• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    I'm not necessarily opposed to executing incorrigible criminals. I simply believe that it should be done reluctantly, even sorrowfully. With love, if that makes any sense. My objection is to the mindset that sees and desires torture and death as a form of entertainment -- not the fake stuff like one sees in the Saw films, but real, actual torture and death. I don't believe it's possible to desire such things without searing one's own soul or conscience or whatever you want to call it.

Its become obvious to me that people who commit these crimes, continue to commit these crimes over and over until they are no longer released from prison.

This guy was in prison 2 or 3 times for rape before killing Jenn Evans and her sister. Of the few times I met Jenn I don't think she had a mean spirited bone in her body. She was a hard working young lady, trying to make a good life for herself.

Man charged in death of 2 sisters - 9/16/09 - Chicago News - abc7chicago.com

You can deal with your feeling however you'd like but for me, I'd trade anything including my soul to keep criminals like these off the streets.

I wouldn't enjoy an execution or any such dealings, but it is serious work and it must be done in order to preserve the lives of others. I suggest we leave evidence of such dealings in the open so that it may discourage others from committing the same crimes.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    You can deal with your feeling however you'd like but for me, I'd trade anything including my soul to keep criminals like these off the streets.

If you gave up your soul/conscience, what then would differentiate you from the criminals you despise?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Soylent Green is people!
    soylent-green-762584.bmp

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I agree, there is no hope for this guy, end him. I do however also feel that as ineffective as our justice/judicial system is, there really needs to be a bit of care taken before we just start executing people. There are WAY too many innocent people in prison for heinous crimes. I know, I know, they're all innocent right? Well, every day more people are released because of "new" technology that exonerates them of their crimes. What do we do about an innocent person that has served 30 years in prison and is found innocent of the crimes they were convicted of because we now have DNA testing? Or worse yet what do we do about someone that was executed 30 years ago, but now we find out it wasn't him/her?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree, there is no hope for this guy, end him. I do however also feel that as ineffective as our justice/judicial system is, there really needs to be a bit of care taken before we just start executing people. There are WAY too many innocent people in prison for heinous crimes. I know, I know, they're all innocent right? Well, every day more people are released because of "new" technology that exonerates them of their crimes.

Repped. As Christopher Hitchens put it, the problem with human beings is that our adrenal glands are too large and our pre-frontal cortexes are too small. Thanks for being an exception to the rule.

What do we do about an innocent person that has served 30 years in prison and is found innocent of the crimes they were convicted of because we now have DNA testing?
    Ideally, we owe them a great amount of restitution. Some states do this, others don't.

Or worse yet what do we do about someone that was executed 30 years ago, but now we find out it wasn't him/her?
    I think the answer around here is to assume they did something wrong that we couldn't pin on them, and call it a righteous kill.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    What do we do about an innocent person that has served 30 years in prison and is found innocent of the crimes they were convicted of because we now have DNA testing? Or worse yet what do we do about someone that was executed 30 years ago, but now we find out it wasn't him/her?

What if we release them back into society and they repeat a crime. DNA testing is not the be all end all test.
    Have you ever heard of someone with more than 1 set of DNA?
    How many of these guys have walked because the hair sample didn't match the semen or blood sample?

Human Chimeras

These Fused Fraternal Twins Can Confuse DNA Tests

Nov 7, 2007 Barry Starr

Genetic tests can be wrong if one of the tested people is a human chimera.
    rounded_corners_5_fff.png

Imagine a welfare mother denied custody of her children because her DNA points to her not being their mom. Or another mother who cannot get a kidney transplant from her son because they do not share enough DNA.
    Strange stories like these are becoming increasingly common in this new age of DNA testing. In both cases, the moms really were the moms. They each are just made up of two different sets of cells with different DNA—they are chimeras.
    How Chimeras Happen

In Greek mythology, a chimera was a beast made of a lion, a goat and a dragon. Human chimeras aren’t as drastic as this but they actually exist.
    A human chimera is made up of two sets of cells with DNA as different as any two siblings’ DNA. This is because a chimera is the result of fraternal twins fusing together at a very early stage in development.
    This can happen because early on, embryos are made up of embryonic stem (ES) cells. ES cells have not yet committed to being any specific kind of cell so having a few extra or missing cells is well tolerated. At this stage, it is OK to remove a cell for genetic testing (called preimplantation genetic diagnosis or PGD). Or to combine two sets of ES cells to create a chimera.

Combining two sets of ES cells with different DNA has no consequences for the new chimera. Unless they are of different sexes in which case the chimera may end up a hermaphrodite. Or unless the chimera is getting a DNA test done.
    Getting the Wrong DNA Results

A DNA test is usually done by taking some blood or cheek cells and looking at the DNA. This is fine if the person has the same DNA in every cell (which is usually the case). But a chimera can run into problems.
    Because different body cells will have different DNA, it is possible that a DNA test can give incorrect results for a chimera. Imagine that a woman has one set of DNA in her cheek or kidney cells and a different set in her eggs.
    Now she has a DNA test done on her children and one done on her kidney or cheek cells. When the results are compared, she looks like the children’s aunt instead of their mother. This is what happened in the custody and kidney transplant cases.
    The children looked like nephews or nieces with one set of cells. And like sons and daughters with the other set of cells.
    If chimerism is more common then most scientists think, then they’ll need to be more careful in how they interpret DNA tests. As more and more genetic tests are done, scientists will be able to figure out how rare chimerism really is.

Read more at Suite101: Human Chimeras: These Fused Fraternal Twins Can Confuse DNA Tests | Suite101.com http://genetics.suite101.com/article.cfm/chimeras#ixzz0ZAEQjxBg

Top Bottom