What drills did you run this week and how did you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Ran the new snubs, 442uc and k6xs, as well as the p365xl with boresight chopped macro module.

442uc shot high at all distances with 148 wadcutters. It was unpleasant due to the grips and i don't care for the round front sight.

k6xs was great! Hit to the sights with 148 wadcutters and was a joy to shoot.

I remounted the dot and had no issues with precision today. Got a decent zero, though i need to adjust slightly but after all that snub shooting and then getting it zeroed i was mentally hit, especially with the hot and humid weather. I'll go again tomorrow and start with the p365 as anticipation started to set in today. Probably do my standard battery again tomorrow.

As far as the boresight module goes - i hate the lip on the front, the texturing is fine but still seemed to have some slippage during slowfire, and it did not change the way the gun indexes for me when i have locked wrists - still points super low. Otherwise it seems like a fine piece of gear hahaha. I don't know if i see $300 (discounted as i got it on the secondary) of improvement and likely will try to chop a standard macro after i see which backstraps work best for me. If that works better the boresight will be sold or passed around to friends and aquaintances who are curious but are smart enough not to shell out the coin (unlike me haha).

AremRed

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Indianapolis
    Is there a list somewhere of beginner drills? Wanting to actually train accuracy instead of just waste ammo, albeit having fun.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Is there a list somewhere of beginner drills? Wanting to actually train accuracy instead of just waste ammo, albeit having fun.
    https://pistol-training.com/drills/ is a varied all level list. Very early on i like to do high reps of simple drills. Draw 1's to a high percentage target (8" circle, uspsa lower a zone, large steel etc), draw's to low percentage targets (2" circle, 3x5 card, upper a zone etc). Draw one reload then shoot two. Failure drills (draw two to a high percentage target and then transition for one to a low percentage target). Walk back drills (per given target just a simple no time limit shot. If you hit move back a yard or 5 yards pending the increase in difficulty you'd like and the given target and see how far you can make it before missing)

These basics can go far as you track your time. You can throw in variables like changing distance, adding extra rounds (after draw ones start doing draw 2's and draw 3's), starting changing gears (multi shot strings with different target sizes so that your forced to change the speed and care necessary per the given target).

You can do a very nice session and learn a lot doing 10 sets of several of the above. Whether you pick a distance to work on every session and then have your core drills that you do reps on for that session or mix up distance on the same session for a given exercise, it all has value as is back to the basics stuff. Other drills are just combinations of these with other peoples par times or target attached.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Cold drill was a modified Defoor Pistol Test #1. I failed because i dropped 1 out during the third string. Otherwise I made all times etc...I didn't have any b8's but hits were acceptable and likely within standard on the 6" circle i had handy.

I then ran the 99 drill. I did not expect to fare well with the 365 but i surprised myself. I ended with a 79/99, and from my data that is right about where i place on average with a compact or fullsize pistol. I dropped 12 on the first set of d3 @7 in 2.5, as i am still a touch slow out of the holster but was mostly clean but over time.

I ran the 1r2 @7 in 5 clean thru the 7th run then dropped a point each on the 8th and 9th strings and went ot on the final for 27/30.

During the d3 @10 in 3.5 i cleaned the first 6, let pressure get to me and dropped 2 on the 7th and a single on the 10th for another 27 /10.

I also dropped a point on the first and third string of the d3 @15 in 5 for 7/10.

TL d3@7in2.5, TR 1r2@7in5, BL d3@10in3.5, BR d3@15in5
    The boresight module is growing on me as i get more comfortable with it. I didn't notice the lip as much and dry practice all week helped fix my grip issues so the gun stayed put in recoil. Overall i think i am happy with this setup for a carry piece. I do not see myself going back to g19 sized guns.

Then i moved on to the snubs. I ran DocGKR's 20 hits with both the k6xs (with new core control grip) and the 442uc (which had new nills!) and both faired somewhat close. I still need to add up the times but 13 strings each to achieve 20 hits and right around the 3 second mark give or take a tenth or so either way. Tough buggers to shoot but i'm going to continue working at them.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Friday I ran Ben Stoegers 1 shot recovery drill (or Tim Herrons bang, click drill, whichever you prefer) and then Bill drills at 7, 15, and 25 yards looking for a total time of 10 seconds.

