• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handyman1028

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    i have a few questions to ask. im building a PPS43 from a kit, do i need to apply for my tax stamp before i build? and do i need to fill out 2 different forms since im building it and pondering on making it full auto. thanks for any help you guys can give me Marx

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    do i need to apply for my tax stamp before i build?

Most certainly.

and do i need to fill out 2 different forms since im building it and pondering on making it full auto.

You can't make it full-auto unless you are a licensed Class 2 manufacturer (and if you were, you wouldn't be here asking these questions). Further, you must build a semi-auto (even a registered SBR) so that it fires from a closed bolt, rather than from an open bolt as the original submachine gun does.

IMO, it'd be way easier to buy one of the 16" barreled semi-auto PPS43s from MGS, do a Form 1 and have the barrel chopped (or replaced with a subgun barrel).

Russian PPS-43 Semi-Automatic Carbine - 7.62x25 & 9mm [FIRUPPSH43P] - $749.95 : Military Gun Supply, Your Source for Military Guns and More!

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    i have a few questions to ask. im building a PPS43 from a kit, do i need to apply for my tax stamp before i build? and do i need to fill out 2 different forms since im building it and pondering on making it full auto. thanks for any help you guys can give me Marx

You will need duplicate Form 1's, a certificate of compliance and duplicate print cards. The Form 1 will need to be returned from ATF before building.

You can only make it a full auto if you are a SOT manufacturer.

HTH

Last edited:

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Im not sure what your building ? I mean i understand you want a PPS43, but you can build many different configurations ... A pistol or a rifle? and you DONT need a "tax stamp to build either. The stamp would be needed if you were planning on building an NFA item. ie SBR or AOW.

As far as "needing 2 forms" The BATF isnt going to send you 1, 5320.1 form let you fill it out & send it in & then tell you 3 months later, oh ya you were supposed to fill out 2 of those forms :dunno:
    If your wanting to build a Semi auto SBR outa your PPS43 kit call this number 301-583-4696, tell the kind lady what you are wanting to do & she will more than likely know what Packet you need. The packet will have the 2 Form 1 applications , 2 citizenship forms, 2 fingerprint cards & sometimes a comment card on how helpfull the BATF was for you.
    I am not a lawyer & dont forget us parts count :ar15:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Im not sure what your building ? I mean i understand you want a PPS43, but you can build many different configurations ... A pistol or a rifle? and you DONT need a "tax stamp to build either. The stamp would be needed if you were planning on building an NFA item. ie SBR or AOW.

I'm not an expert on the PPS43, but as I understand it, the parts kit doesn't include a receiver and you can't buy PPS43 receivers anywhere, so you have to make your own. I believe that's where the Form 1 comes in. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    the parts kit doesn't include a receiver and you can't buy PPS43 receivers anywhere, so you have to make your own. I believe that's where the Form 1 comes in. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're building it as a Title I gun (16"+ barrel, 26"+ OAL, semi-auto), you don't need to file a form, even if you're fabricating your own receiver.

I believe the PPS43 kits come with a cut receiver; MGS sells "repair sections" to build/rebuild it into a semi-auto configuration.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I think since he posted this in the NFA forum, Shooter521 and I both assumed that he was building a semi-auto SBR with "thoughts" of making it an original full auto.

Now he knows he can't make it full auto so we are aback to SBR.

Maybe he can fill us in better on his plans.

Pps43-p.jpg

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    If you're building it as a Title I gun (16"+ barrel, 26"+ OAL, semi-auto), you don't need to file a form, even if you're fabricating your own receiver.

I believe the PPS43 kits come with a cut receiver; MGS sells "repair sections" to build/rebuild it into a semi-auto configuration.
    :+1:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think since he posted this in the NFA forum, Shooter521 and I both assumed that he was building a semi-auto SBR with "thoughts" of making it an original full auto.

I assumed so as well, but given that he apparently didn't know that you can't make a new FA, I didn't want to go too far with the assumption.

As for not needing to Form 1 a Title 1 rifle, I know you can build it but am I correct that you cannot then sell it at a later time? Can you Form 1 it after the fact in order to serialize it and sell it? (All assuming that you're also creating what would normally be a serialized receiver as well, of course).

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I assumed so as well, but given that he apparently didn't know that you can't make a new FA, I didn't want to go too far with the assumption.

As for not needing to Form 1 a Title 1 rifle, I know you can build it but am I correct that you cannot then sell it at a later time? Can you Form 1 it after the fact in order to serialize it and sell it? (All assuming that you're also creating what would normally be a serialized receiver as well, of course).
    Im pretty sure you can serialize it & sell it(with out f1ing it) as long as the boys in black know about it, & your not doing it(making firearms) to make a living

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Im pretty sure you can serialize it & sell it(with out f1ing it) as long as the boys in black know about it, & your not doing it(making firearms) to make a living

That is not what I've been told. My understanding has always been that if you build the receiver yourself and it is not form 1ed it can never be sold. But then that may just be on cautious side and not actually the law.

handyman1028

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    fa is out so what ur saying is if i build it with a standard barrel it would b considered a SBR? b ut if i put a 16 barrel on it the i wont need to file any forms

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    fa is out so what ur saying is if i build it with a standard barrel it would b considered a SBR? b ut if i put a 16 barrel on it the i wont need to file any forms

Yes if you build a standard lower with a registered receiver and a min 16" upper no paperwork is required is my understanding. If you plan to build it with something smaller than 16" then SBR it is and paperwork would be needed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom