• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    We used good ol Kentucky 31 fescue and it worked great with some fertilizer.

+1. If you're not concerned with the larger blade size (and won't be grazing livestock on it), KY 31 is a vigorous, lowish maintenane choice. Recommended. I saw 50# bags at Tractor Supply last week for $39.99.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I put down some Jaguar 4G turf type tall fescue last week, but it's 2-3 times more expensive than the old KY 31. The newer types mostly have a finer blade for folks that want a finer-bladed lawn. House in the woods with a bit of shade? Make your choice and pay your price.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    +1. If you're not concerned with the larger blade size (and won't be grazing livestock on it), KY 31 is a vigorous, lowish maintenane choice. Recommended. I saw 50# bags at Tractor Supply last week for $39.99.
    Where I bought mine.:D I can remember what we used in the pasture for the horses and cows will have to ask.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I would really stay clear of the KY31 at all cost. It is so clumpy that you will want to buy stock in Preparation H after mowing it a few times.

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    +1
    Annual rye can be used as a nurse crop. This is a fast growing coarse grass that provides protection for the emerging seedlings of the desired species. Being an annual, it will not remain in the turf in the following years.

I have had the best success using this method

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Well, I took the last 2 days off to get it planted. I got the executurf premium shade seed from coop. It was the only shade mix they had and I had to get it on short notice. It's closed by the time I get off work and I had to play the weather game to see when I could plant it.

I rented the pre seeder and the over seeder. The pre seeder didn't till as much as I thought it would but it got the job done. I'll post some pics later as my photo bucket app isn't working this morning.

We also got the rest of the flowers and bushes planted. Now I need to get about 500 bags of gray slate landscaping rock for the landscaping areas. We have the concrete edging guys scheduled for the end of the month.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    16cceb9b.jpg

c3d1122f.jpg

893ab51e.jpg

Top Bottom