• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I read of the controversy surrounding "bullet buttons" in how they circumvent gun laws in some states taking advantage of some loophole in the law, but what in the world are they? They are even mentioned in feinstein's new AWB proposal alongside thumb hole stocks.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Essentially it makes a removable magazine into a fixed magazine.
    You need to use a tool to remove the magazine from the gun.
    Something pointy .... like the tip of an unfired round.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    California people had the mag release button on their ARs setup such that they were too small and tiny to depress by hand. You needed the tip of a bullet to drop the mag. The interpretation was that needing a tool meant it was no longer a 'detachable magazine' for purposes of their idiotic law.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Something, thank God, we haven't needed in Indiana yet. Short answer- it makes it so you have to use a "tool" to remove the mag, which could be the tip of a bullet. The reason for it is that then you could claim that you did not have a removable magazine, but had a fixed magazine that is removed with a tool. This is to remove one of the characteristics that makes a rifle an "assault rifle".

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    In Kalifornia you aren't supposed to have detachable magazines that are easily removed and replaced; the law states that a "tool" must be required to remove them. So some enterprising folks developed a feature (a "button") which must be depressed with a "tool" (the tip of a bullet), in order for the magazine to be removed. Although not as easy to use as a finger or thumb operated magazine release button, its a heck of a lot better than needing a wrench or a screwdriver to change magazines.

brichindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Forgive me for wanting to engage my fellow Indiana gun owners in conversation instead of crawling once more to the "all-knowing" left wing google god for my firearms related questions that they may or may not grace me with their blessed answer.

Been on INGO long enough to see that many of the questions being asked are from folks who like to be spoon fed the info... So I couldn't resist with my previous post.*

Give a man a fish - feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish - feed him for life.*

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Great point, from now on, whether with people in person on in an online "community", which for some reason I thought was a place where people could exchange firearms knowledge, it'll be nothing but Google from here on out. If I play my cards right, I may never have to interact with another human being again!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Feinstein tried unsuccessfully to get the bullet button banned in her State so that is why it is part of the AWB she is introducing in the Senate.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    Been on INGO long enough to see that many of the questions being asked are from folks who like to be spoon fed the info... So I couldn't resist with my previous post.*

Give a man a fish - feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish - feed him for life.*

I hate to disagree, but if you teach a man to fish, he will sit by the water and drink beer.

brichindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Great point, from now on, whether with people in person on in an online "community", which for some reason I thought was a place where people could exchange firearms knowledge, it'll be nothing but Google from here on out. If I play my cards right, I may never have to interact with another human being again!

Glad someone got the memo :yesway:

I hate to disagree, but if you teach a man to fish, he will sit by the water and drink beer.

Shhhh....not what my old lady thinks.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VseNzVcIjtc&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If an AR is "fixed" with a non-removeable magazine, how is one expected to load it?

(forgive this non-googled question oh wise 20-post elder)

You have to remove the magazine to load it, it's just harder to remove the magazine than originally designed.

The bullet button is a asinine answer to an asinine law.

I can't remember the other one out there in commiefornia but the magazine was basically bolted
    in place in an AR and you needed to separate the upper from the lower to be able to load it.

:n00b:

Snavelybob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    Look up California legal ar15... The bullet button is a way better alternative to filling your clip from the inside of the chamber.. I love my detachable mags.

Top Bottom