• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    OP, another thing I should have mentioned is never make a big deal of greetings and goodbyes. Just completely ignore the dog during these moments.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    He needs his pack.At this point his pack is you.Dogs are very social critters.It may be time to add another dog to the mix.That way when you leave he is not alone.Another pack member/play mate may just solve your problem.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    He needs his pack.At this point his pack is you.Dogs are very social critters.It may be time to add another dog to the mix.That way when you leave he is not alone.Another pack member/play mate may just solve your problem.

This, and I've heard the thundershirt works very well.

I have two dogs, and one hates when I leave, but he's getting better. I leave the TV on, usually I find a cartoon network with a lot of jibber jabber, plus, and this may sound stupid, I tell him I'm going to work.

Ask the Vet about something to help his anxiety when you leave, even just a little while until he gets use to you leaving.

Good Luck, and do not get rid of the dog. You'll regret it.

JourneyAbout

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    You have gotten some great advice here. Crate! Crate him even if he hates it. He will adjust. Do it randomly...sometimes leave...sometimes don't. Find a treat he absolutely can't resist and throw it in the back of the crate when you tell him to kennel....he will want to go in after it and he will be instantly rewarded. If you have a wire crate cover it so it is like a den and he is not just sitting there looking at you. Keep it in a separate room from where you work. I have a former rescue dog with separation anxiety...he had to make some adjustments but now he loves his crate and he will go in and out all day to take naps.

You need to be the boss...you are the dominant in this relationship. Don't be emotional. Expect good behavior and expect him to respect you. This is more of a reward for him than you would think because he WANTS you to be his leader.

He has a puppy brain in an adult body right now. If you can mold some good habits, in a year or two when he matures you will be greatly rewarded. Finding another home won't give him what he wants. There is hardly any situation where he could be with his owner 24/7 and in fact you are probably able to give him more than most in that regard. Every owner takes vacations, weekend trips, and most go to work every day.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You have gotten some great advice here. Crate! Crate him even if he hates it. He will adjust. Do it randomly...sometimes leave...sometimes don't. Find a treat he absolutely can't resist and throw it in the back of the crate when you tell him to kennel....he will want to go in after it and he will be instantly rewarded. If you have a wire crate cover it so it is like a den and he is not just sitting there looking at you. Keep it in a separate room from where you work. I have a former rescue dog with separation anxiety...he had to make some adjustments but now he loves his crate and he will go in and out all day to take naps.

You need to be the boss...you are the dominant in this relationship. Don't be emotional. Expect good behavior and expect him to respect you. This is more of a reward for him than you would think because he WANTS you to be his leader.

He has a puppy brain in an adult body right now. If you can mold some good habits, in a year or two when he matures you will be greatly rewarded. Finding another home won't give him what he wants. There is hardly any situation where he could be with his owner 24/7 and in fact you are probably able to give him more than most in that regard. Every owner takes vacations, weekend trips, and most go to work every day.
    This. You don't want him to associate the crate with you leaving, you want him to associate the crate with being his own space. Leave it out and always available. Initially you might have better luck putting him in the crate and keeping the crate in your work area. This way you get some work done and the dog sees that being in the crate doesn't necessarily mean that you're leaving. Eventually you should be able to move it to a more permanent location where he may or may not see you.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Can you hire a pet sitter to take him to a dog park or walk him for a couple hours while you work? Is there a doggy daycare in your area? Any neighbor kids or relatives that have taken a liking to him that could spend time with him to help wear him out?

Top Bottom