• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dragnut06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    South Bend
    I'm looking at buying a new gun from local gun store (Midwest Gun Exchange) and there are 2 guns im trying to decided between. I already carry a glock 27 and looking for a back up/ankle gun. i found a S&W j frame or the sig p238. i like and want both. leaning toward the s&w for price range. but i just cant decided. anyone have any inputs or experience with either or both of them?

Dragnut06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    South Bend
    yes i know its all about opinions but what i am willing spend and what i like but im just trying to get much info on these as i can before just buying one.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    As a backup those are both nice, but are you limiting it to those 2?
    I really like the P238, I'm a sig fan though.
    The S&W I think are cool, but personally never could get used to the feel of.
    The 38 is a more powerful round.
    IMO, the Ruger LCP would be worth looking at, holds the same rounds as the P238 but is lighter weight and less expensive. The P238 dose have better sights and a manual safety/hammer, although one thing I like about the LCP is it dose not hang up at all coming out of the pocket.
    The S&W would also be a bit bulky I think, and as a backup I dont see to much need for more penetration, also 5 shots as apposed to 7.

Another thing I saw, Sig came out with a P250X2 which comes with both a fullsize p250 and a mini with matching number at a real decent price, I havn't looked into it but I would like to see what they look and feel like, as well as if you can buy the little ones seperatly.
    May be worth checking out there site if your in teh market. Midwest is a big store and they will get you what you want if they don't have it.
    Did you check out the LCP or any others while you were there???:ingo:

Last edited:

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    I just bought the P238 last weekend at the Fort Wayne gun show. I think I will like it. I only shot 7 rounds thru it so far but it fed well and was accurate. I just ordered a Bullard holster for it last night. It is heavier than the LCP and P3AT but I liked the single action and 1911 style. I have a Taurus 85 but just prefer the semi autos. You'll make mistakes in purchases until you find the perfect fit. I bought a Rock Island CS .45 and love it but it's heavy! After half a day it's pulling my pants down.
    Good Luck.

BigCat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    They are both good guns but one thing to consider is the ammo for the sig. Finding 380 ammo is like finding gold right now. It just isnt around much.

This is true. My brother just purchased a P 238 and has had trouble finding ammo from local stores; however, he was able to order more than enough ammo online to practice, increase proficiency, carry, and keep some on hand. In other words, it may not be the most available ammo, but it is possible to get your hands on some if you have a little time.

He went with the 238 because the majority of his other guns are 1911s and he preferred the similar manual of arms and could not get comfortable enough with a wheel gun as a CCW.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    J frame and plan to put a set of Crimson Trace grips on it for your birthday. Best BUG ever and lots of ammo available.

Buckaroo

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    They are both good guns but one thing to consider is the ammo for the sig. Finding 380 ammo is like finding gold right now. It just isnt around much.
    I keep hearing this, but I have yet to ask for it and not receive it.
    We live by midwest and they tend to keep plenty of ammo, may not be able to demand a specific type all the time but they got .380
    IMO you don't need booku ammo for the back up any way.
    I have thought about saving it, but I went last week and they had plenty of it. So me and mom put over 200rnds down range. (between mostly the PK380 and some through the LCP)
    If you can't find .380 you can PM me and I'll sell ya a box or 2 if you can't find any(FMJ that is). :D

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    I gotta say both guns are outstanding weapon systems. But I side with the J Frame.

The P238 brings with it a great single action trigger (although slightly heavy for a 1911 at 7lbs.), way better sights than you'll find on other .380's, a manual safety, 7 round mag, and a flat profile that would be easy to conceal. If you like running a 1911, this would be a good gun.
    The down side is that the cocked hammer could leave an area on the gun to snag on a pocket or ankle rig, the manual safety could be hard to operate on such a small gun, and with this design being farely new there won't be many options for accessories( ie. laser grips, holsters, sights). At 14 ounces it is about an ounce or two hevier than the J Frame, but that will also make it easier to manage the recoil.

The J frame on the other hand has an outstanding double action trigger(like your Glock, only better), no manual safeties to manipulate and will run reliable to the very end. The thing will hide anywhere too. The only downside is that the sights are not very good, it only holds 5 rounds, and some people don't like the grips.

I have to say, i carry a Glock 32 and a J Frame S&W 442(Cenntenial DAO). I absolutely love the J Frame. I don't really care about the sights because I have laser grips. The little extra bulk of the cylinder makes no difference at all, and the weight is perfect. Sometimes I even forget I have it in my pocket or on my ankle. I can get any holster I want for it because every company makes a J Frame holster and accessory of sort. The trigger is similar to my other carry gun(G32) which makes transition and training that much easier. No safeties to deal with so it's fast into action. I also feel much more confident with the .38special than the .380. Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135grain +P ammo is the absolute best ammo I have ever shot in any .38 special and it's performance is second to none. Expands in everything i have ever shot penetrates deep, and recoil is so easy to manage I could shoot this gun all day. Even with 158 grain +P lead RN it's is easy to shoot.

J Frame Model 442 or 642 Cenntenial All the way!

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    I carry a Smith steel-frame Model 36 on-duty as a BUG. We're not authorized SA autos, so the SIG would be moot. I hardly notice the 36 is there, even after a 10 hour shift.

And for those who complain about the sights, I call bull. Invest the time and ammo to learn how to shoot a J-frame, and you will be rewarded. I can consistently qualify with the snub at 25 yards, and my eyes aren't the best at longer distances.

Top Bottom