• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What should I do with my 9mm shell casings after I shot at the range?
    I dont reload, maybe I will in the future but not in the near future.Maybe in years.
    So what should I do?

I guess its a bad thing to just throw them away even if I dont reload.

Should I keep them and store them in boxes if I ever reload in the future?
    Give them to someone from INGO who could reload a part of the spent casings for me? :dunno:

I dont know the cost of reloading ammo.Lets say I have 100 spent casings that I give to someone.How many reloaded rounds can this person give back to me if I dont give him any money but just let him have the rest of the casings?
    You know what I mean?
    Would I get 5%, 10%, 20% ... of my ammo back?
    At this point I dont plain on paying to have someone reloading for me.

I guess also if I find someone to take me to the range and that reloads I could give him my spent casings.

Thanks to anyone who can advise me on that. :ingo:

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    If you don't reload, you should just start. ;) If you plan to in the future, I would buy a tumbler to clean the brass so you can store it all nice and shiny. Old stored once shot brass seems to never tumble very clean.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Unless you plan on getting out of 9mm, I would keep them. Only thing better than once fired brass that you know the history of, is new brass. Check out the cost for new brass and you will see the benefits of saving them.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I give all my brass to a friend that reloads. He let me shoot some of his guns at the range. He is the reason I am once again a gun owner. The least I can do is give him some brass.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    i dont think anyone will do any reloading for you for 100 cases. you could save them until you get 500-1000 and sell them

I know I wouldnt ask until I get a lot but I said 100 just to have an idea of how many % of the shells someone could give back to me.
    I dont even have any idea how much someone would pay to buy 100 spent casings (or 500 or 1000).Just to get an idea on the price range.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I know I wouldnt ask until I get a lot but I said 100 just to have an idea of how many % of the shells someone could give back to me.
    I dont even have any idea how much someone would pay to buy 100 spent casings (or 500 or 1000).Just to get an idea on the price range.

got ya. figure 1000 once fired cases is 45ish bucks.

so 100 cases would be 4.50ish so you could probably get 15ish rds loaded with your cases and he would keep the other 85. that should get you in the ballpark but not exact.

also i dont load 9mm yet so i could be way off

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    got ya. figure 1000 once fired cases is 45ish bucks.

so 100 cases would be 4.50ish so you could probably get 15ish rds loaded with your cases and he would keep the other 85. that should get you in the ballpark but not exact.

also i dont load 9mm yet so i could be way off

Well thanks its just what I wanted to know. :yesway:

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    You might get with Aszerigan, he operates Profire Ammo, a site supporter here on INGO. He is a licenced reloader in the Indy area that has offered to reload your brass. Check him out, one heck of a nice guy, and if you do decide to reload, he offers classes too.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

First off: Reloading for someone else for sale or trade is a no-no without a license. Sure a lot of folks do it, but the ATF says no, and the liability concerns are high.

Second, 9mm is one of the hardest to get rid of, but even bulk brass for scrap has a value. A 5 gallon bucket full will fetch $60-80 for scrap at a scrap yard. You can sell once fired, sorted 9mm brass for $1-2/100, some folks may pay a little more.

Third, if you shoot more than a box a month and you don't reload, and money is an issue, you should start. You can by a handloader setup with dies for around $70
    Lee Breech Lock Hand Press Kit - MidwayUSA

Lee Carbide 3-Die Set 9mm Luger - MidwayUSA

a Classic loader (uses a mallet to do all the steps) for about $22:
    Lee Classic Loader 9mm Luger - MidwayUSA

Both those sets can be kept in a shoebox so space is not an excuse.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I pay no more than $0.03/case. For 9mm, it costs me about $12/100 loaded rounds. I would probably give 20 loaded rounds for 100 cases, but even that seems high. I dont normally pay for cases, so I guess that isnt included in my cost and would significantly raise them.

Anyways, save them! Get into reloading eventually. You can get in for under $100 and have saved enough within a thousand rounds. Buy a load book ($15), a Lee Hand Press ($30), Dies ($35), Lee Dippers ($12) and you about have all you need to start. Then you need bullets, primers, and powder! ($10, $4, $20; powder will last over a thousand rounds)

Top Bottom