• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    What do you do with a guy such as this. Pay particular attention to his criminal history in bold.

Police catch Texas escapee: 'He was tired of running'

(CNN) -- A Texas inmate who escaped last week -- on foot even though he was thought to need a wheelchair -- has been recaptured, the U.S. Marshals Service said Monday.

Arcade Comeaux Jr., 49, was carrying two loaded pistols when he was arrested without incident at 7:40 a.m. at a business in Houston, Texas, said U.S. Deputy Marshal Alfredo Perez.

"[Comeaux] was cold, wet, tired and hungry. He had had enough," Perez said. "He was tired of running."

The arrest was made by two Houston police officers responding to a suspicious-person call about a man who matched Comeaux's description.

Comeaux was sitting in the lobby a northeast Houston business, apparently in search of warmth and shelter, when officers approached, according to Houston officer Adrian Rodriguez.

"As soon as we saw him, we knew it was him," Rodriguez said at a news conference Monday afternoon.

Comeaux was serving three life sentences when he escaped on November 30 while being transferred by two armed guards from Huntsville to Stiles.

He produced a weapon and forced the two correctional officers to drive instead to Baytown, near Houston, where he handcuffed them together in the back of the van, took their weapons and one of their uniforms and ran away, officials said.
    Perez said authorities haven't confirmed whether the two pistols found on Comeaux Monday are the guards' weapons, "but they look to be the same."

Perez said the marshals service had fielded hundreds of calls of sightings by citizens over the past week, and were responding to a Crimestoppers tip in the same area when they saw Comeaux taken into police custody. More than $30,000 in reward money had been posted by law enforcement agencies for information leading to his arrest.

Comeaux was being transported Monday afternoon back into the custody of the Texas prison system, Perez said.

Comeaux, who was on the marshals' list of 15 most-wanted fugitives, was serving time for aggravated sexual assault and two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon when he escaped. The 6-foot, 200-pound man was shackled and in a wheelchair, which he had said was needed for mobility, according to Michelle Lyons, director of public information for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice in Huntsville.

Some 45 minutes into the transfer trip, as they were driving through Conroe, 40 minutes north of Houston, the prisoner pulled out a pistol and ordered the guards to drive south to Baytown.

He fired once, but hit no one, officials said.

Law enforcement officers found the unharmed officers an hour later.

Comeaux was being transferred so he could be near a hospital in Galveston for treatment of the supposed paralysis he had suffered during a reported stroke, officials said.

Comeaux's criminal record dates back more than three decades. In 1979, he received three 10-year sentences for rape of a child, aggravated rape of a child, and burglary of a building with the intent to commit theft, all in Harris County.

He was released on mandatory supervision in 1983, but he was returned to prison in 1984 after being convicted of indecency with a child and sentenced to 20 years.

In June 1991, he was released on mandatory supervision but returned as a violator four months later. Paroled in December 1993, he was returned as a parole violator a year later. In February 1996, he was again paroled, but was returned to prison in June 1998 with a life sentence for aggravated sexual assault.

Though he had been in prison since, his criminal record didn't end. In July 1999, he used his wheelchair to pin his wife against a wall during a contact visit and stabbed her 17 times with a homemade knife, said John Moriarty, inspector general of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. He also stabbed another prison visitor who tried to intervene; both victims survived.

For that, Comeaux was convicted on two counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and received two additional life sentences.

He now will face additional felony charges.

His escape led the legislator whose committee oversees Texas' criminal justice system to call for a shakeup of the prison system.

"We just can't have security breaches of this nature," said Sen. John Whitmire, a Democrat from Houston who is chairman of the state Senate's Criminal Justice Committee.

Moriarty said such lapses are highly unusual in the state's penal system. "We have no open gun investigations other than this one," he said. "The last one was several years ago."

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    Not only that but why in the heck do we as a civilized society keep putting this trash out on the streets to violate our people. Good God fearing people that work hard to get ahead in this world...I pray for all of our kids..And how they will have to deal with this,it is hard enough now I can't even think about what they face.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    And they say gun control is the answer.

That man's criminal history reads like a record of failure for the judicial system.

Maybe its time to throw in the towel as far as "reform" goes, and take action to prevent him from being a danger to others ever again.

I'll pay for the bullet.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I thought I read that he was serving 3 life sentences and he escaped.

Guess they need better restraints and wiser guards.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here's my solution for the parole problem. Any person convicted of a violent crime and gets parole must get housed with every member on the parole board for 6 months each. Let them subject their wives, husbands, and children to these animals. Those on the board don't care as the animals are most likely not going to the board's living areas.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Put him in a big meat grinder.
    Make hamburger.
    Feed other prisoners.

Just a thought.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I will not incriminate myself by posting my thoughts as to his "disposition".

Suffice it to say, At < 800 yards, my solution for him would cost less than a dollar! :cool:

sandman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    in denial
    While in the marine corps I spent a ton of time at the rifle range (as all marines do). You are required to complete a yearly m-16 qualification....unless you shoot expert. You shoot 500 meters open sighted. I have always said this would be a great learning tool/way to control taxpayer money spent on low life non-contributers to society. You take one of these scumbags who cannot be reformed and strap them to a target. At 500 meters a human torso is about the width of the front sight post of the rifle. Two things get accomplished here. One, is there is no fear of being able to pull the trigger when the time comes that it is necessary. And secondly, my tax dollars can go to fixing the %&^ing potholes in the road I drive on going to work everyday!!!

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    I tend to think the prison system needs to focus on retribution and restitution before they start worrying about rehabilitation. Only after the criminal has paid for their crime against civil society should they start to even think about whether or not they can ever become a part of that society again. Make prison someplace no one can stand to be so they get the full impact of breaking the rules. Too often, it seems, criminals have it better in prison than they did on the street and it has little to no deterrent. This guy shouldn't have made it outside to commit another crime, let alone multiple crimes.

Top Bottom