I took a class over the weekend. To paraphrase the immortal words of Roger Murtaugh, I am getting too old for this crap!

AremRed

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2024
    Indianapolis
    https://pistol-training.com/drills/ is a varied all level list. Very early on i like to do high reps of simple drills. Draw 1's to a high percentage target (8" circle, uspsa lower a zone, large steel etc), draw's to low percentage targets (2" circle, 3x5 card, upper a zone etc). Draw one reload then shoot two. Failure drills (draw two to a high percentage target and then transition for one to a low percentage target). Walk back drills (per given target just a simple no time limit shot. If you hit move back a yard or 5 yards pending the increase in difficulty you'd like and the given target and see how far you can make it before missing)

These basics can go far as you track your time. You can throw in variables like changing distance, adding extra rounds (after draw ones start doing draw 2's and draw 3's), starting changing gears (multi shot strings with different target sizes so that your forced to change the speed and care necessary per the given target).

You can do a very nice session and learn a lot doing 10 sets of several of the above. Whether you pick a distance to work on every session and then have your core drills that you do reps on for that session or mix up distance on the same session for a given exercise, it all has value as is back to the basics stuff. Other drills are just combinations of these with other peoples par times or target attached.
    Awesome thank you! Are there any good drills specifically for anticipating recoil? I tend to jerk shots high.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Had a quick session on 8" steel today. Ran my half dollar (half a 99 drill on 8" steel at double the distances) with the boresight moduled 365xl. Scored a measly 33/50. Some over time on string 1 and some misses on the later strings. Finished with single shot draws at 30 yards going for sub 2.

Swapped over to the 442uc and did some draws from 10-25 yards. Sucked it up big time but here's the highlight reel.

25 yard draw

20 yard draw

Pair at 10

10 yard draw

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I have come to loath / respect Aaron Cowan's (Sage Dynamics) Eleanor drill.

I will never make his par time or accuracy standard, but I'm happy if it breaks the line and my time is sub 3.5 from low ready. (Cannot draw where I shoot this)

1000002368.jpg

M&P compact 11 ft 3.25 seconds.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have come to loath / respect Aaron Cowan's (Sage Dynamics) Eleanor drill.

I will never make his par time or accuracy standard, but I'm happy if it breaks the line and my time is sub 3.5 from low ready. (Cannot draw where I shoot this)

View attachment 375630

M&P compact 11 ft 3.25 seconds.
    That is a tough one. I have the target hanging up at home and often dry fire it. Today I shot it live for 8 reps at 12 yards on an IDPA target. I was running a pretty consistent 2.6 seconds.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Ran the barricade and the 10-25 yards stages of the practical for Action Pistol practice with the 686 SSR. I dropped 21 points on the barricade (one over time that cost me 10, one in the 5 point scoring zone and three in the 8 point scoring) On the first 3 stages of the practical i only had two in the 8 point zone.

Still hoping to make the October match at Pickaway in Columbus. If not, these make for pretty fun yet practical practice.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Ran the new snubs, 442uc and k6xs, as well as the p365xl with boresight chopped macro module.

442uc shot high at all distances with 148 wadcutters. It was unpleasant due to the grips and i don't care for the round front sight.

k6xs was great! Hit to the sights with 148 wadcutters and was a joy to shoot.

I remounted the dot and had no issues with precision today. Got a decent zero, though i need to adjust slightly but after all that snub shooting and then getting it zeroed i was mentally hit, especially with the hot and humid weather. I'll go again tomorrow and start with the p365 as anticipation started to set in today. Probably do my standard battery again tomorrow.

As far as the boresight module goes - i hate the lip on the front, the texturing is fine but still seemed to have some slippage during slowfire, and it did not change the way the gun indexes for me when i have locked wrists - still points super low. Otherwise it seems like a fine piece of gear hahaha. I don't know if i see $300 (discounted as i got it on the secondary) of improvement and likely will try to chop a standard macro after i see which backstraps work best for me. If that works better the boresight will be sold or passed around to friends and aquaintances who are curious but are smart enough not to shell out the coin (unlike me haha).
    I got to shoot Rob Garrett’s 642 UC at the East Coast Snub round up .

When you say you shot high with 148 where was the sight? I held it low and top flush and it was dead on with both 148 WC and 130 Federal Ball for me.

