• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Can someone give me some advice on dog food? What is recommended and what should I avoid and why?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Can someone give me some advice on dog food? What is recommended and what should I avoid and why?

Oh wow. You're going to get answers all over the board on this one. Honestly I would recommend asking a vet or ask the shelter where the dog is now what they've been feeding. Every dog is different. I used to rescue Greyhounds and there are certain brands (and types) of food they just don't do well with. Now I have a dog who refuses to eat anything but the generic WalMart brand. The only thing I can definitely suggest is that once you find a brand that works for her, don't switch it up.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Oh wow. You're going to get answers all over the board on this one. Honestly I would recommend asking a vet or ask the shelter where the dog is now what they've been feeding. Every dog is different. I used to rescue Greyhounds and there are certain brands (and types) of food they just don't do well with. Now I have a dog who refuses to eat anything but the generic WalMart brand. The only thing I can definitely suggest is that once you find a brand that works for her, don't switch it up.

Yeah, I will get with the vet and see what she suggests. I was shopping in Walmart and thought those huge bags of food cost a lot more than was listed. I wonder how much food a mid-large sized dog goes through a month?

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, I will get with the vet and see what she suggests. I was shopping in Walmart and thought those huge bags of food cost a lot more than was listed. I wonder how much food a mid-large sized dog goes through a month?

I have a husky greyhound mix. He's probably close to the same size as Dora from the pictures I saw of her. If I get one of those big 40 something pound bags of food it usually lasts him just over a month. Of course, that's my dog. Your mileage may vary :)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

Well the first thing is too ask what food is being fed to Dora right now, when you change food it is best to not switch straight over, but to mix, 75old/25new 50/50, 25/75 and finally 100% new. It's the best way to not upset their digestive system, last thing you want is a new pup with the wrong kind of runs. :(

Find a dog food that is low on fillers, you'll always notice a pup that is eating dog food that is full of fillers, they will leave a LOT of :poop:, don't go with a can/wet food, bad for their teeth. You'll have problems later down the road, dry food helps with keeping plaque off their teeth.

This is what we feed our Border Collie Sarah, low on fillers and was recommended by some dog trainers we ran into @ some doggie fairs we took Sarah to.
    Precise Pet Products | Foundation

It's not the cheapest, it's 42.95 per 40# at Pet Supplies Plus in Avon, but we have a loyalty card that usually takes $5.00 off for us to make it $37.95.

Too bad we have to feed our BC Ellie a prescription dog food to keep her from urinary track problems ( she microscopic crystals in her urine), her Science Diet CD is $27.00 for a 8# bag. :noway:

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Well you just described my dog. She is a mutt.
    I am not even sure what the mix is but opinions from veterinarians are:
    @56lbs
    Dalmatian
    Beagle
    PitBull

If you can find that mix you might have a winner.
    Her temperament: she plays with other dogs, kids, loves people as long as they don't try anything hinky. She has pined on two separate occasions men trying to break into houses. She stop a car jacking attempt. Has bitten two people that were trying to break into our property. And finally when we were attacked by a pit bull as I was walking her she bravely squared off against him.

Like I said if you can find one like this:

IMG_0281_zps26748670.jpg

That head and face, screams Labrador to me (at least this picture does) !!!!

Whatever she is, she's agood looking dog....

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Adora is home!

Well, the search is over and Adora is home with us. She is boxer/pit mix and perfect for us: active, but with the ability to calm down and she doesn't demand attention, but requests it.

She is getting used to the house and follows me wherever I go right now. I NEVER thought that I would feel like this about an animal. I've read posts about people losing their pet and just didn't understand the pain, but now I can certainly sympathize with anyone going through such a loss.

IMG044_zps685b0ce5.jpg

47797689d933ca5db99c26b664c0bd2f_zps016ebd27.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Beautiful dog, already looking like a member of the family!

I've never known a dog more loyal and loving than my Boxer, and with the Pit mixed she is sure to be a fierce guard dog. Interesting mix honestly. I hope you guys get many great years with her as a loving member of your family. Congrats!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Late to the game on the dog food, but our vet questioned us about the food my dogs were eating 2 weeks ago during a visit. She said to stay away from Purina Beneful but other Purina was good to go.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks, everybody. They had her on Eagle Pack in the shelter, but she turned her nose up to it when we got her home and tried to feed her. She's probably still too excited to eat right now.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Just so you know, I have saved lots of money on dog treats.

Barney likes celery, broccoli, and Cheerios WAY better than any dog treat/biscuit out there.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    She's adorable!

What food you feed her is really going to depend on her activity level and how much you decide to work her. All in all, I recommend always going with a grain-free food simply because dogs themselves weren't meant to digest things like corn, oats, and wheat. It messes with their system and can result in anything from diarrhea to full blown allergies like my pup. If she is going to be worked, she should be on one of the higher protein formulas, usually over 35% or so.

Taste of the Wild is a fabulous brand and is pretty reasonably priced for a grain-free formula. You can find it at Tractor Supply or Speck's.

If you have a Costco membership, you can go one better and get their Nature's Domain grain-free food. It is produced in the same factory as TOTW, and is essentially the exact same food. A 35lb bag of the Salmon formula right now runs me about $33 and lasts 2-2.5 months at 2-3 cups a day. It varies depending on the time of year and her activity.

Any of the formulas for either brand are perfect. I just use the Salmon since my girl is allergic to anything with poultry in it. All of the oils in the Salmon formula certainly make her coat shine, and she has been free of skin allergies for years since going grain-free.

Oh, and higher protein and less fillers = significantly smaller poops

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Thanks, everybody. They had her on Eagle Pack in the shelter, but she turned her nose up to it when we got her home and tried to feed her. She's probably still too excited to eat right now.
    She may also associate that food with the shelter she was at. Might not be the best memories for her. Switch her food and see if that works.

Top Bottom