Never officially went out to hunt coyotes. Just happened to be there at the time.

Back then I carried my Colt Officers 1911 .45. Chopped and bobbed. :shoot:

If I had my choice of weapons, I would have grabbed my 12 gauge with 00 or the AR. Depends on the terrain.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Did not realize the dogs were at risk. I got two German shorthairs. We definatly have a bunch around. They hang out in a woods across the field and run my back fence row. I know I could call One in if I sit back there

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Did not realize the dogs were at risk. I got two German shorthairs. We definatly have a bunch around. They hang out in a woods across the field and run my back fence row. I know I could call One in if I sit back there

I have seen a Walker hound or two chewed up pretty good by packs of coyotes..back in the 80s. Usually a lone young dog. The larger agressive male dogs seem to be able to defend themselves pretty easily. Two dogs are usually not really in much danger if they are together.( At least bigger dogs)!

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    coyotes love cats from what my vet tells me, there was a lady in his office the other day saying all the stray cat around her were almost all gone and was wondering if maybe someone was killing them, when the vet ask her if there were coyotes in her area she said yes, in my area you can hear them howling at night

ru6797

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2014
    Niles
    I like a good 22 with scope, lot less noise than a 12 ga, I bought some 22 caps that you can hardly hear so the neighbors don't get upset with you, in my area the hog farmers will almost pay you to come out and get rid of all the coyotes you can, they say the coyotes can kill a whole litter of baby hogs in one night

Top Bottom