Bryan Eastridge mentioned a lot of folks mentioned the high impact and he seems to relate it to the older J Frame with no real back sight everyone held it to out the blade on the chest

Might not have been your case but I see how folks do that.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ran the barricade and the 10-25 yards stages of the practical for Action Pistol practice with the 686 SSR. I dropped 21 points on the barricade (one over time that cost me 10, one in the 5 point scoring zone and three in the 8 point scoring) On the first 3 stages of the practical i only had two in the 8 point zone.

Still hoping to make the October match at Pickaway in Columbus. If not, these make for pretty fun yet practical practice.
    I really like action pistol (Bianchi Cup) and wish there were more opportunities to shoot it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    1000001044.jpg
    Shot the RangeMaster September drill of the month as warm up yesterday. Not a great score but as it was a cold performance I will take it. The discouraging part was my first shot at 25 was the high right one, the next 4 were in the 10 and X rings.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I got to shoot Rob Garrett’s 642 UC at the East Coast Snub round up .

When you say you shot high with 148 where was the sight? I held it low and top flush and it was dead on with both 148 WC and 130 Federal Ball for me.

Bryan Eastridge mentioned a lot of folks mentioned the high impact and he seems to relate it to the older J Frame with no real back sight everyone held it to out the blade on the chest

Might not have been your case but I see how folks do that.
    I used a normal equal height equal light and bisected the target expecting it to impact at the top edge.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    View attachment 377647
    Shot the RangeMaster September drill of the month as warm up yesterday. Not a great score but as it was a cold performance I will take it. The discouraging part was my first shot at 25 was the high right one, the next 4 were in the 10 and X rings.
    Down 11 (if I counted right) is not a bad run well over the 90% required as a RM Instructor

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Short range trip last night because I knew I was going back out today. I started again with the Rangemaster DOM shooting a 291/300. I then went into a couple of runs of the old Air Marshall Qual. Randy Harris had mentioned Kahr arms is doing a challenge on their website, https://www.kahr.com/kahr-shooting-challenge/ I shot it using my range/IDPA gear from open front concealment. I was able to clean it both times but I have to say with a small iron sight gun this would be a difficult test. Even with a full size gun you have to do everything just right, not a lot of room for error. It covers a wide range of skill but is easy to set up. I ran it again this morning with a coworker/shooting buddy who is a better shooter than me. Well, at least he beats me at matches 90% of then time if we are shooting the same division. He is shooting BUG at an upcoming major so that is what he shot this morning. Though I think with a little work he could pass it, he didn't make it today and he is far above an average shooter. It is almost hard for me to believe that a LEA passed this on the regular. Of course they have made it easier since then.

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Ouch....265 Cold due to a miss i could not account for at 25 that cost 10 and an ot on the who string due to not having a dot upon presentation. I didn't paste previous target thinking i have no problem keeping it on a b8 and i failed that right away at 25. The rest were on target in time, excepting that who string.

Chopped 365 boresight macro to xl thing

Attachments

• 20240909_105654.jpg
      20240909_105654.jpg
      406.5 KB · Views: 1

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    Ouch....265 Cold due to a miss i could not account for at 25 that cost 10 and an ot on the who string due to not having a dot upon presentation. I didn't paste previous target thinking i have no problem keeping it on a b8 and i failed that right away at 25. The rest were on target in time, excepting that who string.

Chopped 365 boresight macro to xl thing
    RM dotm ^^^^^

Also ran an advanced Supertest at 291. Finished with snub stuff.

Attachments

• 20240909_110856.jpg
      20240909_110856.jpg
      492.3 KB · Views: 0

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Last night I shot our club 2 gun match but went pistol only as I have a "major" IDPA match this weekend. Hit the range for a quick one after a board meeting at the gun club. Started with the Sept RM DOM again and went 290/300. At some point one of those 25 yard shots won't get away from me. Shot the air marshall qual again as darkness was coming and that covers a lot of skills. Finished with 4 runs through the warm up stage of this weekends upcoming match. 3 targets at 10 yards, 6 R 6, 2 to each body and 2 to each head. If you run it the "normal" way of 2-2-2 body reload 2-2-2 head you definitely have to remind yourself after the reload that the down zero in the head is a smaller target. For me that means a stopped, stable dot in the center and a deliberate trigger press.

Top Bottom