What goes up, does in fact come down. I have proof.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmcindy

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2014
    Avon, IN
    Fired straight into the air, it is unlikely to happen.

Fired along a ballistic trajectory, the results are within the realm of reasonableness. The path could be deduced.
    I agree. That pistol was fired at quite a bit less than 90°.

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)
    I was sitting on my couch that sets up against an exterior wall. The car was parked in the driveway right outside of that wall. So, the point of impact was roughly 10' from where I was sitting. Now, had it come down directly over me, it would have had a lot more to go through since it is a two story house and we were on the ground floor, but I really don't ever want to know how well it would penetrate through my house. At the end of the day, we are thankful that it was just the car. It has reinvigorated our search for property out in the country away from these idiots.

If this is the case, the car being only 10 ft away, I would probably check the house (sides and roof) fairly thoroughly and see if there isn't more damage than the car.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Mythbusters tested pistol bullets.
    General Hatcher's "Bullets from the Sky," Chapter 20, Part 2, of Hatcher's Notebook, covers rifle bullets pretty well.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It all depends on the cost. My deductible is $1,000. So, Ill be on the hook for most of it Im sure. I don't really know what it will cost. I saw online that an OEM trunk lid costs around $650, but that does not include paint I don't think. Then there will be labor to install it. I am supposed to get a call from my insurance person on Monday afternoon to talk through it. I should also get a copy of the police report that day as well. I'll have to get an estimate early next week to see what the repair will cost.

Just guessing that your $1000 deductible is collision, which is moving. Most non-moving is covered under the comprehensive section of insurance, which usually is either a $50 or $100 deductible. Still something that should never have happened, made worse by the fact it's a new car.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    People still ignore the 4 rules of gun safety and shoot randomly straight up into the air?

For sure they do. I work in the 62nd and Michigan road area and every year there are holes in the roof from New Years random shooters. We usually find 2 or 3 after the first rain...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It all depends on the cost. My deductible is $1,000. So, Ill be on the hook for most of it Im sure. I don't really know what it will cost. I saw online that an OEM trunk lid costs around $650, but that does not include paint I don't think. Then there will be labor to install it. I am supposed to get a call from my insurance person on Monday afternoon to talk through it. I should also get a copy of the police report that day as well. I'll have to get an estimate early next week to see what the repair will cost.

I know it's after the fact, but low deductible insurance is only a few dollars more. My deductible is $100, and it costs less than $8 more.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Any chance the police can nail down who did this? Witnesses, etc..

Last edited:

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Personally I would make up a flyer and drop it in people's doors nearby. I doubt it will help your situation but by spreading some awareness maybe the moron who did this won't next year.

Bigguy5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Michigan City
    I know around me the Police respond to 100's of "Shots Fire" calls on New Years. It simply amazes me how many people go outside inside city limits and fire guns into the air with no thought of life and property damage.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Rule #2, Rule #4, and I'd add "have a good reason" for shooting a firearm. The minute hand moving straight-up on the last day of the year is not a good reason to shoot a firearm.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    We had the typical New Years eve this year. We stayed inside, ate, watched the ball drop, and listened to the idiots a few blocks away fire their hand guns in celebration of the new year. The not so typical part was what we found while getting in my car today. By the way, I bought this car about 3 months ago, so it is still new.

View attachment 43931

So, it appears that someone thought it would be a good idea to shoot a .45 ACP handgun up into the air. I had the police come out to file a report. They removed the bullet from my trunk lid which revealed the damage.

View attachment 43932

So, now I get to look forward to finding out how much it will cost to replace a trunk lid.

It pierced the top layer of metal and dented the second layer. I think it would be safe to say that if a person would have been standing in that location when the bullet fell, it would likely have been fatal. So, nobody be an idiot like whoever shot this. Something is always on the other end of the bullet.
    I worked in body shops for decades and owned my own business as well.
    It is REPAIRABLE. Easy repair, a good shop can blend the paint and re-clear without noticeable repairs.
    Where are you located?
    I'd get in touch with Allen M at Diamond Collision. He's a quality shop and most likely can save you a good chunk of your out of pocket cash.
    IF it's as nice a car as you say then definitely get it repaired.
    Watch the water.
    Sorry about your luck with a crashing meteor.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Fired straight into the air, it is unlikely to happen.

Fired along a ballistic trajectory, the results are within the realm of reasonableness. The path could be deduced.

My first thought also but the pix sure make it look as if it came in straight down

Top Bottom