• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Last weekend I decided to go squirrel hunting with my girlfriend. I wanted to try out a new woods that my Dad bought this year with some farm ground. A neighbor and his son have bow hunted there for years, so Dad gave them permission to keep hunting. I had no idea if they'd be out hunting that afternoon. It was about 3 pm, so I figured it was too late to call their house to find out if they' be in the woods. What am I supposed to do?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    This week, call them and develop a plan of action where you and they can let one another know when you're out. With the advent of cell phones and texting, this shouldn't be an issue. Maybe an orange flag at a convenient, easily seen location that's put up when someone enters the area and let's the other party know their presence.

The last thing either group wants is an unforeseen accident while out enjoying a wonderful day of hunting. Maybe a 'group meeting around the kitchen table' between all involved? I'm sure, between the lot, a good, workable solution can be found. Safety first, and good people can usually come up with something that works so everyone can enjoy their pursuits. :yesway:

dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    I wondered about a flag on the corner of the woods. Before stepping in I called out for a response. (I got one.) I backed out. I felt bad that I possibly ruined his afternoon, but I figured it could have been a lot worse if I didn:'t.

nocash84

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    I just ask the ones that have permission to text me before going onto any of my land. Keep a good relationship with trusted neighbors, they can give you a heads up if someone is out there doing something wrong like dumping trash or cutting good timber.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Those that hunt on the farm are required to park in one of a couple of places. That way others know they are there. (We know where everyone goes, as they have their favorite spots).

communication is key.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I like the idea of a "parking lot" area. Anyone who is in the woods or on the property needs to park their vehicles in that spot. If there is not car/truck there, then there is no hunter in the woods. Definitely get the phone number of the other hunters and keep the lines of communication open. He may tell you he only hunts the weekends so you know you can go M-F with no trouble, etc.

Top Bottom