What do you miss? (for anyone not a lifelong Indiana resident)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I wish Marion's Pizza would hop over from Ohio and open up a place in Indianapolis. I can live with only getting Esther Price Chocolates once a year, but not having a Marion's nearby is...tough. The family that owns it has never borrowed a dollar from the bank to finance or expand their operations. They grew from one store to about 5 or so, increasing slowly by financing growth from existing operations. By the time they'd hypothetically make it across the state line from Dayton, I'll be pushing up daisies.

I also miss paying $6 for license plates. (No idea what they cost there now).

Last edited:

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I wish Marion's Pizza would hop over from Ohio and open up a place in Indianapolis. I can live with only getting Esther Price Chocolates once a year, but not having a Marion's nearby is...tough. The family that owns it has never borrowed a dollar from the bank to finance or expand their operations. They grew from one store to about 5 or so, increasing slowly by financing growth from existing operations. By the time they'd hypothetically make it across the state line from Dayton, I'll be pushing up daisies.

I also miss paying $6 for license plates. (No idea what they cost there now).

We get marions from time to time. Wife is from Kettering and we still visit friends there

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Sooner Born and Sooner Bread and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead...

1.) I miss family, and all the depth that that word means
    2.) I miss those spring thunderstorms, the way the front blows right into your face and you can smell the rain. Watching the clouds move and shift and the THUNDER. Oh my heart, the sound of Thunder on the plains is like nothing on earth. How a Tornado warning brings out all the neighbors you haven't seen in a while to chat while you watch the sky. And local weather forecasters who actually knew how to call a storm in a way that kept people aware and out of danger
    3.) I miss the sunsets, those brilliant colors that go on forever and fill the sky so much so that you have to stop and take it all in
    4.) I miss Langston's where you can actually buy a real pair of boots that will be comfortable and sturdy enough to survive the day and NOT make you look like your headed to some dance (smh)
    5.) I miss Braum's Ice Cream, scooped by hand (mint chocolate chip or peppermint)
    6.) I miss those 'fancy' lunches with my dad at Cattlemen's downtown in the Stockyards...LOL, didn't care for the smell as you were walking to the building but they have amazing food
    7.) I miss Bricktown on the weekends with friends, trying to figure out how many people we could fit into a booth at Spaghetti Warehouse
    8.) I miss real Mexican food
    9.) I miss Ted's Cafe Escondito but I'm told it's not the same now that they've opened other locations. They hand made their salsa and flour tortillas and chips and really everything and they had great service!

Geez...so basically it sucks to get old almost as much as it sucked moving away and now I'm hungry for Mexican food...but I don't miss the heat

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Came from east central Illinois and only moved 14 miles to west central Indiana so not far enough away from anything there. However I do not go back to Illinois for much of anything, really hate the whole state. Moved my banking and doctors to Indiana.
    I still have some family there and a few friends, a lot of the friends are also associated with the American Legion where I still keep my membership. Been on the Honour Guard for quite a few years and do not plan to give that up.
    I had spent time in Indiana for many years, the roads are much better to go out for a motorcycle ride and I have been riding over 50 years now. Got a Florida CCW in 2003 and since then I have been carrying in Indiana so another reason to spend time here instead of Illinois. Same with IDPA I got started shooting over here and find the Indiana clubs more inviting. Jim.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I am from central Illinois and miss Hamburger Horseshoe sandwiches

My friend in Springfield introduced me to those sandwiches. I make them myself every once and a while.

Kinda funny that the only positive things I could think about Illinois were food that I'm used to. And I agree with the several posters above about really good Mexican food in the Southwestern states. I suspect it's fairly universal if you spend a large part of your life in one area, you get used to the regional food and miss it when you move.

Last edited:

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    My friend in Springfield introduced me to those sandwiches. I make them myself every once and a while.

Kinda funny that the only positive things I could think about Illinois were food that I'm used to. And I agree with the several posters above about really good Mexican food in the Southeastern states. I suspect it's fairly universal if you spend a large part of your life in one area, you get used to the regional food and miss it when you move.
    I worked down the street from Charley Parkers. The home of the horseshoe. They also served huge pancakes and awesome tenderloins

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    We get marions from time to time. Wife is from Kettering and we still visit friends there
    I'm also from Kettering/Dayton. Marion's pizza is my favorite. Miss how downtown Dayton used to be. Was an exciting vibrant city in the 60's-70's. Now it is a vacant lot warzone with no hope. It was nice growing up near the USAF museum and all the Wright brothers sites.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Wife's a Jersey transplant of damn near 30 years now. She still misses "real bakeries" as she calls them. I've had what she calls good bakeries and I gotta tell you I don't get it.

vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    Eastern Ky, family, the hills, woods and hollers. My chicken & Dumpling, my grandmas butterscotch pies. Grouse and quail hunting. Christmases together.
    Both my parents are from there (Gay's Creek and Loyall). Although I spent about half my childhood there, I still don't get to call myself a Briar.

Top Bottom