• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    I was recently at my LGS picking up some magazines and such. I was waiting for the guy to get off of the phone standing around by the counter. There was a guy ooglin' some AR platform and talking to the guy behind the counter about accessories. I heard the employee say something like "It's a pistol so you cant get forward grips for it." When I looked at it, everything seemed like a regular AR platform. I believe I even heard it was chambered in .223. So what am I not aware of here? Call me naïve or whatever, but what constitutes a pistol?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was recently at my LGS picking up some magazines and such. I was waiting for the guy to get off of the phone standing around by the counter. There was a guy ooglin' some AR platform and talking to the guy behind the counter about accessories. I heard the employee say something like "It's a pistol so you cant get forward grips for it." When I looked at it, everything seemed like a regular AR platform. I believe I even heard it was chambered in .223. So what am I not aware of here? Call me naïve or whatever, but what constitutes a pistol?

Generally speaking - the presense/absense of a shoulder stock.

Pistols are designed to be fired with one hand.

Things get murky when the overall length of the pistol goes beyond 26", I believe. There's a weird "tweener" category of "firearm" that's neither pistol nor rifle nor AOW. Those suckers you CAN put a vertical fore grip (VFG) on and be OK.

Want to know what's even more weird? You CAN put an Angled Fore Grip (AFG) on a pistol and be OK. You can even put a bipod on and hold/use it like a VFG.

Clear as mud? :rofl:

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    Generally speaking - the presense/absense of a shoulder stock.

Pistols are designed to be fired with one hand.

Things get murky when the overall length of the pistol goes beyond 26", I believe. There's a weird "tweener" category of "firearm" that's neither pistol nor rifle nor AOW. Those suckers you CAN put a vertical fore grip (VFG) on and be OK.

Want to know what's even more weird? You CAN put an Angled Fore Grip (AFG) on a pistol and be OK. You can even put a bipod on and hold/use it like a VFG.

Clear as mud? :rofl:

Sounds black & white to me. :whistle:
    What would the benefit be of it being labeled "pistol" instead of "long gun"? Regulation?

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Sounds black & white to me. :whistle:
    What would the benefit be of it being labeled "pistol" instead of "long gun"? Regulation?

With a "pistol" AR, you can have as short of a barrel as you want. When it's a rifle, it can't be less than 16" unless you want to deal with all the Class III hassle.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Sig PSB

And if the oal is over 26" you can put a vfg on it, it's still a pistol but it becomes a firearm and not deemed concealable like a pistol

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Men are visual. See if this helps. I can go into the statutes and letter rulings if you so desire.

NFA Rules on Pistols, PDWs, AOWs, and SBRs | EmptorMaven

NFA_Pistol_AOW_SBR-640.jpg

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Is there a maximum or minimum angle for it to be an AFG? Would it still be a pistol if the AFG was angled at 89 degrees instead of 90 degree?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    sj, to date, the angle of the Magpul AFG. (That's who asked).

This gosh darn iPad won't let me link to the &%$#@*& ATFE letter on the Magpul AFG. Can someone get it for me please?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm not sure the info contained on that graphic is correct.

Yes, the pistol shown with the VFG is now automagically an "AOW". But it's a $200 tax stamp for the manufacture of such. It's only $5 tax stamp if you TRANSFER an already manufactured AOW (like buying a Serbu / Keg to you from a gun shop).

-J-

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Good picture but it would be even better with one more ">26" pistol with a VFG". As mentioned by Indy guy upthread. ATF and their silly rules :nuts:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Does a sig brace measure into overall length? And are title two weapons free to cross state lines without prior consent unlike an SBR? I have been wanting a pap pistol with a sig brace for awhile! I have even seen guys are legally putting pistol buffer tubes on them and while it serves no purpose you can then have it be folding with the brace. But no VFG unless it counts into overall length or you send in with your $5... I am contemplating. I want a pistol not an SBR so I can move across state lines freely with it due to where I live and spend lots of time and even shoot.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    These are both pistols.

The lower one is a pistol, the one towards the top of the frame is an SBR.

I'm sure that's no more clear than logical, but there it is...

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Does a sig brace measure into overall length? And are title two weapons free to cross state lines without prior consent unlike an SBR? I have been wanting a pap pistol with a sig brace for awhile! I have even seen guys are legally putting pistol buffer tubes on them and while it serves no purpose you can then have it be folding with the brace. But no VFG unless it counts into overall length or you send in with your $5... I am contemplating. I want a pistol not an SBR so I can move across state lines freely with it due to where I live and spend lots of time and even shoot.
    I too would like to know the answer to this question.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I did a little research and it seems an AOW stamp lets you put a fore grip on a pistol. And most states recognize it, you don't have to fill out any paperwork to take them from state to state, just be certain the state allows it... I could be wrong but this is what I found.

Top Bottom