• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    What type of emergency are you planning for? Short term where you stay at your house just means having enough reserve food available that you already eat. Longer term at home could be dehydrated foods and packaged items with a long shelf life.

We have been building up reserves of our regular type foods. Anything non-perishable. Have also started slowly buying and storing longer-term items. Rice, beans, flour and such. Buying some O2 absorbers and mylar bags to set some up for even longer term storage.

We have MRE's as well. This is for easier handling when bugging out. They can also be used if we have no power and the generator dies.

Start buying extras of your regular meals. Canned goods, dry goods and what ever else you would eat without an emergency. Add to that some longer term items like bulk grains, canned meats, dehydrated items and such.

Some people say to have certain amounts on hand. From three days to three weeks, to three months or longer. That depends on what you feel comfortable with, what you can afford and what you have space for.

If your plan is for bugging out then different foods will be selected. I am trying to plan for both. The lines get crossed for me at times though. I am glad that we started prepping more as we put the extra food to use when I had a three week lag in my employment.

SHTF doesn't always mean that the zombies are here. Smaller scale events happen all the more.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    We stock what we use.
    What do you use now?

Filling a bunker with beans and rice is gonna start to suck after about the 4th day of your SHTF if you're not used to cooking with it.

Don't think of it as storing, think of it as a better prepared lifestyle.

BTW, we have rice, beans, corn, wheat berries, oats, quinoa, peanuts, cashews, salt, peppercorns, baking soda, cinnimon, yeast etc.

Home canned meats, veggies, fruits, and a few freezers full of meat, veggies, and fruit.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    We stock what we use.
    What do you use now?

Filling a bunker with beans and rice is gonna start to suck after about the 4th day of your SHTF if you're not used to cooking with it.

Don't think of it as storing, think of it as a better prepared lifestyle.

BTW, we have rice, beans, corn, wheat berries, oats, quinoa, peanuts, cashews, salt, peppercorns, baking soda, cinnimon, yeast etc.

Home canned meats, veggies, fruits, and a few freezers full of meat, veggies, and fruit.
    This is it right here, being prepared is a lifestyle change, not just the act of buying a bunch of stuff. If you stock flour, what will you use it for? We stock flour, but also stock yeast and bake our own bread......You won't know what to do with your surplus if you don't form a plan and enact parts of it now...Could you go to the kitchen and bake a loaf of bread right now? What about if you have to use the fireplace and a dutch oven to bake it? Another point mentioned that fits in with what I'm saying perfectly is to store what you use and use what you store......This helps with rotation, practice, and not getting sick of the same meal repeatedly in case of an event....Another staple we keep plenty of on hand is bisquik, that stuff is way easy to use and can be used for lots of different things with just water...or milk....or milk plus an egg...etc.....Rice, pasta and other grains (barley, millet, etc) are great sources of carbs that can make a small amount of veggies and meat go a long way, while beans will provide protein when meat isn't avail....Form a plan and start to live it now. Oh, I almost forgot, stock the seasonings you commonly use too or food will get really boring really fast when you run out of the jar on the shelf...

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    I am looking to provide for 7 people in my house and I would like to have a food surplus for 12 months we have started talking about foods and we get stuck on meals has anyone got receipes for dooms day meals. I looked into things but bagged noodles say 10 to 14 months and drying meat I have tried turned out salty and a little rough I have googled certain foods and just wandering if my real life brothern have a good method already thxs for your time. ingos is a great thing

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I am looking to provide for 7 people in my house and I would like to have a food surplus for 12 months we have started talking about foods and we get stuck on meals has anyone got receipes for dooms day meals. I looked into things but bagged noodles say 10 to 14 months and drying meat I have tried turned out salty and a little rough I have googled certain foods and just wandering if my real life brothern have a good method already thxs for your time. ingos is a great thing
    Store your noodles in the freezer and they won't stale, soak your dried meat before yo use it to lighten the salty flavor, or buy canned meat. I stock tuna and some chicken but you can also get beef. I have even seen completely cooked hamburger in the pouches (not freeze dried), spam, vienna wieners, or even can your own meat in mason jars. As far as recipes go, there should really be no reason to stray from the ones you currently use other than to alter cooking time based on the method being used.....Spend part of the summer preparing meals on the grill (not just burgers, brats and steaks), it simulates cooking over an open fire/coals pretty darn well since that's basically what it is...

