• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    G96, Carbon Killer, Slip2000 EWL, Gunzilla (sometimes). Those 4 things will clean about everything. Never been a fan of Hoppes cleaning products, blasphemous in the gun world, I know

CQB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Central North Forty
    Have you ever stored a firearm for a long period of time that was cleaned/lubed with Frog Lube? The reason I ask is, I used it on a 9mm semi-auto that I rarely shoot, and when I took it out of the safe the other day and worked the action, it seemed "gummy". I've never run into that with CLP. :dunno:

the two I've been using it on haven't sat in the safe much yet. I'll keep on eye on them. Now that winter is coming, they'll be in the safe more.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I ocaisionally use Hoppe's Semi-Auto bore cleaner. I mostly use Clenzoil. Clenzoil Field & Range Product - Clenzoil Worldwide, LLC
    3372007.jpg

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    hoppes 9 and follow up with oil for normal cleaning. I occasionally use clp. I use window cleaner with ammonia on mosin after shooting corrosive ammo then follow up with normal clean later.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    the two I've been using it on haven't sat in the safe much yet. I'll keep on eye on them. Now that winter is coming, they'll be in the safe more.

I stripped mine down yesterday and cleaned and lubed with QCG and CLP and now it's working as it should. I know that Frog Lube relies at least in part on heat to make it effective, so I wonder if that is a factor. The cabinet where this gun is stored is in a rather cool room in our house (low 60's for a temp).

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    True-I know someone told me to use windex on my sks's when shooting highly corrosive ammo when at the range then when you get home to break it down and do a complete clean out. Have done this for several years and they have not pitted yet. So windex and human cleaning would have about the same ingredients for cleaning!:dunno:

No need at all to use Windex. This is an Internet-age-old MYTH.

The active ingredient against corrosive salts contained within Windex is nothing but WATER.

WATER WATER WATER. Water will dissolve the corrosive salts and flush them out.

Windex is, depending on the product, 93-95% WATER.

WATER WATER WATER.

But, if you want to pay that much for the WATER - be my guest. But you're wasting your money.

"But - use the Windex that has the ammonia in it!" Wrong again! The salts formed from corrosive primer detonation are, by far an large, Potassium Chloride - or KCl. KCl is, for the most part, NOT soluble in ammonia.

But KCl dissolves readily in water.

WATER WATER WATER.

You then must get rid of the water by whatever means you choose....

WATER WATER WATER!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Have you ever stored a firearm for a long period of time that was cleaned/lubed with Frog Lube? The reason I ask is, I used it on a 9mm semi-auto that I rarely shoot, and when I took it out of the safe the other day and worked the action, it seemed "gummy". I've never run into that with CLP. :dunno:

This is the reason I stopped using Froglube. It was bad enough that my CZ 75B started to fail. I cleaned throughly and used my normal gun oil and all is fine again. I don't think Froglube works that well in pistols with a lot of slide rail area. At least, it does not on mine.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    On my rifles and revolvers, I use my own take on eds red, works great, smells better.

Glocks get dry scrubbed, wiped down with alcohol, and I use a touch of dow33 to lube.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Break Free CLP to clean the guns.
    Hoppes #9 to put me in the mood to clean guns. (I've been addicted to the smell of that stuff for fifty five years.)

Top Bottom