• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Perhaps the savings for 9mm aren't what you are after, but as soon as you start doing calibers like .44 mag or .45 Colt, the saving are exponential. WELL worth starting a hobby such as reloading.

Great point ! Using 9mm as an example doesn't represent potential cost per round savings of reloading really well. I load more for .44, .41 mag, and .357 sig than I do 9mm.

Besides, as others have said, it is enjoyable for me to do it. I enjoy reloading almost more than shooting it. Nothing like making something that works better than what you can buy! Come one USPS!

Time is money. It must be something a person enjoys. Otherwise, it will seem more a PITA and if you calculate your time spent, whether it's worth it or not might come into question.

And about USPS... If someone wonders what the bigger bang for the buck is ( reloading your own or buying factory), just watch the USPS drivers face when he lugs a $ 150.00 dollar order of cast bullets from Missouri bullets and you'll know the answer. :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Exatctly what I'm doing....id rather shoot more if I'm gonna pay similar amounts of money. Mass loading on single stage might induce suicide.

I've been doing it for 25 years or so LOL. On a Lee Hand Press. It is a lot of work, but for someone without the space to dedicate to a permanent reloading area, it's a life saver.

It is, admittedly, getting to be a chore to reload for three shooters, though... Perhaps that was part of my evil reasoning in prodding Sean to pick a .22 for his first handgun :D Still, until I have a space to dedicate, the solution may well be to order another Hand Press and put Cathy to work with me. She's been more than willing, but there's only so much for two people to do with one press.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I've been doing it for 25 years or so LOL. On a Lee Hand Press. It is a lot of work, but for someone without the space to dedicate to a permanent reloading area, it's a life saver.

It is, admittedly, getting to be a chore to reload for three shooters, though... Perhaps that was part of my evil reasoning in prodding Sean to pick a .22 for his first handgun :D Still, until I have a space to dedicate, the solution may well be to order another Hand Press and put Cathy to work with me. She's been more than willing, but there's only so much for two people to do with one press.

I have a progressive, but I also own and use my Lee Hand Press alot. You really "become one" with your ammo after loading with that press! It's great for doing resizing and crimping steps while watching TV.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Yeah, I save a lot reloading in .40, already paid off my press this year with the number of rounds I've shot in various matches, training, practice and playing around.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    And about USPS... If someone wonders what the bigger bang for the buck is ( reloading your own or buying factory), just watch the USPS drivers face when he lugs a $ 150.00 dollar order of cast bullets from Missouri bullets and you'll know the answer. :D

he had to "roll" my last order to the door..my wife was cracking up!

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Here is my load cost calculation.

Metalic
    Powder Grain/Oz Load in Grains Oz/Lb $/Lb $/RndBox

0.0023 3.516 $20.00 $0.0101 $0.50

Per 100Bullet $12.00 $0.12 $6.00

Per 100Primer $3.50$ 0.04 $0.75
    Totals$0.1651/Round
    Box=$8.25
    Retail$19.00

Savings =$10.75
    Simple little spreadsheet that you can change the prices in.

Last edited:

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    I just got started in reloading, and my main incentive was to be able to shoot more .38 and .357. My nearest ammo supplier is Wallyworld, and it is on the way to the shooting range. While I can get 9 mm there for under $10 per 50 (when in stock...) it costs 3X than much to buy .357 IF it is in stock. And .38 is between 2X and 3X as much as the 9 mm. So I do still get my 9 mm there, but I'll be able to afford to shoot a LOT more with my revolvers now that I reload. I figure I can make my own rounds for about 25% to 33% of what it cost at the store. That's where my big savings will come in. Plus, it is a fun hobby too.

Cannondale

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    You can get 115g JHP from Montana Gold for $302/4000 or about 7.5cents per. Add primers for $32/1000 or 3.2 cents per, a penny for powder, and range brass. A reload will cost about 0.12 per or $12/100

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can reload 9mm real Cheap!

When Star Amumition was still in biz I used to get their seconds real cheap, 125grn soft points. like 5 or 10 bucks per 500. Went and bought all I could afford when they went out of biz. I still have about 2K left and about that many re-loaded, minus what I fired at the bocat steel targets!

Top Bottom