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Remember what Uncle Sam taught us....if it is warm blooded, and fur bearing, it is fit to eat. Boggles the mind eh? I'd eat my neighborhoods cats before I'd submit myself to a steady flow of MRE. My advice, lots of brown gravy packets, and instant potatoes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    werlingandsons.com is a great site to purchase canned meats online. 12 28 oz cans for around 65 bucks compared to the 85 you will spend going through someone else, and u can mix and match between many different meats plus theres other things like taco meat and beef chunks in gravy . i kno ill be placing an order with them this weekend. they also use no preservatives and its low fat no refridgeration required

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2011
    Remember what Uncle Sam taught us....if it is warm blooded, and fur bearing, it is fit to eat. Boggles the mind eh? I'd eat my neighborhoods cats before I'd submit myself to a steady flow of MRE. My advice, lots of brown gravy packets, and instant potatoes.
    i think ill be buying some gravy packets now to lol.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    werlingandsons.com is a great site to purchase canned meats online. 12 28 oz cans for around 65 bucks compared to the 85 you will spend going through someone else, and u can mix and match between many different meats plus theres other things like taco meat and beef chunks in gravy . i kno ill be placing an order with them this weekend. they also use no preservatives and its low fat no refridgeration required

They have Goetta in a can! Now I have to order some! Mmmmm Goetta!

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I would say to always look at the shelf life of a product. When you get close to the end of it's life, eat it and replace it. Also get stuff that you normally eat, If you do not like it now you are not going to like it just because it is the only thing around.

I would also recommend that you learn to can and make your own. I can't remember the last time I bought salsa. Same for spaghetti sauce with the exception of our backup jar. We have only done water canning before due to our stovetop but will be doing pressure canning this year with a outdoor stove we bought and a pressure canning I will be getting.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I myself have choosen the dehyrated food path. We store peas, carrots, potatos,broccoli, even fruits. Stored in vaccume sealed mason jars. Dont forget things like salt, pepper,and the other seasonings needed to prepare meals. powdered milk, cheese and eggs should also be included in your larder.
    I will say it again, store what you eat, eat what you store. Dont lay up a ton of beans and rice, if they are not what you would normally eat. Most important thing is, you are thinking of doing something, that puts you ahead of a lot of folks. Keep asking questions!

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I myself have choosen the dehyrated food path. We store peas, carrots, potatos,broccoli, even fruits. Stored in vaccume sealed mason jars. Dont forget things like salt, pepper,and the other seasonings needed to prepare meals. powdered milk, cheese and eggs should also be included in your larder.
    I will say it again, store what you eat, eat what you store. Dont lay up a ton of beans and rice, if they are not what you would normally eat. Most important thing is, you are thinking of doing something, that puts you ahead of a lot of folks. Keep asking questions!

I got a dehydrator for christmas as I really wanted to try it after seeing you show us all you had done. I really like dehydration for storage. My dehydrator is a plain Nesco model but works ok for me. I may get an excalibur if I get better at it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Please don't forget whole spices. Bland food's a killer. Look at spice blends you use and buy the whole spices/dried herbs to make them with. Also remember to stock some herb seeds to grow. Your taste buds will thank you for it.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Please don't forget whole spices. Bland food's a killer. Look at spice blends you use and buy the whole spices/dried herbs to make them with. Also remember to stock some herb seeds to grow. Your taste buds will thank you for it.
    this. i have perennial herbs (rosemary, oregano, marjoram, chives, etc.) planted around the house. also have a stock of annual herb seeds- i always let some go to seed to be set for next spring. also get some jars of chicken and beef base. shelf stable without refrigeration, and goes a long way in improving rice, beans, etc. much better than bullion cubes imo.

Top Bottom